500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guy,
I hope your trip went well :D
Good to hear you got your Ti stock in.
Look forward to next week, I am sure there wil be plenty to post.
Take Care
GL

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
can we have the normal torpedo 1st? my paypal is going crazy waiting :eek:
JJ
Ruriimasu,
That seems to be what is planned.
The Black HAIII and Natural Aluminum will be the first pre-order options.
The exotic Cu and Ti appear to be planned for after the intial release :D
I am hoping to see if Brass and SS are also a future option,
as they are easier and less expensive to work with than Ti,and can
offer some really neat looking finishes like those being explored with the Core Ti.
GL

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got Lumens, do you think the Ti would work well with this kind of output in such a small light? There'd be so little material to act as a heat sink in the first place, and Ti does not disperse heat well which, as far as I can gather, would spell trouble for the emitter at this level of output. Am I missing something? Like I've said before, when using a Li-ion in my IlluminaTi on high beam it gets real hot real fast! And that's only about 140 lumens! I'd worry that at a possible 500 lumens, and even 230 or so on medium, the heat would be too much for it.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got Lumens, do you think the Ti would work well with this kind of output in such a small light? There'd be so little material to act as a heat sink in the first place, and Ti does not disperse heat well which, as far as I can gather, would spell trouble for the emitter at this level of output. Am I missing something? Like I've said before, when using a Li-ion in my IlluminaTi on high beam it gets real hot real fast! And that's only about 140 lumens! I'd worry that at a possible 500 lumens, and even 230 or so on medium, the heat would be too much for it.
DBC,
Not to fear, with a battery that will last only a matter of minutes on the maximum 500lm output, combined with the integrated thermal regulation, and coupled with the current/voltage regulation of the current driver that automatically steps the output down, it's Ti all the way :naughty:

The only challaging part of Ti is the parts and components of the Torpedo are so small that it may provide some difficulties in the manufacturing process. Guy is aware of this, and is cautiously moving forward and is willing to at least give a try. The prototypes willbe coming post Torpedo release. Based on those yet to made prototypes, that he now has Ti stock to do :sssh:, will determine if we will see the TiPedo make it into the production phase. With some skill, a little luck, and his well thought out plan, I too am hoping to see the Torpedo made and offerd in Ti.
GL

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope so, would love to have one in Ti. All the hoopla about Ti being difficult to machine...bs. It's about the same as a good grade of stainless, you can't rush it and must keep it cooled...which any decent shop is fully capable of. I took a piece of 1" bar in 6Al4V and drilled it part way 3/4" diameter on a very cheap table top drill press. Cut off the end to form a crude ring, then mounted it on a rubber sanding arbor, stuck that in my drill, and hand held a broken hss planer blade to shape the ti into a dome shaped wedding band...complete with radius edge inside for comfort. It took some time, but I did work Ti at home with el cheapo tools. Wife left me a couple of months later and I crushed the ring in a vise. Live and learn.

Danielsan

Enlightened
hmm, copper is kind of unique and it is one of the oldest materials used from mankind, kind of cool to have a modern flashlight made of copper. Everybody has aluminium :) Copper will age but again, it will look cool when you have such a modern product with an aged look. Maybe with a clearcoat it wont age but then it would be a shelf queen. But a shiny copper head with black body would look awesome. Or Ti body with copper head.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, copper is kind of unique and it is one of the oldest materials used from mankind, kind of cool to have a modern flashlight made of copper. [...]

I like your thinking. Can we have Ceasar's head stamped on it???

Draven451

Enlightened
tgwnn must be really busy as he has not posted in the thread in a couple days. Could be a good sign maybe he is getting our aluminum, copper and Ti version torpedo's prepared :popcorn:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
He did say he was getting on a plane. I hope it's for vacation, then he'll have a much clearer mind for the final touches.

yifu

Enlightened
hmm, copper is kind of unique and it is one of the oldest materials used from mankind, kind of cool to have a modern flashlight made of copper. Everybody has aluminium :) Copper will age but again, it will look cool when you have such a modern product with an aged look. Maybe with a clearcoat it wont age but then it would be a shelf queen. But a shiny copper head with black body would look awesome. Or Ti body with copper head.
Arghh....Do you want him to delay this project by another 2 years by catering to your aesthetic needs? :) Let's just cross our fingers and hope the aluminum version gets released by the end of this year...

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ruriimasu,
That seems to be what is planned.
The Black HAIII and Natural Aluminum will be the first pre-order options.
The exotic Cu and Ti appear to be planned for after the intial release :D
I am hoping to see if Brass and SS are also a future option,
as they are easier and less expensive to work with than Ti,and can
offer some really neat looking finishes like those being explored with the Core Ti.
GL
Arghh....Do you want him to delay this project by another 2 years by catering to your aesthetic needs? :) Let's just cross our fingers and hope the aluminum version gets released by the end of this year...
Yifu,
I hope not two years. He already has the experimental stock to work with on future releases, but have confirmed the information I have posted is correct. Personally I would love to have one of each, then I can hope that the tollerances will be simular, then I can mix and match all three, :naughty:, we will see.
GL

RCantor

Enlightened
If I had a copper one I'd want it to age blue-green. Is that possible without it turning to powder?

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
If I had a copper one I'd want it to age blue-green. Is that possible without it turning to powder?

Supposedly, according to e-how

To create a green patina: 2 parts white vinegar, 1 1/2 parts non-detergent ammonia, 1/2 part non-iodized salt. Clean your copper first. Mix the ingredients together in a spray bottle and set aside. Spray on a light coating of Windex. Do not wipe off. Spray your vinegar/ammonia/salt mixture onto the copper and allow it to dry 1 hour. Reapply to any areas that you may have missed. Allow to sit overnight. For brighter green more salt.

However, Ti and Cu (without the patina of oxidation) destroy MRSA on contact. Which is kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.