60 Minutes II - Abused Iraqi Prisoners

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 60 Minutes II - abused prisoners

I understood exactly what you meant, Silviron. Don't sweat trying to explain yourself. I remember reading about Kerry's comments in The Navy Times or sumthin while I was in-country.

He's pulling the same thing now. Same ol' same ol'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

We've got to face it that there are many more "Hanoi Janes" now than there were 34 years ago.

That's OK, we just shrug off the flailing of their tiny fists and ignore their shrill howls. Our troops will drive on and deal with it, just like their fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers have.

What these prison guards did will get punished according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Hopefully we'll keep taking the fight to the enemy. I don't think half of the American population is up to dealing with fighting on our own soil.

Remember the poem by Rudyard Kipling, "Tommy". I just read it again last night. Talk about classical. It remains true regardless of time or circumstance.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

Greymage

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
Graymage,
I can't help but wonder how old you are. No requirement for you to tell me, I just wonder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was around in the 60s, but not old enough to participate in the civil rights or anti-war protests. And yes, I would have, in case you hadn't guessed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greymage

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
My point was, that kerry in 1971 told a Congressional Committee that torture, rape and murder of Vietnamese civilians by US troops was universal and encouraged by the entire command.

And about 1/3 of the nation believed him.

That is when people started spiting on soldiers and caling them baby killers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, a National Review reader, I see.

I'm impressed that you think Kerry has such great leadership skills. But I really don't think he was single-handedly responsible for anti-war feelings; I mean, the My-Lai courtmartials had started the year before, they probably had some influence on public opinion. Not to mention that there had already been an international war crimes tribunal.

Of course, that's not the end of the story - we keep finding new things about units like Tiger Force.

Do I think all Vietnam vets committed war crimes? No, I believe they were relatively rare, and that statistically no more war crimes were committed by US troops in Vietnam than in any other war.

I actually don't remember Kerry from this era. The two pictures I remember are the naked burning girl running from her village, and the South Vietnamese general shooting a prisoner in the head.

But instead of war crimes, let's focus on Kerry's statement:

[ QUOTE ]
FEELINGS OF MEN COMING BACK FROM VIETNAM

...In our opinion, and from our experience, there is nothing in South Vietnam, nothing which could happen that realistically threatens the United States of America. And to attempt to justify the loss of one American life in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos by linking such loss to the preservation of freedom, which those misfits supposedly abuse, is to us the height of criminal hypocrisy, and it is that kind of hypocrisy which we feel has torn this country apart....

WHAT WAS FOUND AND LEARNED IN VIETNAM

We found that not only was it a civil war, an effort by a people who had for years been seeking their liberation from any colonial influence whatsoever, but also we found that the Vietnamese whom we had enthusiastically molded after our own image were hard put to take up the fight against the threat we were supposedly saving them from.

We found most people didn't even know the difference between communism and democracy. They only wanted to work in rice paddies without helicopters strafing them and bombs with napalm burning their villages and tearing their country apart. They wanted everything to do with the war, particularly with this foreign presence of the United States of America, to leave them alone on peace, and they practiced the art of survival by siding with whichever military force was present at a particular time, be it Vietcong, North Vietnamese, or American.

We found also that all too often American men were dying in those rice paddies for want of support from their allies. We saw first hand how money from American taxes was used for a corrupt dictatorial regime. We saw that many people in this country had a one-sided idea of who was kept free by our flag, as blacks provided the highest percentage of casualties. We saw Vietnam ravaged equally by American bombs as well as by search and destroy missions, as well as by Vietcong terrorism, and yet we listened while this country tried to blame all of the havoc on the Viet Cong.

We rationalized destroying villages in order to save them. We saw America lose her sense of morality as she accepted very coolly a My Lai and refused to give up the image of American soldiers who hand out chocolate bars and chewing gum.

We learned the meaning of free fire zones, shooting anything that moves, and we watched while America placed a cheapness on the lives of orientals.

We watched the U.S. falsification of body counts, in fact the glorification of body counts. We listened while month after month we were told the back of the enemy was about to break. We fought using weapons against "oriental human beings," with quotation marks around that. We fought using weapons against those people which I do not believe this country would dream of using were we fighting in the European theater or let us say a non-third-world people theater, and so we watched while men charged up hills because a general said that hill has to be taken, and after losing one platoon or two platoons they marched away to leave the high for the reoccupation by the North Vietnamese because we watched pride allow the most unimportant of battles to be blown into extravaganzas, because we couldn't lose, and we couldn't retreat, and because it didn't matter how many American bodies were lost to prove that point. And so there were Hamburger Hills and Khe Sanhs and Hill 881's and Fire Base 6's and so many others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find his comments perceptive. Thirty years later, what threat does Vietnam pose to us? Suppose we had not pulled out, and instead won the war? Vietnam would be a better place, true... but would that have been worth spending more American lives on?

I actually do believe that it's worthwhile in some cases to send troops in when the US is not directly threatened - for example, I would not have objected to sending troops to stop the Tutsi massacre in Rwanda. But I place a high value on the lives of those who serve, and so I prefer military force be used only against clear and present threats, not vague domino and WMD theories.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

ikendu said:...choose leaders that have direct experience with war...or at least are smart enough to read, think and listen to others with war experience

DieselDave said: ...spread the word when Hillary runs for office. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know this might be hard for you to accept...but I too hope that Hillary never runs. My opinion of Hillary is not high. There's a lot more I could say to that...but that is some other thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DieselDave said: ...Dan Rather threw gas on the fire with sensationalized comments but I'm not surprised at him. They did just what I get so angry with the left for doing, saying or doing things that embolden the enemy.

I'll just say this...about that.

Our news media, driven by ratings, is all about "sensationalized comments"; both the left AND the right. Remember that Clinton official (Vince Foster?) that was found shot dead across from the White House in a park? Rush Limbaugh repeated over and over for weeks something like "Mark my words...when this is over, [the Clinton's] will be found with a dead body". Well, that went on and on...now we have a Republican Attorney General. So...where is the smoking gun that Rush pounded on that would be found?

Please don't imagine that either side is "pure" while the other side "always does this" or "always does that".

As to the "embolden the enemy" comment:

The notion that "if our media were loyal they wouldn't report on things the enemy can use" (my paraphrasing). I really don't agree in some simple fashion with that.

Here is one example of a thing that "emboldened the enemy"...Jane Fonda posing with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. THAT was pretty awful. I was against the Vietnam war...but THAT made me ashamed that she was too. However, it was that action that made me ashamed...not the reporting of it.

Regarding this incident. It is the incident itself that will "embolden the enemy" not the reporting. Do we think that if CBS refused to do their piece that this story wouldn't have gotten out? It isn't the reporting that should disgust us...it is the actions themselves.

I didn't see the actual Rather report...so I don't know how "sensationalized" the reporting was. I have seen the pictures posted from a link in this forum...pretty disgusting. My local paper reported that apparently this isn't the only prison where abuses have taken place. I also saw Tony Blair on TV reacting to reports that British controlled prisons have had abuses.

This just goes back to my original post...when you go to war, things happen. Things you don't want to happen. It is all too easy to forget those things CAN happen when some politician is waving the flag vigorously and trying to get the population to go off to war.

My last comment is this.

It is SO easy to think that "they" (whoever we don't like) are inhuman b@stards. If we had pictures like this that came out of someone else's regime (pick your favorite to dislike)...we'd all be up in arms that it proved their regime was evil. But...if pictures come out showing our side doing terrible acts... we are angered about the reporting.

Just remember this the next time someone waves the flag and shows off some pictures about this or that and says that it shows how "horrible" that other party is. We are totally ready to believe the "other side" is horrible but totally reluctant to believe that similar photos mean the same thing about us. We are all just human beings after all; each with great capacity for good ...and great capacity for evil.

Sorry, I'm afraid that life is never so simple that "they" are always bad and "we" are always good. This incident only underscores how true that is.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

BC0311 said: ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif...I don't think half of the American population is up to dealing with fighting on our own soil.

Well, I was never in Vietnam. But, I remember while my brother was there, on the ground...in the jungle, there was a popular phrase; "I'd rather fight THEM in Vietnam than on the beaches of San Diego". Remember that choice piece of wisdom?

We left Vietnam...and it fell to the communist backed North Vietnamese. Vietnam was finally back in Vietnamese hands. But I don't remember the epic battles that followed on the beaches of San Diego.

All of those Americans and all of those Vietnamese died. We were there for YEARS. An occupying force in someone else's homeland. It didn't end until we left. We spent blood and treasure. Many Americans are maimed or crippled today (and not just physically), decades later, so that "we wouldn't have to fight them on the beaches of San Diego".

Al Queda attacked us on our own soil. We went after them in Afganistan. But, before the job was finished...we went after Saddam in Iraq. Apparently you buy the Bush administration's double speak that although "there is no evidence of Iraq involvement 9-11" that somehow we had to "take out Iraq" to prevent more 9-11s.

Meanwhile, the country that sent 15 of the 19 9-11 highjackers and bank rolled much of the expenses... just sails on continuing to sell us "SUV go-juice". Our fuel dollars just keep on filling the coffers of people that took some of that money and used it to kill our citizens. BTW...there was a report on Saudi involvement in 9-11 that came out as part of the commission report. Funny thing though, all of the part about the Saudis was blacked out by the Bush Administration in the public report. Huh. Wonder why?

Every year, we spend about $100 billion on imported oil. About half of that goes to the middle east. Think about it. It is a lot of money. A lot of money. Maybe you are concerned about the spread of nuclear weapons. I am. Think developing nuclear weapons is cheap? It's not. Hmmmm. It's not cheap. Where will people get the "money" to develop them? Hmmmm. >more thinking< Pakistan, a muslim nation, already HAS nuclear weapons. And...it recently came out that they've been sharing the technology with others. I wonder where the money came from for them to develop such expensive technology? Pakistan has no big oil income...but the money had to come from somewhere... Hmmm. >Oh, well. It just hurts too much to do so much thinking...I'll just let our President and his party do that...< Off to the mall! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you want to spend just a few more minutes on this...you might look here:

Viet Nam veteran fighter pilot's opinion about imported oil

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Ikendu,
Like I emphasized in my previous post...I place the blame on the actual members in the military that committed the act not the media. That is why I said I would like to see a public trial and severe punishment. But, if you don't think news reporting plays a role in emboldening the enemy then we most definitely disagree on that premise. Do you think Al-Jazera's reporting doesn't have an impact? Do you think that only showing the negative things in Iraq doesn't make a difference? I understand why they don't show the positive, it doesn't sell as well and it doesn't fit their agenda. Why doesn't the media cover the far, far left anti-war protesters? I have my opinion and it's the same reason they pay little attention to the far, far left "environmentalist". I put environmentalist in "" because there are so many people that do good for the environment that those whacko's really don't deserve the title. The point is if they covered those groups in depth it would hurt the whole environmental movement. I may just be nuts but I think the media plays a huge role in influencing the direction of policy and how we are viewed around the world. If the media just reported facts from both sides of an issue and didn't apply their spin I would agree with your opinion but we both know that doesn't happen. A recent example is when the media went after Trent Lott last year for his praise of Strom Thurmand and he was forced to resign from his leadership position. This year when Sen. Dodd praised Sen. Byrd under almost identical circumstances it didn't receive 1/10 the attention from the media so he got a free pass. Neither one of the guys statements should have cost them their position but the media decided to take a strong position against Lott and run and run with the story. Neither mans comments were meant to be anything racist but when the media decides to come after you, look out.

Back to the asinine soldiers in the Iraq prison …I still say hammer 'em.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well...once again, we agree on some important points.

Anyone that abused prisoners...yes, go after them big time.

Yes, world media often does a dis-service to its customers.

Greymage

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
That is why I said I would like to see a public trial and severe punishment. But, if you don't think news reporting plays a role in emboldening the enemy then we most definitely disagree on that premise.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much positive coverage of anything do you see in the news... even Fox News? Don't blame the messenger - if people liked watching upbeat news all the channels would be running mostly happy stories.

[ QUOTE ]
A recent example is when the media went after Trent Lott last year for his praise of Strom Thurmand and he was forced to resign from his leadership position.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said was:
[ QUOTE ]
I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not really praise for Strom Thurmond the man. That's an editorial comment on his politics, which were segregationist.

Also, he wasn't forced to resign by the media or the liberals... if it was up to them he would have been out a long time before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. It was his fellow Republicans who did him in...

[ QUOTE ]
Why doesn't the media cover the far, far left anti-war protesters? I have my opinion and it's the same reason they pay little attention to the far, far left "environmentalist".

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's because the fact that there are nut cases on all sides is not newsworthy? Now when those nut cases do something, like burn down Aspen condos, torch some SUVs, or go sitting in a tree, you do see coverage of it.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
I actually do believe that it's worthwhile in some cases to send troops in when the US is not directly threatened - for example, I would not have objected to sending troops to stop the Tutsi massacre in Rwanda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, you don't know all the facts on this and you have no idea of the culture of countries like Rwanda. If you did, you wouldn't make this statement and you wouldn't keep harping on this situation. This is another situation where the media was not honest with us in their reporting... ok, I'll be fair... it's not that they weren't honest, they just chose to leave out some key points... as usual... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Remember Somalia? Remember the tribes running around trying to wipe each other out? Remember the warlord, Muhammad Farah Aidid? These countries have existed in this kind of tribal culture for more years than this country has even been in existance. This is something that we do not comprehend. Likewise, they do not comprehend why they can't go around warring with each other and trying to gain superiority over the other tribes. When told to stop warring with the other tribes, they simply look at us and ask, "Why?"... as they should... they have been warring with each other all their lives and have passed these cultural "practices" down through the generations. You see, they don't have TV's... so they can't see CNN or FNN or even SNL. And they don't have radios... so they can't hear Rush or Sean Hannity or even Howard Stern. They war with each other and commit mass genocide but when we (or even the UN!) try to get them to knock it off, they band together and war with us. Again, I'll remind you of Somalia.

And yes, you're right about the whole thing with the US not having any interests in Rwanda. But we did actually try anyway at one point. Come to find out though, these people didn't want us there because we were a direct threat to their very culture and the way they have been doing things for centuries. They may hate each other but they won't let their culture be threatened. BTW... where's the almighty UN in Rwanda? How come they haven't tried to "help"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You tell us that the Iraqi people don't want us to come to their country and change their culture and so we should get out and leave them alone to rebuild their country the way they want. Why shouldn't we do that with Rwanda also? You seem to have a double standard here. The difference that I see is that the majority of the Iraqi people do want us there and they do want our assistance. The Rwandans aren't interested in the least bit. Neither are the Somalis. And yes, because we really don't have any "interests" there, we've decided to leave the task to the UN... I'm sorry, did I already ask where they are and what they are doing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Oh wait! Now I remember what the UN has been doing!!
idea.gif
... They've been brokering deals with the oil for food program... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Get off the Rwanda kick, Greymage... it's irrelevant here and as I said, you obviously don't know anything about that kind of culture and don't have all of the facts on that particular situation.

Back to the topic at hand... Ikendu and Dave...
happy15.gif

Greymage

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:

Obviously, you don't know all the facts on this and you have no idea of the culture of countries like Rwanda. If you did, you wouldn't make this statement and you wouldn't keep harping on this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I brought it up (once, I don't recall "harping") as an example of a just cause. I didn't say I think it would have been a good idea militarily.

[ QUOTE ]

You tell us that the Iraqi people don't want us to come to their country and change their culture and so we should get out and leave them alone to rebuild their country the way they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I don't recall saying we should leave... it's kind of late for that, I don't see any choice but to stick it out and make sure a stable state gets built.

I don't think we should have gone in in the first place, given the lack of WMD and lack of ties to terrorist organizations targeting the US. I mean, in terms of threats, North Korea has nukes and also has a crazy dictator in charge. And who knows how long Pakistan, another nuke-wielding country, will be stable? And if you want to root out terrorism, what I've seen seems to point to Saudi Arabia as one of the main sources of funding and the main exporter of the fanatic Wahabi sect all over the world.

But what's done is done, the eggs are broken, we have no choice but to make an omelet now.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

One country at a time.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Nitro said:
One country at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitro... you beat me to it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry Sasha

Nice shoes, BTW!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Nitro said:
One country at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitro... you beat me to it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. We were warned in the fall of '01 that this would be a different type of war and that it would take a long time.

Ikendu, atleast three "epic battles" have already been fought on US soil, the airliner attacks on the WTC, the Pentagon and that lonely, desperate struggle by those brave citizens in the air over western Pennsylvania. They foiled the enemy's plans and chose to drive the plane into the dirt, knowing they would die, rather than allow it to be driven into another building full of people.

I imagine there are many millions of people who would take exception with your synopsis of the Vietnam War on numerous points. I do. But, so what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Britt

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

BC0311 said: ...[3] "epic battles" ...WTC...Pentagon ...air over...Pennsylvania.

Agreed. No war on the "beaches of San Diego"...but these were definitely carried to our home front.

BC0311 said:...Vietnam War...so what?

Exactly. You may have heard the phrase "Those that see the past dimly are doomed to repeat its failures". We sent troops to occupy Vietnam because our Gov't told us that North Vietnam had attacked our Navy in the Gulf of Tonkin...a gathering threat you might say. Later, that attack was discredited; didn't even happen. We spent years occupying someone else's country. The wrongness only stopped...when we left.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

And something like 1.5 million Vietnamese boat people (of whom an estimated 1/2 million died at sea) left Vietnam too after the US left (including many from the north).

A human tragedy no matter which way you look at it.

-Bill

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ikendu, first off, I didn't reply to your "San Diego" statement because I never said it and nobody I fought with said it. If your brother believed it that's his problem. If we could go back in time and put you on a box to make this statement to my outfit, you would have been laughed to scorn.

What most of us did hear alot of was "The Domino Effect". That concerned the Southeast Asian Peninsula.

You are using your "beaches of San Diego" slogan as a strawman to provide yourself with an easy target to make your weak argument appear stronger.

You insist on using the term "occupation" to describe what the Americans were doing in Vietnam hoping that by saying it over and over it will be accepted as true. Also hoping that others will accept it as analogous to what is going on in Iraq.

Your last statement: "The wrongness only stopped...when we left." demonstrates how, in your zeal, you only accept the history that agrees with your sales pitch. You ignore the history that doesn't.

The previous poster's mention of the "Boat People" is the one point necessary to prove your statement isn't true. There are plenty more, but one is sufficient.

But, you'll go on believing it, probably for the rest of your life.

So, this brings us back to your: "Those that see the past dimly are doomed to repeat its failures".

Probably because they are so influenced by people who edit history in order to sell their articles of faith.

Instead of sitting around arguing about history, why don't you go to Iraq and be a part of making it? Maybe you can make your pitch to all those millions of Iraqis that thank their God that the Americans came and got rid of Saddam and his reign of terror?

Obviously, you think the North Vietnamese's putting hundreds of thousands of South Vietnamese (including most of the leadership and functionaries of the PLF/Vietcong) into indoctrination concentration camps celebrated the end of "wrongness" and inaugurated the dawn of "rightness" in South Vietnam.

This has strayed far off topic and become boring. I'll let you and your fellow-travelers have the last word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned

Sasha RE "These countries have existed in this kind of tribal culture for more years than this country has even been in existance. This is something that we do not comprehend."
I appreciated your lucid post for its astuteness and diplomatic tone. Geo-politics is my weak point to be sure, but my insight into human psychology and recent conflicts and injustices around the world tell me that humans may possibly be devolving. This is not just my conclusion but that of a number of analysts as well. I'd love to hear your opinion on this subject? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Aten... honestly, I don't get into all of the psychological or scientific analysis of any of this. I just call 'em like I see 'em. Devolving? I dunno... Seems to me that if you want to pin any kind of label on societies like these tribal ones, it's not that they are DEvolving, it's just that they are not Evolving. I think they would argue that point with you though. As I said, their cultures have remained the same for more centuries than ours has even existed. So who is "right" and who is "wrong"? ... I'll bet they would argue that point with you as well.

Humans, in general, devolving? Again, I don't like to generalize or even analyze this stuff. It is what it is. "recent conflicts and injustices around the world"... I guess if you want to call that devolving, it might be appropriate... or perhaps it's simply a case of not learning from past mistakes... a human failing since the beginning of time, to be sure.

Or maybe it's something completely different... maybe it's the human instinct to survive. In which case, I would definately label that Evolving. Here's a thought along those lines... let's take the Rwandans. Their culture has survived how many centuries? If it didn't work, they'd be "extinct" (for lack of a better term). Our culture looks at it as genocide... they look at it as survival of the fittest. And the fittest have survived. Thrived? that's another issue... but again depends on definition. Our culture labels these "recent conflicts and injustices around the world" as "wrong" but perhaps it's not... perhaps it's just the basic human instinct. Again... I dunno...

I do feel that our culture and those like ours around the world are very arrogant and narrow-minded in their ways of thinking that any culture that is not like ours is just flat out wrong and that it is our duty to "show them the way". I'm not preaching tolerance here... or even acceptance... I'm suggesting understanding. In many ways, I think that we've learned this just a little bit more with this situation in Iraq. The Rwandans didn't want our help. The Somalis didn't want our help. The Iraqis do. The thing we have to remember with the Islamic culture is that it is based on the Quran which again, has existed for more centuries than our culture has. Evolving those cultures into the 20th (not a typo) century is definately beneficial to the rest of the world but not in a way that forces them to completely abandon their cultures. I know many will argue with me on this point, but I have my reasons for believing that we are indeed "doing it right" in Iraq right now... or at least attempting to "do it right". Of course, there will always be those who will resist progress but that too is basic human nature. And again, the fittest will survive... in this instance, the fittest being the majority and their basic human instinct to not only survive but thrive.

I think I really went off on a tangent here... sorry... I'll stop now...
duh2.gif

Latest posts