2007 SF L1 - Is there a pic of it online?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well some of the information I've heard says that the L6 would'nt be upgraded "right away", not to say it won't happen in the future..

SunStar

Enlightened
Hey Bug... just sitting here thinking the same thing. The new L1 with teeth might even work. It seems to me that an LED would be more reliable in an impact light anyway.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
BugOutGear_USA said:
Hope to see an LED version of the E2D!

Well I guess you could put a black KL1 head (or KX1 head now) and put it on the E2D, but you would only have the crenalations on the tail.

Size15's

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
Ok let me clear something up. There was a description from another CPFer' at SHOT that stated the KX5 was for the E-series bodies. I take it that this is not correct?

The KX5 (new version of the KL5) is for standard bodies (6P/G2 etc)

The KX1 (new version of the KL1) is for E-Series bodies (E1e/E2e etc)

Size15's

Flashaholic
slick228 said:
Does the new Cree base E1L and E2L share the same LED bezel? Can the new KX1 run on 3V to 9V as well?

Yes, the KX1 will be the new bezel for the E1L and E2L.

At this point (which is prior to these new Cree bezels being released) I suggest that things have not yet been finalised. At this point do not assume that the KX1 and KX5 will be able to handle any anything other than the combinations thus far demonstrated:

KX1 bezel - one or two SF123A's

KX5 bezel - two SF123A's

Many things can and likely will change as these new bezels are made ready for production. Final ratings such as lumen output and runtime may change as SureFire fine-tune their products.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
Sweet. I hope they make it in black as well. Thanks Al!
Indeed - the KX5 will be released in HA (KX5-HA-WH) for the M2/L5/M95 bodies and standard black (KX5-BK-WH) for 6P/Z2/Classic WeaponLight series bodies

Size15's

Flashaholic
KDOG3 said:
Well some of the information I've heard says that the L6 would'nt be upgraded "right away", not to say it won't happen in the future..
PK stated that they have not yet decided how to proceed with the larger reflector-based models currently using LuxeonV's. I understand SureFire are not happy with how tight the beams are when Crees are "dropped in" - the light distribution of a SureFire beam is intended to allow the operator to easily illuminate the face and hands of a 'suspect' at the ranges they typically experience (which is roughly 30 yards for handgun users I believe)
Whether SureFire end up using a Cree or a as-yet-unidentified LED was not answered.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesssss! I've always liked the classic look of the 6P, with the KX5 (and a McE2S 2-stage switch in the tailcap) I think I'll like that one!

Would anyone know off chance just how much longer the bezel is than the stock?

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Size15's said:
PK stated that they have not yet decided how to proceed with the larger reflector-based models currently using LuxeonV's. I understand SureFire are not happy with how tight the beams are when Crees are "dropped in" - the light distribution of a SureFire beam is intended to allow the operator to easily illuminate the face and hands of a 'suspect' at the ranges they typically experience (which is roughly 30 yards for handgun users I believe)
Whether SureFire end up using a Cree or a as-yet-unidentified LED was not answered.

What (if anything) was said about the U2 at the party? It sort of falls in between. Regarding the L6, couldn't they get 120 lumens by using a K2 in 3x123 models in the meantime?

slick228

Newly Enlightened
Size15's,

Thank you for providing us with an extensive response to our questions. Do you know if the KL4 is going to be upgraded as well? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you!

rgc

Newly Enlightened
I was first looking at the new L1 due to the 65 lumes, but I too love the low on my L1 for tasks at hand in total darkness.

BUT THEN I SAW IT! The new E1l at 30 lumes for 70 hrs! As a guy who likes to camp, hunt and hike, to get that kind of time off of one battery . . . WOW!

Surefire may have just made my perfect light.

Any news on when dealers will have the new E1l to sell?

Xygen

Enlightened
Al, what would we do without you? Great info! Thanks alot!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sort of like the KL4 just the way it is (since I own several of them) The kl4 is fine just like it is. Unfortunately I don't see SureFire leaving it alone when they can make a big improvement to the kl4 by changing out the LUX V emitter with a Seoul high output high efficiency emitter.
Ah heck What it means is that I will have to go out and buy a couple new KL4's. Oh well. More stuff to play Lego's with I guess.
Yaesumofo

Size15's

Flashaholic
KROMATICS said:
What (if anything) was said about the U2 at the party? It sort of falls in between.
The U2 at PK's party featured a Cree - I got the impression it was used to demonstrate that the beam produced by the Cree LED in the KL5/KL6/KL7/U2 reflector is too tight for SureFire to simply replace the LuxeonV - it does not produce the beam operators require.
KROMATICS said:
Regarding the L6, couldn't they get 120 lumens by using a K2 in 3x123 models in the meantime?
SureFire can do many things. However, I very much doubt they will do half measures. When they decide to change these larger reflector LED models I think they'll go for the LED they want to use.

slick228 said:
Do you know if the KL4 is going to be upgraded as well?
I get the impression SureFire do not have a strong desire to change the L4 and L2 models at this point. They can make far more of a difference by changing the other models first.

flash99dark said:
Do you know if the New KX5 will be able to use 17670/18650 rechargables?.....William
No I don't. Since these rechargeable batteries are not SureFire rechargeable batteries I suggest the situation will remain the same: Use aftermarket batteries at your own risk.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
I can't wait for this light to come out. The new L1 is probably going to be my new EDC and work light. Does anyone know when the lights will be for sale?

Heck

Enlightened
I'm a bit confused regarding the KX5. Is it really a replacement for the KL3 (optic)? or KL5 (reflector)? As it's been said it will replace the M2/L5/M95, so I assumed KL5, but then the mention of not knowing what to do with the "reflector-ed" Lux V series seems to me that a new KL5 also will come out eventually with maybe more lumens since they said the cree in the U2 can be good for 200 lumens?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Heck said:
I'm a bit confused regarding the KX5. Is it really a replacement for the KL3 (optic)? or KL5 (reflector)? As it's been said it will replace the M2/L5/M95, so I assumed KL5, but then the mention of not knowing what to do with the "reflector-ed" Lux V series seems to me that a new KL5 also will come out eventually with maybe more lumens since they said the cree in the U2 can be good for 200 lumens?
You have a good question.
The problem is that the KL3 has no host flashlight combination like the KL5 does (there is no L3 featuring the KL3).
The problem is that the KL3 is not nearly as powerful as the KL5 and since it is the KL5 that is being replaced it makes sense to replace it rather than replace the KL3 and discontinue the KL5/L5 and start new with a new KX3 and L3.

So I suggest its not worth getting hungup on the fact that the KX5 has a TIR optic compared to the KL5's reflector. This is because the KX5's TIR optic does for the first time make a very good job of replacing a reflector in terms of light distribution in the beam.

This also leaves SureFire the option of replacing the KL3 with a KX3 in due time - perhaps such a bezel will have a lower output and longer runtime - similar to how the KL3 compares to the KL5 at the moment.

Al