2 stage switch for "E" series

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: 2 stage switch for \"E\" series

Tyler,

A simple modification of the main body of the "Classic" LOTC on a lathe can get you there. The best solution would be to have an additional part made in brass and then EN plated with which the resistor PCB would actually be soldered to. I have given this some thought but I would need to have 1000 of these made and given the fact that the SF LOTC's are being phased out and not knowing how many folks would be interested in a two stage mod of LOTC's supplied by them, for their KL5 and KL6's, I have not proceeded with this to date. I sort of have my hands full right now with these switches, new reflectors, battery tubes and new heads all in the works! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I have converted most of mine over to two stage and I can't imagine that I will be doing any more lights with just single level output.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don:

Maybe a bit off topic! Your new guarded tailcap. Is this a LOTC replica with a guard? Can you install the guts from a Z57 in it?

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
given the fact that the SF LOTC's are being phased out...

[/ QUOTE ]

What?? Did I miss something? Are they moving exclusively to clickies or just redesigning the LOTC?

HgRyu

Enlightened

I just got a 22ohm switch for PR-T DB1000 and it is great.
Thanks Don.

But I must turn tailcap too much for lock out position, almost you can see the O-ring in tail of body. So, I turn head instead of tail for lock out function.

Any suggestion or advice ?

Thanks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Tyler,
I guess the deal will be that all of the LED lights will have clickies as well as the E1e and E2e. LOTC's will still come with the milenium (sp) as well as the wine lights and I think the classic incandescents. So if someone with a L5 wants a two stage, they need a Classic LOTC that doesn't come with the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

HgRyu,

Sorry but probably buried somewhere here is the fact that the Lock Out feature is lost or not to be counted on with these two stage mods. I believe turning the head is a better method, even with the L1,L2and A2 which do have lock out. I think it is easier to do a slight unscrew on the head and then re tighten and know that yout tail switch is as you left it adjusted.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Go for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You did have some long runtime tests where there was no problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I am more comfortable after Wayne's comments on this issue.

EDIT: it will be interesting to see if the 1.7 ohm drops the new head down to the same level of light as before.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don:

Got the PR 5W BB750 today! Didn't think USPS was that fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The tint is a bit cooler than my previous one which is good. It draws a bit less current 1.82A compared to 1.9A. The max output is around 1130 lux which is about 30 lux than the previous, undetectable by my eyes!

Low with the 1.7 ohm McE2S is 400 lux comparded to 375 lux and is drawing .78A. It was getting .5A with the other head but I had a much better setup this time for measuring current. The .5A could have been wrong.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Keep us posted on how the light "weathers". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Keep us posted on how the light "weathers". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Don:

I forgot to add, it looks real nice too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Thanks Bill,

I bet it was the liberal and free form use of the subtle nail polish that really won you over! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, your next challenge will be to make a 2-stage clicky tailcap mod. Is that even possible? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The latching would not be trivial and various strategies would need to be considered on where and how latching would occur and be released. This is not a project I could take on with current resources, knowledge and likely financial cost/ benefits. I believe the term is "pass". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

utomatoe

Enlightened

Just got my 2-stage 60 ohm switch and it works like a charm. My only concern is that I have to unscrew it I think almost 1- 1.5 full revolutions before the light turns off.

Is it possible to shorten the spring or screw it down further so I can keep the switch screwed down further?

Otherwise, fantastic job, looking forward to guarded TK switches! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
The latching would not be trivial and various strategies would need to be considered on where and how latching would occur and be released. This is not a project I could take on with current resources, knowledge and likely financial cost/ benefits. I believe the term is "pass". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, what I had in mind was light pressure for low, harder for high then fully depress for constant on at high only. Aw, c'mon, nothing's to difficult for the McGizmo the Wizard of Lights & Don of Mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
utomatoe said:
Just got my 2-stage 60 ohm switch and it works like a charm. My only concern is that I have to unscrew it I think almost 1- 1.5 full revolutions before the light turns off.

Is it possible to shorten the spring or screw it down further so I can keep the switch screwed down further?

Otherwise, fantastic job, looking forward to guarded TK switches! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, again replying on McGizmo's behalf, his recommendation is that you give the HEAD a half turn instead to easily & effectively lock out the light, whilst also eliminating the need to 'fine tune' the tailcap position again each time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question: I know next to nothing about ohm's & stuff, but I'm slowly leaning.

I'm about to have a tailcap built for me. What one do I want that gives brightness around a Arc-AA for a 5 watt PR-T head?

Thanks,

Brian