1D Flashlight Kit by Maratac

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed that the 1C was 50% off and the 1D was, well, on sale, but not quite 50% off...so I bought both of them.

They're heavy for their size and built super solid. The threads came lubed, but it's still a two handed job to turn the lights on or off. There's no detectable PWM in the low mode and the beam is a nice compromise between flood and throw. They tail stand better than any other light I've tried (combination of width and weight) and the tailcap has flat spots that provide decent anti-roll capability.

They are both way too chunky to be EDC lights, but should work well as a house light or part of an emergency kit. The 4-cell carriers for AAA and AA cells seems well made and I verified that the lights work fine with them, but I put them away since I already have plenty of lights that use AAA or AA cells. These new lights are for C and D cells!

I do not have a tripod to connect to these lights, but now I'm tempted to pick one up. Maybe one of those little ones with the three bendy legs so I can aim the lights at whatever angle I want...

Between the two of them, the 1C is the better deal. It's way more comfortable in hand, lighter, fits in a pocket, and still has enough extra capacity over an AA light to be worth dealing with the extra size. But I'm glad I got both.

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My D cell is in my GTB in my vehicle along with my walking stick. I put a threaded stud on the end of my stick so if need be I could screw the light right on the end of it. Kinda lame looking with that big light on the stick but would come in real handy if I had to huff it home. Plus it makes me feel like Gandolf😁

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you find them 50% off? The only site that seems to have them is County Comm and they are still $44.50. I've wanted a 1C and 1D forever but I just can't see spending $45 on a 1C or 1D that I won't use often. They both look like awesome lights!!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Wondering that myself. Wouldn't mind a 1-C. I see next to the price it says save $23 dollars which is half the price. Maybe that's what he's seeing. Think that's just off the retail price. Idk

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1C at County Comm was 50% when I bought it. The 1D was also for sale, but not by as much.

Might have just been a special deal that lasted a couple of days. I found out about it because County Comm sent me an email about the sale.

I really like both lights, but I do have trouble recommending them simply because of the price. Right now, they're a boutique item for folks who are willing to spend the money for a niche item.

--flatline

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these single C & D lights are very tempting for all the reasons mentioned.

No one has mentioned, but there are such things as C and D sized LSD NiMH cells, such as Accupower Acculoop. They won't produce the same capacities as Alkaline, but they also won't leak and destroy the light. Though they're not exactly cheap, how many would be needed to support the light? Even with reduced runtimes, could probably get away with having just 1 or 2 NiMH secondaries.

Has anyone considered swapping the limited 2 mode driver for something with a more acceptable low, and perhaps giving up the 4 cell higher brightnesses? Or maybe not give anything up... fitting a driver in such as that from a Tool AA could allow both battery configurations. Even just an emitter swap to something High CRI and a lower temperature, say 2000K, would somewhat restrict the brightness.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maratac 1C and 1D: do I need these? No. Do I want them? Yes... These remind of common 4AA and single 26650 lights. I like the stable tailstanding of this design. At low mode they can be used many hours for extra indoors lighting, or for camping.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can those that already have the 1D Maratac please confirm whether there is any PWM? The first gen 2 mode AA Maratacs used PWM in the low mode, and I believe even the current gen AA Maratacs still utilize PWM. I am concerned the same might be true with the 1D. I do not care if it can be seen or not, I'd like to know if PWM is actually there, so the smart phone camera test is probably the easiest way to see if it can't be seen just waving it around. I appreciate any taking the time to find out.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't detect any PWM on either the 1C or 1D that I have. My phone camera shows no weirdness and I've never seen it in use (I'm normally pretty sensitive to PWM).

--flatline

thermal guy

Flashaholic
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car😁

Sry couldn't stop myself

Latest posts