OMG Lumens "Art Lights"

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread will be devoted to a line of lights with the general title Art Lights. It will also act as a gallery of sorts for my work. These will be lights that are part of whatever is in my current product lineup. However they will be far from ordinary(as if what I do now is ordinary). Due to the amount of time they consume they will be very rare and pricey.

What are Art Lights?

They will live up to this designation in two ways.

One, they will be beautiful works of art. As such each design will forever remain unique. I will never duplicate exactly a design from one light to the next. I will use a variety of materials, some exotic, not usually seen in flashlight production.
Two, they will be state of the art. As much as my current products are pushing the boundaries of what is possible, these will push the envelope even farther. How so? Through the use of only the best materials to provide a solid foundation from which to build upon. I also have some unique processes that I have developed which will come to play in this regard.

Why?

If I had my druthers I would do nothing but Art Lights. I have always loved blending design with art. Although I did take professional art schooling I never felt that added anything to my ability. Art comes from within. You either have it or you don't. I only hope the projects that I do under this banner will be appreciated as what they are intended to be. Art.

Although I have a lot of ideas myself and have the first two or three figured out I would like to hear from you and get your thoughts and ideas for future Art Lights. Specifically I am speaking of materials. What cool materials have you seen in your lifetime. It does not have to be something you have thought would be good for a flashlight just something beautiful. I will do the rest.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ataahua Rama

The first Art Light up is the Ataahua Rama. In Maori it means beautiful torch.:D The light will be completed very soon but here are a few teaser photos.

This is the starting point. You may recognize these as parts of the DEFT and you'ld be correct. The DEFT will serve as the foundation for the first Art Light.
bezel008.jpg

Here you can see I have nickel plated the copper base so that it matches the solid silver pill that the LED sits on and provides a finish that will not tarnish like the copper would.
bezel017.jpg

bezel022.jpg

Last edited:

JohnTz

Enlightened
This should be good. I guess these will be like what the custom knife builders are doing with art knives.

Does this mean that the delivery timeframe for the regular DEFTs will get longer :(

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
do I really have to start following another thread of yours?

The drool will start pooling up..

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should be good. I guess these will be like what the custom knife builders are doing with art knives.

Does this mean that the delivery timeframe for the regular DEFTs will get longer :(
I'd be lying if I said it was not delaying me some. That said it will only be intermittently as I don't plan on doing these all the time.

do I really have to start following another thread of yours?

The drool will start pooling up..
:eek: :thanks:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to post a couple pictures to show everyone the jig I just made to be able to test LEDs to further refine the binning of Cree LEDs. The reason I am doing this and posting this within this thread is due to the fact that I want nothing but the best going into the Art Light. The best way to judge tint is by directly comparing LEDs next to one another. Cree also does not bin by Vf so I have to do that myself. Only the warmest tint(of WH bin) and lowest Vf will go into this light.

Here are the pictures of my simple setup.

It is made from two aluminum extrusions. The top one has holes for the LED light to shine through.
bezel052.jpg

The back of the top piece has foam tape that does a few things. It keeps the top solder pads on the LEDs from grounding out and presses the LEDs against the other piece of aluminum to help conduct the heat away from the LEDs. I can also slide the wire in between the LEDs and foam to wire up the LEDs so that I can power them.
bezel054.jpg

bezel056.jpg

Just wanted to show you the extent that I am going to to make this light as exceptional as possible.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Michael!

Thanks so much for showing us the progress pics. I know we all like to see progress, especially where there is money and lights involved!:D

Might you have any concept drawings or pictures (that you don't mind showing us) of what the Black Tie might look like?

This is my first actual custom light "list" for prepay/preorder that I have been on and I am excited already to own a light that you make for us. I really appreciate your approach to your "Art Light" creations. That is EXACTLY how I feel about the lights I truly cherish. To own lights that are created by people who approach their creations as you and other top-notch builders/modders do is a real treat; to own lights that are made the way I would make them for myself (if I knew how).:)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Michael!

Thanks so much for showing us the progress pics. I know we all like to see progress, especially where there is money and lights involved!:D

Might you have any concept drawings or pictures (that you don't mind showing us) of what the Black Tie might look like?

This is my first actual custom light "list" for prepay/preorder that I have been on and I am excited already to own a light that you make for us. I really appreciate your approach to your "Art Light" creations. That is EXACTLY how I feel about the lights I truly cherish. To own lights that are created by people who approach their creations as you and other top-notch builders/modders do is a real treat; to own lights that are made the way I would make them for myself (if I knew how).:)
I have a full size mock-up of the Black Tie but I am waiting until I get closer to production to show anyone. There will also be an Art Light version of the Black Tie as well. As a matter of fact I have already designed it. :grin2:

Yer Michael has the "Art" of extracting $$ out of my wallet :rolleyes: - now I have to sell my other kidney for my toy habit - no better still I will just take my sleeping bag to work and do some more OT
LOL

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Michael - is the "Art Light" going to be a DEFT or a Black Tie or something even more secret???

Oh and I was wondering how is my driver going please - and keep up the good work buddy - I think you need to clone your self - then you would be able to help yourself do the work :thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Michael - is the "Art Light" going to be a DEFT or a Black Tie or something even more secret???

Oh and I was wondering how is my driver going please - and keep up the good work buddy - I think you need to clone your self - then you would be able to help yourself do the work :thumbsup:
The Art Light will be based on the DEFT as mentioned in the second post.

Your driver is done as you saw in those beamshots from the DEFT thread. I am just waiting to get the last coat on the carbon fiber bezel. We have been busy dealing with the teething problems of my new polishing machine.:hairpull:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
must... have.... updates!!!
Sorry. I have been busy. I am waiting on the delivery of some special silver coated beryllium copper springs. I am trying to use as high quality parts as I can find for this light. Hopefully I will have some pictures to show here in a couple weeks.