2-Mode Maglite 2C ML25LT (192 Lumen) questions

TwiceFuzed

Newly Enlightened
I'm really enjoying my ML25LT when it has fresh batteries. Once the batteries drop down to 1.32 volts each or ~2.65 volts together, the lights do not want to turn on in high mode most of the time. It will reliably turn on, but it comes on either in low mode or sometimes it turns on with an output that is less than low mode. Cycling it from off to on a few times will usually get it to come on in high mode. It does this with both my Amazonbasics C rechargeable batteries and brand new AA eneloops in C adapters.

I ran down a set of eneloops a tad until it started having the switching issue and then got it to turn on in high mode and let it run in high mode for around 2 hours until the batteries were almost completely discharged and it dimmed significantly. The batteries can clearly put out plenty of current to run the light. However, unless the batteries are fresh off the charger it is difficult to get the lights to turn on in high mode.

Both of my brand new ML25LTs do this. Is anybody else having this issue?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really enjoying my ML25LT when it has fresh batteries. Once the batteries drop down to 1.32 volts each or ~2.65 volts together, the lights do not want to turn on in high mode most of the time. It will reliably turn on, but it comes on either in low mode or sometimes it turns on with an output that is less than low mode. Cycling it from off to on a few times will usually get it to come on in high mode. It does this with both my Amazonbasics C rechargeable batteries and brand new AA eneloops in C adapters.

I ran down a set of eneloops a tad until it started having the switching issue and then got it to turn on in high mode and let it run in high mode for around 2 hours until the batteries were almost completely discharged and it dimmed significantly. The batteries can clearly put out plenty of current to run the light. However, unless the batteries are fresh off the charger it is difficult to get the lights to turn on in high mode.

Both of my brand new ML25LTs do this. Is anybody else having this issue?

Never had that problem, just tried it with some partially depleted soshine C's @ 1.25 and 1.28 Volts and it had no problem turning on in high. If you are sure your cells are good, I would suggest cleaning the contacts in the tail and re-lubing them and make sure you are snugging the tail cap down all the way after you put the batteries in.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last evening I was looking for a metal cooking sheet under a cabinet in a size smaller than normal. The cabinet was dark, the cooking sheets are dark too. Looking around for a flashlight Mrs Fixers red "to my sweetheart" ML25 was handy so I shined it under the cabinet. Yikes! Everything was shiney so flashback was terrible……"where's low, where's low?" as I was twisting it back n forth and back n forth. It's outfitted with C sized rechargeables and definitely started out on high.

That was the one time I found the thrower beam to be unuseable simply because 6-12 inches from the beam were a bunch of shiney objects. I did manage to squint enough to find the proper cooking sheet.

I did some regulation checks on the gen 1 since it was supposed to play out at 2 hours. It lasted a little longer than that. I have not checked to output of the gen 2 since it is supposed to last 7 hours. I just have not found the motivation to wait 7 hours to see how it handles. But from posts above it sounds like Maglite used a similar method of regulation not unlike the gen 1 three cell version. In the power management box they use the word "basic" for whatever that is worth. In the description of numerous Maglite models they use the phrase "up to xx lumens". I do not see that in the ML25 description at Maglites web store.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the low mode all the time inside, though I can get by in high mode if I leave the spot defocused and use the spill.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just switch to a spectrum warm aaa minimag. But yesterday I would have had reach an extra 3 feet. :fail:

It was like this, I had walked a lot and stood a lot at work and my knees were about as flexible as a 2x4 and I was kneeling to see in the cabinet. Now I found Mrs Fixers ML25 within arms reach. I could've stood up and enjoyed the snap, crackle, pop of my knees, grabbed said aaa minimag or stay knelt and just take the retina seer taking place. I chose what seemed like the lesser of two evils as the decision to use the cooking sheet was based on a whim.

After supper I drove a small nail on the inside of the cabinet door and hung a solitaire on the nail……

Edit: this evening I grabbed a gen 1 to bring the trash bin back to the loading area. I was quickly reminded why I liked the ML25 when they first arrived back in 016. What a great flashlight that ML25LT is.

Last edited: