New Q5 Fenix: Should I go OP or Smooth Reflector?

Delta

Enlightened
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a P3D and need to know the real difference (and how much of one it is) between the Orange Peel and Smooth reflectors.

Help?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth with give you a bit more throw, but a ringy beam, OP will reduce throw and give you a smoother beam with brighter spill and larger hot spot.

Delta

Enlightened
Smooth with give you a bit more throw, but a ringy beam, OP will reduce throw and give you a smoother beam with brighter spill and larger hot spot.

So OP gives more of a "wall of light" effect?
Hmmm...tough choice. Still.

Germ

Enlightened
For a short while I had a P1D CE with a smooth reflector and a P1D CE Q5 with the orange peel reflector. The lights were really indistinguishable for throw. The orange peel reflector made for a smoother beam. The Q5 and orange peel reflector gave a bigger hotspot and brighter spill which made what I felt was a better beam for hiking as it lit a wide area really well. I sent the smooth reflectored light back.

My vote will be for the orange peel. I'm amazed at how bright the P1D CE Q5 is. You should love the P3D.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want throw and a smooth beams and don't mind a bigger size, the Olight T20 Q5 has more throw and also a half and half reflector.

In real life, the ring is not noticeable and you will be fine with both lights. The OP reflector gives a smoother beam and the smooth reflector gives a bit more throw.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
For a short while I had a P1D CE with a smooth reflector and a P1D CE Q5 with the orange peel reflector. The lights were really indistinguishable for throw. The orange peel reflector made for a smoother beam. The Q5 and orange peel reflector gave a bigger hotspot and brighter spill which made what I felt was a better beam for hiking as it lit a wide area really well. I sent the smooth reflectored light back.

My vote will be for the orange peel. I'm amazed at how bright the P1D CE Q5 is. You should love the P3D.

I have Olive P3D Q5 with op reflector on shipment, Also I have P3D REB100, any different between them both?

d_rasp

Newly Enlightened
Just got my P3D Q5 w/ standard OP reflector (check the thread in the dealer's forum where David from the Fenix Store announces the new lights - he offers to swap reflectors for those who prefer the smooth). I still use my Inova T4 which is all about throw, so I'm glad to have a smooth/wide spill light. The T4 is nearly worthless for walking at dark. . .

Chao

Enlightened
I got my P3DQ5 today from fenix store, it's smooth reflector, yes, I requested to swap reflector, throw sure is good (about 3500 lux at 1m), and the dark ring for me is not noticeable, just disappoint with the tool damage in the head surface, I would suggest if you like the smooth reflector and want to prevent the risk of modification, get the light with the smooth reflector that was installed by manufacture

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
I got my P3DQ5 today from fenix store, it's smooth reflector, yes, I requested to swap reflector, throw sure is good (about 3500 lux at 1m), and the dark ring for me is not noticeable, just disappoint with the tool damage in the head surface, I would suggest if you like the smooth reflector and want to prevent the risk of modification, get the light with the smooth reflector that was installed by manufacture

Its that smooth reflector damage from swapping?

yalskey

Enlightened
I find that my OP P3D-Q5 has the same throw, if not a slight bit more throw then my P3D-CE (160 lm ver.) with a smooth reflector.

It definately smooths out the beam up close; but for far away throw you won't see ringiness even on the smooth.