500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
ruriimasu, congrats on your impending Stork visit! Sorry to hear about the family "crisis", stuff like that's always a bummer, especially when you're expecting. Don't worry, we'll test the X good and proper and you'll get in on the new and improved or tried and true final version ;)

Take care, again Congrats!

Dale

sticktodrum

Enlightened
I just put my name/email in the mailing list. I know almost nothing really about this light, except that I want one.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Lol! Flashaholic eh?
Guess we all drink at the same bar!

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

Oh absolutely. I'm kind of down that I missed out on that HexLamp stand, so the only thing that is lifting me up is buying another light and hoping to have one of these. :D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update
....X Proto expected in a few days, fingers crossed!

guy.. sorry i may have to pull out of the X run. something cropped up in the family as well as a little one coming our way. so i have to re-arrange my needs and wants for the next couple of months. :(

Hi ruriimasu,

Thanks for posting. Congrats on the impending arrival and no problem at all.
The list is still very fluid until the time comes..

I just put my name/email in the mailing list. I know almost nothing really about this light, except that I want one.

Thanks sticktodrum :)

I really hope these will come in stainless. I just found I lost my beloved preon revo that was my keychain Edc.

:(

I'd like to replace it with a stainless torpedo. I guess I'll need two!
Hi gunga,

Sorry about your preon.
When the time comes, stainless can be added to the list ;)

Lol! Flashaholic eh?
Guess we all drink at the same bar!

+1
:twothumbs

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to the X! Is the rotary control stiff enough to prevent accidental activation in the pocket?
Hi gunga,

Yes, it should be, unless you have tight pockets with gears (or fairies for that matter) :D

A titanium version needs to be added to the list too :)
Hi KuanR,

Sure, eventually :)
I have a long list somewhere of all the materials....
but first things first ;)

Tgwnn

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - I've been quietly following this thread since the beginning and amazed at the prototyping process and it's pitfalls.

If you have room can I please be put on the X list? Thanks.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kuan, as much as I too like Titanium, it's not a good choice for lights. It's thermal property is so dismally low that it actually works to HOLD HEAT IN instead of wicking it away. Not what you want to do to your emitter. Aluminum or copper is absolutely the best way to go, and since aluminum can be anodized and is so much lighter...well those 2 things contrive to make it the better choice for a very small high powered light.

Now if you want to design in some copper for heat sinking, then the game is on for Ti! :) I wouldn't know anything about that though...<ahem, TP> cough cough. :)

Dale

fnj

Enlightened
I humbly suggest we go easy on the hyperbole. Yes, titanium has extremely poor thermal conductivity compared to aluminum or copper. No, it doesn't mysteriously "hold heat in" through some unique mechanism; it merely conducts it away less effectively than aluminum or copper. But many very successful flashlights have used titanium, and also stainless steel, which has even worse thermal conductivity but is fairly common.

Silver, 248 BTU/hr/ft/F (higher is better)
Copper, 231
Aluminum, 136
Brass, "yellow", 69
Titanium 99% pure, 13
304 stainless steel, 8

For a light like the "500", plain titanium or stainless would seriously impact performance and life, but your suggestion of working in a copper heat sink is an excellent one. It would probably have to be full-flashlight-length on the inside to do much good.

NowIC

Enlightened
I'm not sure if we're supposed to sign-up here or just to the e-mail list so I figured I'd do both. Gotta' have one of these!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - I've been quietly following this thread since the beginning and amazed at the prototyping process and it's pitfalls.

If you have room can I please be put on the X list? Thanks.

Hi ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond,

Thanks very much and added.

Kuan, as much as I too like Titanium, it's not a good choice for lights. It's thermal property is so dismally low that it actually works to HOLD HEAT IN instead of wicking it away. Not what you want to do to your emitter. Aluminum or copper is absolutely the best way to go, and since aluminum can be anodized and is so much lighter...well those 2 things contrive to make it the better choice for a very small high powered light.

Now if you want to design in some copper for heat sinking, then the game is on for Ti! :) I wouldn't know anything about that though...<ahem, TP> cough cough. :)

Dale
Thanks for the feedback Dale,
X will be Aluminum and we can take it from there :)

I humbly suggest we go easy on the hyperbole. Yes, titanium has extremely poor thermal conductivity compared to aluminum or copper. No, it doesn't mysteriously "hold heat in" through some unique mechanism; it merely conducts it away less effectively than aluminum or copper. But many very successful flashlights have used titanium, and also stainless steel, which has even worse thermal conductivity but is fairly common.

Silver, 248 BTU/hr/ft/F (higher is better)
Copper, 231
Aluminum, 136
Brass, "yellow", 69
Titanium 99% pure, 13
304 stainless steel, 8

For a light like the "500", plain titanium or stainless would seriously impact performance and life, but your suggestion of working in a copper heat sink is an excellent one. It would probably have to be full-flashlight-length on the inside to do much good.
Hi fnj,

Thanks for the feedback.
Perhaps after the Aluminum version, an all copper version may have to come next....

I'm not sure if we're supposed to sign-up here or just to the e-mail list so I figured I'd do both. Gotta' have one of these!
Hi NowIC,

Thanks and added.

For anyone wanting to be on the X list, please simply click the link in my signature Subscriber Updates and join the subscriber list as I'll send out further details when the time comes. Of course, posting here is welcome too but it's a little harder to keep track of.

Thanks in advance.

Tgwnn

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this ends up actually producing close to 500 lumens and it also will fit on your keys, I expect it could demand a $100.00 + price tag and get it with no problems.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this ends up actually producing close to 500 lumens and it also will fit on your keys, I expect it could demand a $100.00 + price tag and get it with no problems.

Not quite that high I imagine. Plus, I already have 6 of his lights that fit on my keychain and produce 500 lumens...just not variable lumens. And not in a freaking torpedo package!

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub pedo's, packin Nuke protons. ;)

Six? Lot of keychain huh? lol I thought my 3 were over the top, but then, I do carry 2 of em daily. Lookin forward to that sexy X run though, for sure! :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the posts....

X Proto landed and looking good.
Easily the best proto to date!!

Here's a quick photo

A9604ED1-9E6F-42AC-87E2-B6768C385819-5043-00000C54D9B1FFA3_zpsb646fb2b.jpg

Must run but we are now ready for X.

Thank you for all the support :bow:

Tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.