400W HID Thor

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you share which ballast you are using.

Please do a 1000m or more beamshot. this is sooo bright..aah!!:confused:

ez78

Enlightened
Hello Flashanator, :grin2:

It's about 20 minutes with fully charged batteries. This I have managed many times. I want to be safe and not to kill any of the 90 cells. Theoretically the battery pack is good for about 45 minutes hot from the charger. I have once run this 30 minutes. But I can't actually trust the volt meter, it's more like last reminder. I use a timer. By the way the volt meter is connected to 12 x 7.2V RC packs, because it only has so many digits, 100V max...

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh also. At second glance It appears you're using Kyosho plugs on your battery packs. Have you thought of switching to Deans for a little less resistance? that's what I use on all my packs on my R/C cars.

Shane

Davekan

Newly Enlightened
Very good ez78, It looks to have very good beam for that size arc in
8" reflector. and lots of lumans.

Cool:thumbsup::cool:

Dave:thumbsup:

ez78

Enlightened
Hi there Hallis,

The primary circuit is permanently done with crimp connectors. Will easily handle the 4 amps, basicly it's just solid wire all the way. For safety there is a 20 amps fuse in the middle of the battery pack that I usually remove when I store the battery. Only the charging plugs use Tamiya connectors.

Last edited:

ez78

Enlightened
Davekan,

Yeah I was actually expecting more floody device too. But was quite happy when I first fired it up outdoors and the beam was tight and delivers light very far away.:party:

Hmmh, maybe I could also do a video of the startup. 0-1 minutes with something like the Illuminator already running in the backgroung...

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the successfull completion of this super-project ez !!

Looks very impressive!

Can you take some more beamshots with shorter exposure time, I think the difference with the LK14 will be more noticable..

Enjoy it..

Best,

Ra.

ez78

Enlightened
Hi Ra,

Yep, the pics are little bit over exposed. Next time I will use lower exposure. Altleast with this distance and snow on the ground. :cool:

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Really great job. I really love the voltmeter, switch, and the blue LED. I imagine people look at you walking with that!!! :party:

ez78

Enlightened
Lux, yeah I quess I will be getting my share of attention with this thing. :whistle:

There were some joggers and people walking their dogs when I took the pics. Some of them stayed and watched the whole light show, although from a safe distance. I think I heard some uuuh and wow...Or maybe it was just me. :D

Larryk, I'll go do some shots pretty soon I think. In couple of weeks. Right now the weather is often crappy.

By the way the humming noise from the cooling fans is a nice effect. There are 3 fans in the system. In addition to the 80mm fan I installed there are two small fans in the ballast. Although outdoors you hardly hear them, with wind and all.

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOOD GOD THATS BRIGHT, NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME

roguesw

Enlightened
You know the scene in Predator when Jesse Ventura straps on the minigun
this is the flashlight equivalent
you need a backpack for the batteries and a sling for the light.
Time to go to town
Awesome build

ez78

Enlightened
I allways enjoyed that scene in Predator. :)

I had the light measured for output wavelenghts. Everything under 300nm is pretty much filtered out but there is some kind of spike of energy at 360nm which is still UV A region. Not the most dangerous or energetic radiation but could cause some irritation in eyes maybe depending on the duration of use and stuff.

So this light might be good for frying vampires too, like in Blade.;)

I might post a picture of the spectrum scan later...

Still no new beam shots, been little busy.

Last edited: