500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Great Work! 60 days can be not long or forever. Just brought the wife home from surgery today, she's off for 6 weeks, that's real close to 60 days! :)

She's hurtin, like my pocketbook, but she's got drugs, my pocketbook...notsomuch.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback!

BVH,

The tail fins are a tad sharp. Not cutting sharp but somewhat pointed, so they will likely be stronger than your pocket if you have the Torpedo tail down. Head down should not be an issue.

Wow! Great Work! 60 days can be not long or forever. Just brought the wife home from surgery today, she's off for 6 weeks, that's real close to 60 days! :)

She's hurtin, like my pocketbook, but she's got drugs, my pocketbook...notsomuch.

Hi Dale,

Wish your wife a speedy recovery!

Who said I was on the ground? If I'm below 4000' and within a city area I get service...
Alex,

Keep flyin' high! Its always been a good omen for both of us :)

Tgwnn

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not seeing any question within recent emails, but will you be updating the led to the XM-L2 which was not available when you first started. Also, will you be offering a neutral tint? Something in the 4500K range would be great.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not seeing any question within recent emails, but will you be updating the led to the XM-L2 which was not available when you first started. Also, will you be offering a neutral tint? Something in the 4500K range would be great.

Hi ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond,

Good question.

Most definitely planning on XM-L2 for the X run.
The batch I received recently of High CRI neutral T6's are fabulous, the temp is 5000K though I did find one warm one, must be closer to 4500K.

I am hoping to keep things somewhat generic for the X run mainly to test out function and form and I'll make additional head options available later when we move from X to OK :D

Its all happing now though!
I've been verifying case, clips, etc with the workshop. Go go go :thumbsup:

Tgwnn

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who said I was on the ground? If I'm below 4000' and within a city area I get service...

I see. Which chapter of the FAA manual describes this procedure? I just want to make sure I'm doing it right on the Unicorn.

Last edited:

Esko

Enlightened
XM-L2 for the X run.
The batch I received recently of High CRI neutral T6's are fabulous, the temp is 5000K though I did find one warm one, must be closer to 4500K.

High CRI neutral XM-L2? Are you sure? I don't think such a led exists, at least not with a T6 efficiency bin. The best one in the binning data sheet is 4000K, 80+ CRI and T4.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond,

Good question.

Most definitely planning on XM-L2 for the X run.

I am hoping to keep things somewhat generic for the X run mainly to test out function and form and I'll make additional head options available later when we move from X to OK :D

Its all happing now though!
I've been verifying case, clips, etc with the workshop. Go go go :thumbsup:

Tgwnn

Excellent. As with what Esko said are you sure HiCRI with a T6 bin? But - I don't care that much if it's high CRI or not. I've been very happy with neutral tints that are in the 75 CRI range. I've used the T6-5000K XM-L2 in a few mods of my own and it does look really nice - so :thumbsup: on that one. Thank you.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
High CRI neutral XM-L2? Are you sure? I don't think such a led exists, at least not with a T6 efficiency bin. The best one in the binning data sheet is 4000K, 80+ CRI and T4.

Hi Esko,

Thanks for the feedback.
Perhaps its my definition that should be more concise or corrected.
By High CRI, I mean >75 as the guaranteed minimum CRI.

I currently have a batch of XM-L2 T6, 5000K minimum 75CRI.
The white is very white but still very very bright.
I'm not sure the tradeoff to an >80 CRI is worthwhile at this stage because typically, the higher the CRI, the lower the efficiency and lumen output. This is after all the Torpedo so BIG output is important ;)

Excellent. As with what Esko said are you sure HiCRI with a T6 bin? But - I don't care that much if it's high CRI or not. I've been very happy with neutral tints that are in the 75 CRI range. I've used the T6-5000K XM-L2 in a few mods of my own and it does look really nice - so :thumbsup: on that one. Thank you.

Thanks ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond,
I have to agree with you on that.
The T6-5000K XM-L2 is one of the nicest led's I've seen in a long time in terms of tint/output balance.

I see. Which chapter of the FAA manual describes this procedure? I just want to make sure I'm doing it right on the Unicorn.

Cataract,

I think its in the unpublished edition. As long as the unicorn is up to the task, you should have no problems :crackup:

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree on that XM-L T6 @ 5000K, have one pulling 2.88A and it's quite nice. I vote for using it in the Torpedo X. :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]I'm not sure the tradeoff to an >80 CRI is worthwhile at this stage because typically, the higher the CRI, the lower the efficiency and lumen output. This is after all the Torpedo so BIG output is important ;)
[...]

I'd be real happy with 75+ CRI

Cataract,
I think its in the unpublished edition. As long as the unicorn is up to the task, you should have no problems :crackup:

Tgwnn

That's the thing: he has these intense conversations with his mom and jerks left and right all the while. I think she gets on his nerves for not being married or something. Meanwhile I keep spilling my coffee.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude! You're not supposed to drink coffee while flying on a Unicorn! Don't, whatever you do DON'T spill it on the last 3 inches of that horn! I'm tellin ya man, you don't want to be there if that happens...

And you need to put his mother to work so she'll quit nagging, leave her with the MIB so they won't have time to lollygag around.

NowIC

Enlightened
Thanks for the posts....

X Proto landed and looking good.
Easily the best proto to date!!

Here's a quick photo

A9604ED1-9E6F-42AC-87E2-B6768C385819-5043-00000C54D9B1FFA3_zpsb646fb2b.jpg

Must run but we are now ready for X.

Thank you for all the support :bow:

Tgwnn

This is great news Guy. I'm really excited to be in on the X.

Esko

Enlightened
Hi Esko,

Thanks for the feedback.
Perhaps its my definition that should be more concise or corrected.
By High CRI, I mean >75 as the guaranteed minimum CRI.

I currently have a batch of XM-L2 T6, 5000K minimum 75CRI.
The white is very white but still very very bright.
I'm not sure the tradeoff to an >80 CRI is worthwhile at this stage because typically, the higher the CRI, the lower the efficiency and lumen output. This is after all the Torpedo so BIG output is important ;)

Most of us don't consider 75 as high cri. For many (most?), it needs to be 90-something, or at least 85.

I don't think it is worthwhile to consider 4000K T4 80 cri either. We wouldn't see the difference anyway (as well as we don't see the difference of 75 guaranteed minimum cri XM-L2 vs. the standard 75 typical cri XM-L2). That said, I don't have any XM-L2 flashlight but they are said to be a lot "whiter" than the older XM-L flashlights. I think it is an excellent choice. And if your leds are from a premium batch, it makes things even better. :thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm still ready to pick one of these up to test out when they're ready, don't forget to let me know. :grin2:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Man those ZoomHeads are incredible. I'm hooked on this little light, little battery, and little zoom! Great job making these, and all the attention to little details....including the holder/case. This was one of my most satisfying purchases since joining this forum.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree on that XM-L T6 @ 5000K, have one pulling 2.88A and it's quite nice. I vote for using it in the Torpedo X. :)
Thanks Dale :thumbsup:

I'd be real happy with 75+ CRI
That's the thing: he has these intense conversations with his mom and jerks left and right all the while. I think she gets on his nerves for not being married or something. Meanwhile I keep spilling my coffee.
Thanks Cataract,

Hoping the Torpedo will be coffee proof.
ideally, you'll be able to use it to re-heat your coffee when it get's cold :crackup:

This is great news Guy. I'm really excited to be in on the X.
Thanks NowIC and glad to have you aboard. ;)

Most of us don't consider 75 as high cri. For many (most?), it needs to be 90-something, or at least 85.

I don't think it is worthwhile to consider 4000K T4 80 cri either. We wouldn't see the difference anyway (as well as we don't see the difference of 75 guaranteed minimum cri XM-L2 vs. the standard 75 typical cri XM-L2). That said, I don't have any XM-L2 flashlight but they are said to be a lot "whiter" than the older XM-L flashlights. I think it is an excellent choice. And if your leds are from a premium batch, it makes things even better. :thumbsup:
Hi Esko,

Thanks for the feedback as always :D
I'll just call it 75CRI going forward to avoid potential confusion but nonetheless, it is a beautiful tint/bin.
Just hope I get the same batch when I order more for the Torpedo.

I'm still ready to pick one of these up to test out when they're ready, don't forget to let me know. :grin2:
Thanks nbp :twothumbs:
With pleasure.

I will be posting here and sending out a subscriber update.

Man those ZoomHeads are incredible. I'm hooked on this little light, little battery, and little zoom! Great job making these, and all the attention to little details....including the holder/case. This was one of my most satisfying purchases since joining this forum.

Hi LuxLuthor,

Wow!

50fa645b-881b-4846-8120-465ba3e1ba26_zpscd942e3b.jpg

That is a very very kind thing to say, especially knowing some of the fantastic purchases you have made over the years!
I'm so glad you are pleased with the ZoomHead and everything else too!

Just want to clarify for anyone else reading that LuxLuthor is referring to the MBI HF™ not the Torpedo™ (though it's coming soon).

I had a massively hectic weekend (had to do dayjob work, except that it lasted all night until the following day) but I have mostly finished preparing the Subscriber update, just need to add one photo, proof read and its good to go sometime over the next 24-48hrs.

I'll post here to let you know when its been sent.

I have been busy finalizing small details regarding the Torpedo.
Need to have a mold made for inner part of the case ($$$ :mecry: )
but I am so happy to finally be doing this, and grateful for all the support and of course such patience.

:bow:

Tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dissapointed, Guy. Just landed in Hawaii. No news yet though. Sheesh.

Just kidding, for real. I could never be dissapointed in you. Keep on truckin'. Maybe when I land in Guam tomorrow I will have a great email in my inbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.