Novatac 120P XP-G - now with outdoor beamshots!

boznet

Newly Enlightened
Just received some XP-G R5 and i wanted to try in my favorite EDC light.
it's my first mod it was not very easy to fit the XP-G inside but thanks to my dremel and a little work, it fit.
the tint is a little warmer, the spot is bigger, i'm not disappointed by the P4 swap. :)
some pics :
dscf9105c.jpg

dscf9116.jpg

dscf9118a.jpg

dscf9124f.jpg

dscf9125.jpg

dscf9129v.jpg

dscf9130l.jpg

Ajay

Enlightened
Re: Novatac 120P XP-G

:eek: That red thing is the stock heatsink???!!!

Nice work Boznet done like a pro....the thread and the swap:thumbsup:

IMSabbel

Enlightened

Does not seem to have any thermal grease around it, so i would rather qualify it as heat buffer than as sink... that would be the casing tube, with which the red block doesnt seem to have a lot of contact.

boznet

Newly Enlightened

nice work,did you enlarge the stock Novatac heatsink as well?
If you add some glow powder around the xpg it will show up even nicer :)

:thanks:, i did not enlarge the stock heatsink, i have only trimed the 10mm board to fit the 8mm hole on the heatsink, and the glow powder is a good idea, i just order some

:thanks:, not like a pro but for a first time, i think that not so bad;)

Yes stock heatsink...nice, right? :thumbsup:

Very nice mod, how about some outdoor beamshots?:twothumbs

:thanks: , but it's gonna be difficult to find a place without ligths to take some outdoor pics (i'm in paris), will try to find a place without light polution

Does not seem to have any thermal grease around it, so i would rather qualify it as heat buffer than as sink... that would be the casing tube, with which the red block doesnt seem to have a lot of contact.

yes, i did put some artic ceramique thermal compound in the hole of the heatsink before i put the led and i have also put some around the heatsink before i replaced the element inside the head
dscf9123.jpg

So you probably have a Novatac 200P now? :thumbsup:
:thanks:, i think more 150P :)

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm ingteresting how the SSC reflector seems to work fine with the XP-G. Nice job.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice Mod!
The beam looks great!:twothumbs

Hmmm ingteresting how the SSC reflector seems to work fine with the XP-G. Nice job.

You are correct in that the XP-G has worked perfectly with every SSC compatible reflector I have tried....and I've tried a lot!:grin2:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that's pretty interesting...

But what's even more interesting is that you've had 9 post since Feb. 07. If this is the kind of stuff you can do, you need to post more often! :)poke:) Nice job!!!

**EDIT** Hey, a question... The hotspot appears much larger than stock. Is it floodier now? I ask, because there have been many comments by people here that the Novatac is much too floody stock, and is much more usable with a K2 TFFC swap, as it focuses better, and throws further.

Last edited:

boznet

Newly Enlightened

Wow, that's pretty interesting...

But what's even more interesting is that you've had 9 post since Feb. 07. If this is the kind of stuff you can do, you need to post more often! :)poke:) Nice job!!!

**EDIT** Hey, a question... The hotspot appears much larger than stock. Is it floodier now? I ask, because there have been many comments by people here that the Novatac is much too floody stock, and is much more usable with a K2 TFFC swap, as it focuses better, and throws further.
Yes the hotspot is larger but it's not floodier to me than the stock lamp it's just a little bit brigther, i don't have a K2 to compare i just saw some pics and the K2 appears to have more throw than the XP-G

kz1000s1

Enlightened

Good work! Did you have to shim the board to get the focus right? Was the board easy to trim with the dremel?

I have some XPG's arriving in a few days and one is going in my HDS EDC. The hope is that it'll be driven a little harder than it would in a Novatac.

boznet

Newly Enlightened

sorry my english is not so good what is "shim"?
the focus was good with the stock reflector i did not mod anything.
trimming the board was long because of the dremel the board is gettin very hot immediatly and it was hard holding it, turning and trimming at the same time :)

Good work! Did you have to shim the board to get the focus right? Was the board easy to trim with the dremel?

I have some XPG's arriving in a few days and one is going in my HDS EDC. The hope is that it'll be driven a little harder than it would in a Novatac.

boznet

Newly Enlightened

here's some outdoor beamshots :

control pic
dscf9186.jpg

stock 120P
dscf9187f.jpg

XPG
dscf9188y.jpg

control pic
dscf9190.jpg

stock 120P
dscf9191f.jpg

XPG
dscf9192.jpg

control pic
dscf9196t.jpg

stock 120P
dscf9197.jpg

XPG
dscf9198x.jpg

control pic
dscf9199o.jpg

stock 120P
dscf9200i.jpg

XPG
dscf9201.jpg

control pic
dscf9202.jpg

stock 120P
dscf9204n.jpg

XPG
dscf9205.jpg

:thumbsup:

DM51

Flashaholic

Very good work, and nice beamshots!

That is a very noticeable difference from the stock 120 beam. If the stock is a genuine 120, that must be ~200 lm, by the look of it. Great mod!

kz1000s1

Enlightened

sorry my english is not so good what is "shim"?
the focus was good with the stock reflector i did not mod anything.
trimming the board was long because of the dremel the board is gettin very hot immediatly and it was hard holding it, turning and trimming at the same time :)

Actually your English is good. I have no problem understanding you.
A shim is a thin piece of material (metal like copper or aluminum in this case) placed under the LED to move it up farther into the reflector.

I was thinking that it would be difficult to trim a board that's so small.

Thanks!

Nice beamshots! I agree with a 200 lumen estimate. It could even be more. When you have such a big increase in spill beam brightness that
is a lot of extra lumens. Try doing a ceiling bounce test in a small room comparing it with the stock 120P.
I can't wait for my XPG's!

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Watching this thread very closely. I'm about to order a Ra light and want to keep up with the best mod for it...

kz1000s1

Enlightened

I completed my HDS XP-G. Now from comparisons with other lights I still stand by my 200 lumen estimate. My Quark has a slightly brighter hotspot, but doesn't put out as much light.

Results Here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/247460

I had also been thinking about getting an RA Clicky instead of the HDS for this mod. A tough choice. The mod shouldn't be too hard.
Here's a thread I found about Ra upgrading: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214748

ionizedsky

Enlightened
Could you please elaborate how the head came a part in detail. I am getting ready to do similar mod.

boznet

Newly Enlightened
Just take out the retaining ring and the pill will follow,
very easy if the retaining ring is not glued with red loctite.
i used i little piece that i've cut from a small saw.

dscf9399.jpg

dscf9402.jpg

dscf9401.jpg

dscf9400.jpg

good mod, cheers
boz

Could you please elaborate how the head came a part in detail. I am getting ready to do similar mod.

Last edited by a moderator: