400W HID Thor

Snesley Wipes

Newly Enlightened
I would love to see some more beam shots...preferably at a moving car. Or maybe a house.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you just need to create 2 more identical 400W Thor lights... and then you could invite 2 of your friends to go trick or treating with you at Halloween.(Dressed as the Ghostbusters -who else?)
IMDB reference here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/

That sobbing noise you hear is my 3D Mag85,crying in the corner next to your mega-Thor.(If flashlights were alive,that is...)

Last edited:

ez78

Enlightened
I was going to go take some beam shots last saturday but it was raining. I also found a place where I am able light edge of a forest quite brightly from 1.2 km away with the Thor. But I would have to carry my stuff there, have to leave the car quite far away, so maybe I won't use this place. We'll see.

My Larryk14 is also now temporarily upgraded to 1000W and I'd like to see how it compares now. I also drive it very hard. Haven't done any outdoors comparisons with the 1000W and metal halide yet. Thanks plasmaman for the 1000W lamp!

ez78

Enlightened
I wanted to see how the Amondotech Illuminator 35W hid compares to the 400W HID monster outdoors so I went to take some shots.

Also most people know what 35W hid lights look like so this is usefull comparison too. Gives some perspective. Sorry about the crooked camera I was little sloppy.

Camera settings are 2" F5.6. About 300 meters to the forest.

And there is nothing wrong with my 35W HID it is an extremely bright light too, just looks like a candle when the 400W monster is around. :D

Illuminator 35W HID
HID35W_2s_F56_B2.jpg

400W HID Thor
HID400W_2s_F55_B3.jpg

(The sky seems to be changing its color slightly in the pictures, I quess its because the color balance was on auto setting. Forgot to lock.)

Well, here's the location and distance using google earth.
map320m-1.jpg

Last edited:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi EZ,

Looking Good . . . :thumbsup:

Can you do some comparison shots with the LK14-PK1000W
- if you have the 1000W hooked up and if you get the time ? ? ?

Cheers
Pete

ez78

Enlightened
Hi petrev

Actually that was my first intention yesterday, but then I got lazy and only took the Illuminator. It was easier to carry since my Larryk14-PK1000W and the 400W HID are both backpack systems. But I'll definetly have to do comparison some day soon with the 1000W. I think it will be quite close battle between these hyperlights.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks EZ

Double runtime for the 400W-HID

Can't find anyone who makes a 30V-DC Ballast at a sensible price ! !! or even a 60V one ? ???? ??

Ah Well :shrug:

Cheers
Pete

ez78

Enlightened
Yeah, it might be that such low voltage ballasts with high power are very rare. I was originally prepared to use a 600W sine inverter to produce 240 AC for the ballast but then got lucky and had all the right incredients materialize before me, including the 110V DC ballast.

If you knew that your ballast could handle modified sine voltage then the inverter would only be like 2kg extra weight in the system. My 600W sine device is about 3kg, quite pleased I didn't have to carry it around. :)

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I love seeing this light again. To think that there are these lights which put the Larry14K to shame is just ridiculously wonderful. Now we need this vs. Petrev's 4557 1000W vs. JetskiMark's Blitz.

Oh and BVH can bring some of his Tinker Toys too! :p

ez78

Enlightened
Just an update that the monster HID is still working flawlessly. Not much hours on it yet. Maybe 2-3 hours (edited). There aren't many usefull applications for this light but it's good know it's there. :D I've got a new lady friend and it's stealing some time from this hobby but I intend to do the 1000W versus monster HID shootout sometime, when things settle down a bit.

Last edited:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never get tired of looking at this thread, Its so insane. Wouldnt this just destroy the hyperblitz on throw beyond imagination? sealed beam with so much more lumens, Id love to see it with a diffuser lens.:drool:

ez78

Enlightened
I never get tired of looking at this thread, Its so insane. Wouldnt this just destroy the hyperblitz on throw beyond imagination? sealed beam with so much more lumens, Id love to see it with a diffuser lens.:drool:

Well, I suspect the bliz has got higher quality reflector. With larger diameter. It's more tuned for throw maybe. The monster HIDs' reflector is not a perfect razor sharp looking mirror. There is just slight softness to the coating. I think this gives the beam some kind of smoothness. Or maybe its the relatively large arc size. But then there are the ridiculous amounts of lumens to throw around too. Would be interesting shootout.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've missed this thread until now because I spend my time in the HID section.

Anyhow....what an incredible homemade lumen monster!! It's so nicely executed too! This and Ra's short-arc have to be the most amazing thor mods ever.

Thanks for sharing this serious work of art with us. :)

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey ez, you going to show us "Lumen Hungry Flashaholics" some more beamshots???

400w HID vs. GE 1000w :drool::twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs