2002 VW Jetta best 9007

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
do auto parts stores carry these extreme power bulbs? if not, is there a preferred online vendor folks use?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Post #6 in this thread contains a link to Candlepower (no relation to this site, but a reliable US vendor of the Xtreme Power bulbs). There may be others.

EndOfTheTunnel

Newly Enlightened
As the question was raised in this thread, and this thread isn't that old, I thought I might chime in with a suggestion (and to get my post count up :grin2:). When using relays in order to get brighter light out of headlights that use the low beam for DRLs - my car uses 9007 bulbs, as does the OP - do you really want to bother with brighter low beams? For myself, it's all about the high beams, travelling down dark country roads. Where low/dipped beams are being used, I really don't see the need to squeeze every bit of light out of them at the expense of proper or even more complex DRL functionality. That's just my opinion, of course.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
I take your point. Around here we had a LOT of unlighted streets that have constant (not generally "heavy") traffic and vast numbers of deer.

I can switch for high to low (for on coming cars) and back 20+ times in a mile. For me, having more light from my low beams is a valuable thing as long as it doesn't bother other drivers (eg - properly aimed). Short of adding relays, the Philips bulbs do help some.

Also, to answer an earlier question, the DRLs do not seem to be less intense than the low beams. Sitting in the driveway in the dark, lights on the closed garage door, I switched from DRLs to low beams and could not perceive any difference in brightness or color. Just FYI...

Ken

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I resurrected this thread for its original topic - best 9007 (and comparisons with 9007's).

I was talking about a possible headlight swap on Crownvic.net, and I mentioned the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs. One member asked this:
I have GE Nighthawk's in my vic, Which i know 1-2yr's ago were on top. You think i would even notice a difference to switch to these Xtreme powers? Or would it just not be worth the price for the small gain?

I don't think I see Nighthawks mentioned here, so I'll ask. I'll tell the fellow that I'm inquiring here, where there are answers. I think my general answer to a Crownvic.net member will be that the Xtreme Power will give the most light, best aligned and defined, that you'll find in a standard wattage 9007, but if it's in a poor headlight, it's still going to be a poor headlight. It will not look like you put in a 100 watt rally bulb.

On the DRL issue, I seem to recall my 1996 Suburban ran low beams at full voltage (until, happily, the DRL quit). But I also recall Canadian cars that appeared to be running HIGH beams at reduced voltage for DRL's. I'm out of date on this, but I'm sure the rules are different for the two countries. Last time I checked, DRL's were not required at all in the U.S. But I imagine there are rules that apply to those cars which have them. The Government loves rules.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
the Xtreme Power will give the most light, best aligned and defined, that you'll find in a standard wattage 9007, but if it's in a poor headlight, it's still going to be a poor headlight.

Correct. The Xtreme Power is a step up in beam focus and output from the Night Hawk.

It will not look like you put in a 100 watt rally bulb.

Right, it'll look better, because there aren't any 100w 9007 bulbs made well enough to do anything but completely destroy the beam focus...until the heat damage occurs and the whole mess has to be scraped off the car.

I seem to recall my 1996 Suburban ran low beams at full voltage (until, happily, the DRL quit). But I also recall Canadian cars that appeared to be running HIGH beams at reduced voltage for DRL's.

Yes, that family of full-size Chevrolet and GMC trucks used low beam DRLs in the US and high beam DRLs in Canada. At the time, the US regulation included a maximum mounting height for DRLs producing over 3,000 candela on axis, which was not present in the Canadian regulation. Manufacturers like high beam DRLs because they reduce bulb-replacement warranty complaints from vehicle owners.

Last time I checked, DRL's were not required at all in the U.S. But I imagine there are rules that apply to those cars which have them.

Correct on both counts.

The Government loves rules.

Maybe, but what's your proposed alternative?

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Right, it'll look better, because there aren't any 100w 9007 bulbs made well enough to do anything but completely destroy the beam focus...until the heat damage occurs and the whole mess has to be scraped off the car.

Well, yeah, there is that.. Probably why I got a couple of "100 watt 9005" bulbs a few years ago (when I finally tested them, volts x amps looked more like 75w), but chickened out and never installed them in the little plastic high beams of my Suburban. I've had fair survival rates for 7" round and 200mm rectangular Cibie or Hella lights with 80/100 H4's, but even the 5-3/4" Cibie lights used to crack from time to time, and those are all glass and metal lamps. In finally sank in that "overwatt = overheat."

Quote:
The Government loves rules.
Maybe, but what's your proposed alternative?

In short? Less Government and more elbowroom. Dig out your Notebooks of Lazarus Long by Heinlein (I can send it to you as a Word file if you don't have one). Unfortunately, we've turned our energies toward war and achieving power over others, instead of exploring the Final Frontier. But this discussion could go FAR from lighting, and use up MANY drinks..... :cool:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I loved Rocky & Bullwinkle! Sad that my grandkids can't watch it.

I guess, for one blessed/cursed with 9007 headlights, auxiliary lights are on the list. Besides, it seems like more lights, better lights, bigger lights usually succeeds better than more watts crammed into existing smaller lights.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, yeah, there is that.. Probably why I got a couple of "100 watt 9005" bulbs a few years ago (when I finally tested them, volts x amps looked more like 75w), but chickened out and never installed them in the little plastic high beams of my Suburban. I've had fair survival rates for 7" round and 200mm rectangular Cibie or Hella lights with 80/100 H4's, but even the 5-3/4" Cibie lights used to crack from time to time, and those are all glass and metal lamps. In finally sank in that "overwatt = overheat."

Probably saved yourself from an underhood fire with chickening out.

While I've read and enjoyed a few Heinlein books, I try not to lionize an author who glorifies incest.

I also shudder to think what our poisons our packaged foods would have and what deathtraps our cars would be if it weren't for government regulations.

Scheinwerfermann said:
Bullwinkle: This time for sure!

Rocky: And now, here's something we hope you'll really like.

Yes, Rocky and Bullwinkle is a classic. If you have a Netflix account, you can watch it instantly or just rent the DVDs, too.

I also know a guy whose Bullwinkle impression is absolutely spot on -- I try to get him to do one for me at least once a month.

Last edited: