1D Flashlight Kit by Maratac

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just read the description on web site, and it does not make sense.

they claim

• Using a single Duracell D Cell battery we got the following results:

• Constant On, Low mode, 50 lumens output for up to 110 hours
  • Constant On, High mode, 570 lumens output for up to 6.5 Hours
these numbers do not make sense.

for xpl to emit 570lm it needs to be driven at over 1A. as per datasheet

for a driver to supply an xpl led with 1A at 3v it needs to pull over 2A from a cell.

Duracell d cell has 10ah at 500ma draw,
and it drops dramatically with more current, at 2A it will have less than a third of capacity. there is no way their numbers are true.

another thing is, i tried dozen or more different boost drivers with 1D cell, and none really puts out more than 700ma. some do put out an amp, but only few minutes from fresh cells

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well I'll tell you how long she will run on low. Started a test with mine a little while ago.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpl needs less than 100ma and about 2,6v for 50lm, meaning pulling about 200ma or less from a cell, at that draw d will have 12-15mah, capacity, it may just be very close to numbers listed, or even dead on. numbers add up

it is the high mode i have serious doubts about. those numbers do not add up. numbers would be close if you did not consider dramatic capacity drop vs current, for a alkaline D cell. and just recalculated based on low draw capacity.
in any case real world test should show if i'm right or wrong.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
xpl needs less than 100ma and about 2,6v for 50lm, meaning pulling about 200ma or less from a cell, at that draw d will have 12-15mah, capacity, it may just be very close to numbers listed, or even dead on. numbers add up

but it is the high mode i have serious doubts about. those numbers do not ad up

Well then I'll hold off on low and do high first. Don't feel like waiting 100 hours anyway.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
One thing that might make the numbers work is output. I'm not setup to measure lumens but doing a Ceiling bounce test tells me it's not as bright as my Malkoff's. M61 new or old version. It's plenty bright but I'd say 300-350 lumens. I may be wrong as I say I have no real way to check.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just read the description on web site, and it does not make sense.

they claim

• Using a single Duracell D Cell battery we got the following results:

• Constant On, Low mode, 50 lumens output for up to 110 hours
  • Constant On, High mode, 570 lumens output for up to 6.5 Hours
these numbers do not make sense.

for xpl to emit 570lm it needs to be driven at over 1A. as per datasheet

for a driver to supply an xpl led with 1A at 3v it needs to pull over 2A from a cell.

Duracell d cell has 10ah at 500ma draw,
and it drops dramatically with more current, at 2A it will have less than a third of capacity. there is no way their numbers are true.

another thing is, i tried dozen or more different boost drivers with 1D cell, and none really puts out more than 700ma. some do put out an amp, but only few minutes from fresh cells

Is there a step down?

If so that could explain it. Even if there is none, you should be able to get over 5 hrs running a 11000 mAh NiMH drawing 2 Amps:

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Soshine D 11000mAh (White) UK.html

BTW I think the high modes on these are too high, they don't appear to be throwers so most of those lumens would be a waste to me....might even just put up a wall of light that I really don't like.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's not a big thrower no. It's ment to kinda be a flood/wall of light. But it does have some throw to it

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well that's 2 hours in and haven't seen it step down yet. And as it gets darker here I'm going to say that it actually does have some good throw.

Edit::: 3 hours 35 minutes and it's dimmer but not by much but still going strong.

4 hours 35 minutes dropped a little more still very bright

Ok. That's 6 hours and 35 minutes and still going strong it ain't 570 lumens but then again it's very doubtful that it was to start with. My guess is it's still very close to 75 lumens or so. Still lights up a 12X12 room nicely when shot at the ceiling.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ended the test at 10 hours was still putting out plenty of light to see but when I switched it off to see what low looked like it was done and would not turn back on.battery was at .850 not a bad light at all imo.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
And the cool thing about alkaline batteries is there ability to "bounce back" had the D-cell out for 3 hours or so and it's back up to 1.3 volts and it's back in the light for I'm sure many more hours. This truly is a great emergency/survival light.im going to keep L91's in the carrier.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a real nice light for emergencies.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That's exactly what it's geared for. I should grab another one before they sell out.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about getting the "C" one, and still might, but I figured the "D" version is a lot more versatile being able to run various "AA"s as well as the "D"s. The size would be the advantage with the "C" version.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The C-cell is a lot smaller and can take AAA but it's not as bright and more importantly at least to me is the C-cell doesn't come close to the runtime you get with the D-cell.i think that's this lights main function.but that C-cell does look cool as well.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just when I think my light collection is complete something like this comes along......

A 1D is awesome and such a rare form factor!

Whoever has one I'm guessing there is a boost driver in this? If so I'm guessing running a Li-Ion cell would kill it. Although I've used a single Li-Ion with a direct drive just fine so it might. I doubt any Li-Ion would fit anyway. A 26650 is much longer than a D cell. I don't know of a D sized Li-Ion.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well the battery carrier uses the 4 AA in series. I tested over 7 volts acrossed it when loaded with L91's.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to keep it stored up in reserve, you probably don't want an alkaline battery in it.

Loading the 4xAA carrier with 4 L91s is a good solution.

It's a little low on total capacity, though: each L91 is 3ah x 1.5v for about 4.5 watt-hours per cell, so 18 watt-hours for the whole assembly.
As opposed to (19ah x 1.5v) or about 28 watt-hours for a high-quality alkaline D-cell

For more money, you could also try one of the lithium primary Cells, like the Saft LSH20.

With a capacity of 13 amp-hours and a voltage of 3.6v, that's about 47 watt-hours of energy content. Over twice the content of a set of L91s.

(The Xeno XL205F is less expensive, and claims 19 amp-hours for a whopping 68 watt-hours of energy, but I think it is more likely that they have exaggerated than that Saft is being modest. Saft is a very reputable brand.)

One nice thing about this light is that the low-mode is the same whether you run it on a single D-cell or on the 4AA configuration. That means that its output on low is independent of the input voltage. And that, in turn, means that with a Lithium primary on low you would not get a brighter low, but instead a longer-lasting low.

And a 10-year shelf-life. And good performance down to -40 below.

Sigh. Hell. I am talking myself into wanting one of these.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a little low on total capacity, though: each L91 is 3ah x 1.5v for about 4.5 watt-hours per cell, so 18 watt-hours for the whole assembly.
As opposed to (19ah x 1.5v) or about 28 watt-hours for a high-quality alkaline D-cell

19ah you only get under 200ma or less , at 600-700ma load D cell has about 7-8 ah.