Zebralight H60

EuphoricGrIn

Newly Enlightened
It seems the H60 just made it's first appearance on the zebralight website - it's listed as "out of stock", but there is a photo, and a price... $79(!) - which is really steep, especially if all we're looking at is an somewhat larger version of the H30, with the same emitter and a "tweaked" driver. Do the increase in size and somewhat more complex heat dissipation measures really justify a 60%+ price premium?

[FONT=&quot]
H60_1_large.jpg

[/FONT]

BTW, I have an H30 and love it.

Last edited:

brjones

Newly Enlightened
It has arrived! Sweet! Nice looking, very interesting and sophisticated-looking. Button looks flush/recessed this time, unlike the H30 which has a protruding button, which is nice when on your head, but helped put me off as I had wanted to use the H30 as a large keychain light (you can still partially unscrew it, I hear, but then it's a twisty-clicky). I find it a little ironic that the button types aren't reversed for those models.

Here are the close-ups. Only 1 photo of the H60 on the website yet but it is a good one:

H60 closeup
http://www.zebralight.com/includes/templates/zebra/images/H60_1_large.jpg

H30 closeup
http://www.zebralight.com/includes/templates/zebra/images/H30_1_large.jpg

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but what I said above about the buttons just further proves to me that there should be a CR123A tube upgrade option for the H60. With the flush button, it would make more sense for keychain/pocket carry. It would be like getting an H30 and H60 in one. I wonder if the H60 head can even work on the H30 body, even if you bought both? Maybe Zebralight hopes people buy both models, but despite a few enthusiasts willing to do so, the masses have a hard time dropping $30+ on any flashlight so to have that upgrade option adds value by adding versatility.

The electronics (current draw) of the H60 might be prohibitive, though, using that type of battery. But my recollection is that Zebralight scales down the current draw due to the size of their lights. It'll be interesting to see current draw differences H60 vs H30 if someone tests it. I don't know about the H60, but I know that many other manufacturers (as seen on DealExtreme) commonly include both 123A and 18650 tubes.

I can see ribbing on the body of the H60 which must be some of the "unique" heat management strategies George was talking about. In which case, it appears they're right. We've all seen some ribbing before as heat vanes, especially with the newer crop of 18650 lights, but I've never seen them down the length of the light. I suppose it wouldn't hurt grip either, at the same time. With the vanes, the body of the H60 appears slightly thicker than the H30. I imagine that without the vanes, the body would only be 1mm larger than the H30, which is the difference in diameter of the batteries.

With the lessons Zebralight has learned with the H50 and H30 up to this point, obviously being cumulative and applied to the H60, it begs the possibility of an H30 redesign (with the vanes/other heat management, and possibly a new switch). My guess is that with the money spent on tooling, designs, and supplier sourcing, upgrading a design is probably harder than it sounds, so an "H30 2.0" is probably unlikely. However, that knowledge could be applied to a CR123 body option for the H60. An optional CR123A H60 body would have the vanes and therefore same diameter, so a second head mount would not be necessary. A 123A body would also have 1mm thicker metal inside, partially offsetting the shorter length.

I like the shiny metal around emitter of the H60 if it amounts to an actual functional difference.

From ZL's website: "We will upgrade the shipping to EMS with all orders valued 80 USD or more." The price set for the H60 will be $79. Hum. That sounds intentional, somehow.

I'm interested to see if the accessories package will be similar or equivalent. Zebralight simply includes the best standard accessories of any manufacturer, IMO.

Looking forward to more. Also kinda curious to see if this thing will be light enough to be realistic for head use, esp w/the vanes and all. The 18650 battery style definitely has the capacity and current, and right voltage. And Li-Ion chemistry is light to begin with. It is pushing the limits. But that is what Zebralight does best. If anyone can do it... Zebralight can.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice flush button. I hope it isn't just attached with sticky stuff.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Looking forward to more. Also kinda curious to see if this thing will be light enough to be realistic for head use, esp w/the vanes and all. The 18650 battery style definitely has the capacity and current, and right voltage. And Li-Ion chemistry is light to begin with. It is pushing the limits. But that is what Zebralight does best. If anyone can do it... Zebralight can.

In which areas do you feel that they're pushing the limits with this particular model. It has extra cooling fins and it wont be drawing excessive current or anything. It all sounds fairly stable and solid to me. I also think it would be great if they updated and improved the H30.

I think the H60 does look great but seems expensive compared to their other two models. That part is a little disappointing I think.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think ZL knows the H60 will be lower volume than the H30 or H50, so they need to make it worth their while.
...and a price... $79(!) - which is really steep, especially if all we're looking at is an somewhat larger version of the H30, with the same emitter and a "tweaked" driver. Do the increase in size and somewhat more complex heat dissipation measures really justify a 60%+ price premium?

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to output numbers, if they keep the low low and have a really high high it will be enough for me to look at snagging one. Love ZL!

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that is the MSRP. The H60 will followed by the H31 and H51, which have reflectors.

dblagent

Newly Enlightened
I think that is the MSRP. The H60 will followed by the H31 and H51, which have reflectors.

I was told there was a H501 coming out after the 60, and that it too will be a higher price, though not how much more. I have no other details, but was told it would be more H30 like in operation. I may be waiting on this I suppose.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Wow, finally seeing an 18650 headlamp is... a bit weird. I've read the threads and have been waiting but, if the clicky is the same as that on the H30, I might have to pass as I did not like the switch and it's functions at all. Somewhat bizarre since I tend to like clickies over twisties but I currently still prefer my H50 even though the H30 has more output.

As for price... at first glance, it's pricey but, if you consider PT Apex is approx. $70-80, puts out 60 lm [Edit: Current model is 80lm) for just under 2hrs regulated and up to 4hrs diminishing output (Flashlightreviews.com) and *IF* the H60 is comparable to other 18650 based lights and puts out 150-200 lm for 2-3hrs, then it's clear which I would prefer. Granted, it's comparing apples to oranges but there isn't another headlamp that I know of at this time that runs on 18650.

Having said that, I think still I'll wait for the output / runtime numbers and reviews on UI, etc...:popcorn:

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the looks of it. $79 isn't too bad of a price imho. Not if it performs well. If it's a nice, efficint low low, and decent level on high then :paypal:

(as soon as I wrangle up some funds that is. :ohgeez: ... :broke:)

AvPD

Enlightened
A$120 :faint:

I waited for the H60 and now I might as well just buy some more RCR123As for the RC-N3 (sans reflector) that I clip on the front of a hat.

cchurchi

Enlightened
I think it's great! This is exactly the light I have been waiting for Zebralight to make. I also feel the price is fair and I'll be ordering one as soon as I'm able to on their web site. If it works properly and dosen't have any QC issues, I'll order several more.

brjones

Newly Enlightened
In which areas do you feel that they're pushing the limits with this particular model. It has extra cooling fins and it wont be drawing excessive current or anything.

I said that ZL pushes the limits in general, meaning as a company. And, specifically, I thought it was obvious. The answer, for all their lights is their unique combination of: extremely small size, good output, and being side-firing. They're not pocket rockets, but emit the most light reasonably possible for their size, due to heat management issues (wherein more innovation now cometh). Just being a pocket rocket anymore is not so unique in itself, either--in fact, kind of becoming the norm. So I think they zag when everybody zigs.

Just on size alone, very few make smaller lights... the lights are barely bigger than the batteries themselves. That goes for all 3 models. Look at any light that's considered "small" for its battery size, and ZL will be smaller than most any. If that's not unique or pushing the limits--I mean with flashlights, not nuclear physics or anything--I don't know what is.

For that matter, even the 'pure flood' optics thing is rare--less rare in headlamps, but still (and ZL's are flexible beyond headlamping, esp with the included accessories). I owned 3 headlamps and none are perfect flood. See the post where one guy used his H30 as a clip-on light for his professional camcorder/VTR (are they still called VTR's?).