500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashflood

Enlightened
I have a strong preference that the light stops changing modes when you get to mode 4. It would be quite frustrating when you are trying to get max lumens in a hurry and you suddenly find yourself in Off or Low mode. Maybe (if you wanted to be extra cute) a double flash or something similar to indicate you are already on Max, but definitely stay on Max until you rotate the ring in the reverse direction.

There is a temptation to make the UI a bit too complex by designing purely for the experienced flashaholic, but for me, one of the many attrractions of this light is that the UI is simple and very easy to understand (Want more light ? keep twisting the control ring, Want less light ? Twist it the other way)

Completely agree. When I turn the steering wheel hard right, that never ever ever means go left.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Completely agree. When I turn the steering wheel hard right, that never ever ever means go left.

I'll toss in another vote for a very simple UI. Turning one direction increases output, turning the other direction decreases output. When you get to high, you can't go past it. Mode cycling is for clunky UI's you have to click through, not for an advanced control ring light. The simplicity of the UI was the most attractive thing about this light, more attractive than the high output.

madcat108

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys. i'm following this thread nearly since its beginning. Although not in very detail, so sorry if i write something that is not in line with the current design.

I agree with Bigmac79
Even better if there would be a mechanical stop at the end.

Also its best if you can reach all modes in a single twist.
i.e. if you try to turn something with your hand you will see that you can turn comfortably not more than 180 degrees without breaking your wrist.
it would be best if all modes would fit in 180 degrees turn with a mechanical stop at the end and mechanical clicks.
This will allow immediate and most comfortable access to any mode. i.e. with single twist i can reach mode 4 or any other mode.
On the video it seems that the prototype has to be turned by pretty large angle to switch modes... if i remember it correctly, such angle will not fit in a single twist...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I realize I was not the first...but as we can all tell, the Torpedo is getting close. We are imagining how it would look in our favourite material. Actually, with photoshop you don't need imagination anymore:

torpedocu.jpg

:)

I want a copper one with silver ring (better yet: titanium ring) in high CRI!!!!!!!!!! (and I'm still ordering a first-release black/red cool to get better jaw-drop action)

I have a strong preference that the light stops changing modes when you get to mode 4. It would be quite frustrating when you are trying to get max lumens in a hurry and you suddenly find yourself in Off or Low mode. Maybe (if you wanted to be extra cute) a double flash or something similar to indicate you are already on Max, but definitely stay on Max until you rotate the ring in the reverse direction.

There is a temptation to make the UI a bit too complex by designing purely for the experienced flashaholic, but for me, one of the many attrractions of this light is that the UI is simple and very easy to understand (Want more light ? keep twisting the control ring, Want less light ? Twist it the other way)
[...]

+1 more

:rofl: Except for bumper cars.

Hello guys. i'm following this thread nearly since its beginning. Although not in very detail, so sorry if i write something that is not in line with the current design.

I agree with Bigmac79
Even better if there would be a mechanical stop at the end.

Also its best if you can reach all modes in a single twist.
i.e. if you try to turn something with your hand you will see that you can turn comfortably not more than 180 degrees without breaking your wrist.
it would be best if all modes would fit in 180 degrees turn with a mechanical stop at the end and mechanical clicks.
This will allow immediate and most comfortable access to any mode. i.e. with single twist i can reach mode 4 or any other mode.
On the video it seems that the prototype has to be turned by pretty large angle to switch modes... if i remember it correctly, such angle will not fit in a single twist...

Mechanical stop and one-turn high mode from off can't be done, simply because the small size of the light means that each magnetic sensor have to be placed at 120 degrees apart, otherwise the sensors might fight with each other and the light won't know which mode you're looking for, causing a lot of flickering. With 4 modes, that means 1 turn and 1/3 to get to max, but that should not be so bad, I think you might even be able to get there in one shot just by rubbing a single finger on it. Then there's the Electronic Lock Out to prevent you light from turning on in your pockets which is attained with 2 full turns to the left.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a copper one with silver ring (better yet: titanium ring) in high CRI!!!!!!!!!! (and I'm still ordering a first-release black/red cool to get better jaw-drop action)

+1 more

:rofl: Except for bumper cars.

Mechanical stop and one-turn high mode from off can't be done, simply because the small size of the light means that each magnetic sensor have to be placed at 120 degrees apart, otherwise the sensors might fight with each other and the light won't know which mode you're looking for, causing a lot of flickering. With 4 modes, that means 1 turn and 1/3 to get to max, but that should not be so bad, I think you might even be able to get there in one shot just by rubbing a single finger on it. Then there's the Electronic Lock Out to prevent you light from turning on in your pockets which is attained with 2 full turns to the left.

+1 reason for no mechanical stop: Electronic Lock Out.
GL

dugie

Newly Enlightened
Hi: Count me in for at least two! Signed up on website today.
Prefer High-CRI or warm emitter.
Black anno Alu good for me. Would consider SS when/if available.
Appreciate your work and "open development".
Oh, yeah - also would like 1 or 2 AA version!
dugie:thumbsup:

tino79

Newly Enlightened

Okay, I agree, this would be the better solution. Than I have a long way to turn the light off, but the advantage is that I can change the modes in the directions I want to and don't have to cycle through all modes for mode change.

madcat108

Newly Enlightened

So next step is to make contacts on the body + a cradle, to flash the (open source) firmware to the internal controller. So each can configure his modes, turns etc... of course within the HW limitations.

flashflood

Enlightened
So next step is to make contacts on the body + a cradle, to flash the (open source) firmware to the internal controller.

Contacts? Cradle? Source code? Surely you jest.

There will be an iPhone app that uses the front-facing camera to discern your mode preferences via facial expression. This information will be used to auto-generate new firmware, which will be transmitted to the Torpedo via Bluetooth.

JulianP

Enlightened

There will be an iPhone app that uses the front-facing camera to discern your mode preferences via facial expression. This information will be used to auto-generate new firmware, which will be transmitted to the Torpedo via Bluetooth.

The year is 2028, Torpedo v5.1 has voice recognition and a self-charging quantum battery based on the Casimir effect. The ring regulation changes the mode from moonbeam to 10" metal cutter. Licenced only to law enforcement agencies and the military. TorpedoFire copy available on DX.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The year is 2028, Torpedo v5.1 has voice recognition and a self-charging quantum battery based on the Casimir effect. The ring regulation changes the mode from moonbeam to 10" metal cutter. Licenced only to law enforcement agencies and the military. TorpedoFire copy available on DX.

Oh god! I dreamt of self-charging batteries a few weeks ago. You took them out of your light and put them on the desk and they became hot on their own. Scary.

Now back on topic: high CRI copper edition with titanium ring :grin2:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pull up a chair Benzan, grab some popcorn and join the line! :) There's about a thousand of these little puppies that already have names and their owners are wishing for the same thing. Guy is frantically working on getting it done and we're all pretty sure he's gonna get it spot on here pretty darn quick.

flashflood

Enlightened

Nice. :rofl:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh god! I dreamt of self-charging batteries a few weeks ago. You took them out of your light and put them on the desk and they became hot on their own. Scary.

Now back on topic: high CRI copper edition with titanium ring :grin2:
My dream was quite silmlar to yours. Except you put your dead batteries into the Torpedo and they self charged within. But the light got extremely colder until they fully chraged:huh:

And now back to our regularly scheduled dicussion:
The next batch of prototypes will include NW, WW, and HCRI emitters.:hitit:lovecpf
GL

madcat108

Newly Enlightened

If i understood correctly there is a micro controller inside the Torpedo that controls its behavior. This controller runs a firmware. It is possible to update the firmware or configuration table inside the controller by just 2 wires (in some controllers). That's not a big deal. Even put there a controller that supports USB and even Li-Ion charger IC. Sky is the limit :)

I'm not joking. For sure not in the first version but it is possible.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stainless Steel would be my preferred choice just in case it may be an option. Definitely does not scratch up like TI or AL. Though a little heavier.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stainless Steel would be my preferred choice just in case it may be an option. Definitely does not scratch up like TI or AL. Though a little heavier.
I agree.
I look forward to SS, Copper, Brass and Titanium, and the unique finishes that can created with each.
As of now we can wait to see prototypes in copper and titanium soon after the current design is in production :D
The bare aluminum is scheduled to be an orderable option for the first batch :eek:oo:
I honestly feel it going to worth the wait to bring such an unprecidented development to market.

As we are waiting for Guy to cross the finish line with this project, I had an idea, (oh :ohgeez:no).
After all the contributions with it's design,
How about coming up with some catch phrases for the light?
Or would this be unwanted and considered too soon or against CPF policies? Any comments on this?

GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Team Torpedo,

Apologies for the quiet week in posting,
have been away on short trip (though short is relative)
heading home today and back to commenting in a day or two.

Titanium rods have arrived at the workshop,
so should be able to get a Ti proto soon,
with an updated driver.

Will post more early in the week.

Thanks so much for all the comments :thumbsup:
tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts