1D Flashlight Kit by Maratac

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a slight problem. Ordered the D1 Maratac, should be in today. Ordered a couple Acculoop D cells for it, and they just arrived. I did not realize they do not fit in my NiteCore D4 Digicharger.

What charger is recommended for charging D size NiMH? Only have the two cells, so a 1 or 2 bay charger would be ideal. Thanks.

Forgot about the Olight UC charger, perfect size and price. Depends on charging current being high enough. 500mA charge current for NiMH is kind of slow for such a large cap cell. But I can just time the charge rather than wait for termination that it may miss.

Edit: says it charges C cells but doesn't list D cells. I just bought one. 10 bucks, I'm sure it will be fine.

But what are you guys using? Alkaline? I guess I can get a couple of those and just never leave them in the light.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a slight problem. Ordered the D1 Maratac, should be in today. Ordered a couple Acculoop D cells for it, and they just arrived. I did not realize they do not fit in my NiteCore D4 Digicharger.

What charger is recommended for charging D size NiMH? Only have the two cells, so a 1 or 2 bay charger would be ideal. Thanks.

Forgot about the Olight UC charger, perfect size and price. Depends on charging current being high enough. 500mA charge current for NiMH is kind of slow for such a large cap cell. But I can just time the charge rather than wait for termination that it may miss.

Edit: says it charges C cells but doesn't list D cells. I just bought one. 10 bucks, I'm sure it will be fine.

But what are you guys using? Alkaline? I guess I can get a couple of those and just never leave them in the light.

Some people have made charging cradle adapters for C/D cells and used AA based chargers but you may have to do several cycles of charging if the charger times out after a certain amount of mah and even at that the charge will be slow as these batteries can have 4 to even 10 Ah and a AA charger may do 2Ah many only 1Ah if even that. The charging adapters are essentially a 1 cell holder and wires/clips to attach to the charger itself (external design).

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I am going to try to work the Olight UC charger. It is ideal in one way, and really cheap, but not ideal on the current. But I only have 2 cells, so I'll only have to watch the charging of 1D at a time. If it doesn't work, I'll still have use for that charger.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that use with a D cell, it wants a sleeve... battery is too loose and bangs around.

1D Maratac is surprisingly a pretty decent thrower.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that use with a D cell, it wants a sleeve... battery is too loose and bangs around.

A sleeve is essential for these lights. Cell bangs around and damage to the cell will accumulate. Who can make some Delrin battery sleeves? Suggestions? Should I get some signatures together and write County Comm to create and sell them? If you're using AA/AAA, plz ignore.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get considerable rattle with one cell in both the 1D and 1C versions. Just shaking the light a little bangs the cell against the walls of the battery tube. I suppose if you are super gentle and never submit the lights to any G forces, the cell may remain centered and never touch the walls, but I have light friction damage to one of my new cells already, and I haven't dropped the light or anything. If carried in a cargo pocket on the thigh, you'll hear and feel the rattle (wrong word, better word is "banging") just walking at a normal pace.