6P or Z2?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I would get the Z2, then remove just the flared rubber grommet from the body. They come off fairly easy if you just start by rolling one side of the grommet towards the back of the light, then the other side to get it onto the regular grommets behind it. then just roll it off. You can always put it back if needed. Keep the two regular grommets on for some grip, but now it won't hang in your pocket.

I did this with my M3 that I sometimes carry in my tool pouch for work. Once I removed the flared grommet, no more grabbing on to the pouch.:)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the Z2 will work on .8" light mounts AND the 1" light mounts (clamp style of course)

Last edited:

Benner

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, I would get the Z2, then remove just the flared rubber grommet from the body. They come off fairly easy if you just start by rolling one side of the grommet towards the back of the light, then the other side to get it onto the regular grommets behind it. then just roll it off. You can always put it back if needed. Keep the two regular grommets on for some grip, but now it won't hang in your pocket.

I did this with my M3 that I sometimes carry in my tool pouch for work. Once I removed the flared grommet, no more grabbing on to the pouch.:)

That's what I am considering after seeing the pictures of that adapter above, as apart from the grips, the E2E with the adapter and larger head is pretty much the same size a Z2 anyway.

Benner

Newly Enlightened
try maybe an E series light with valiant head/m60...

also use and e2e with lumens factory bulbs and rcr123's

Use/buy the long clips...

I actually love the E series 2 123 body lights...i actually edc an old e2L -kl1 head...in fact used it quite a bit when we had a 2 day black out here...

My old Kl1 E2l has many stories and been in many celebs houses!

I'm guessing you can't, but will a standard P60 drop in fit in the Valiant head?

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing you can't, but will a standard P60 drop in fit in the Valiant head?
Nope. The Valiant bezel works only with Malkoff modules.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Malkoff offers a nice Warm tinted version of his M60. It has none of that nasty LED blueness. It's way brighter (at 170 Warm lumens) than a P60.

Benner

Newly Enlightened
Nope. The Valiant bezel works only with Malkoff modules.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Malkoff offers a nice Warm tinted version of his M60. It has none of that nasty LED blueness. It's way brighter (at 170 Warm lumens) than a P60.

I like the look of the Malkoff drop ins, but the only problem is that I want to have different switchable levels of output. I have found other LED drop ins that I can do this with, and have also found a switch called the Lightsaver which apparently works with incans only. Has anyone tried this switch with a Malkoff or any other LED drop in?

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
I like the look of the Malkoff drop ins, but the only problem is that I want to have different switchable levels of output. I have found other LED drop ins that I can do this with, and have also found a switch called the Lightsaver which apparently works with incans only. Has anyone tried this switch with a Malkoff or any other LED drop in?
Awe heck, why didn't ya just that before? :thumbsup: The Malkoff MD-2 host light has the option of a high/low. One simply twists the bezel slightly for high/low.

Linky:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/build-your-own-flashlight-p-65.html

Tac

Newly Enlightened
I actually have both of those in my two pockets right now, and I must say, I prefer the 6P in terms of carrying, etc. The Z2 is my favorite without the rings on though.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Use the google, cpf only tool bar at the top of every CPF page, and enter UNIQ. It is the UNIQ continuously variable tail cap and it works very well with LED lights that are powered by 6 volts or more. I have one, and MrGman does also. We both have had good luck with ours. It will start at a very dim level and ramp up fairly fast to the highest level. If you have a regulated LED light it will work of the circuit and each level will be regulated. I have proven this for my self using my light meter with bounce off of a ceiling, recording the meter lux numbers. The UNIQ tailcap has a built in PWM circuit.

Bill

Benner

Newly Enlightened
Use the google, cpf only tool bar at the top of every CPF page, and enter UNIQ. It is the UNIQ continuously variable tail cap and it works very well with LED lights that are powered by 6 volts or more. I have one, and MrGman does also. We both have had good luck with ours. It will start at a very dim level and ramp up fairly fast to the highest level. If you have a regulated LED light it will work of the circuit and each level will be regulated. I have proven this for my self using my light meter with bounce off of a ceiling, recording the meter lux numbers. The UNIQ tailcap has a built in PWM circuit.

Bill

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

Basically I want a Surefire light that can be quickly changed between LED or incan drop in's (I am colourblind so find having both as a huge benefit), that I can have variable output with, that is pocketable, and that can be modified to produce a silly amount of output (eventually). I just need to find out what to start with.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am colorblind as well, cool tint LED's make it worse for me.

Nailbender made me a 2 level drop-in that uses a Cree high CRI XP-E and it realy looks like an incan to me. It makes my Q4 5B look a little cool. :laughing:

manoloco

Enlightened
If you are going to try LED, and want 2 levels, like the L1, you can try the McE2C switch, or you can try this setup (which i am assembling):

6P head+malkoff m60+vital gear E2C adapter+e2e body+ aleph tailcap with McE2S

advantages of that setup: thinner at the body, you can combine any e-series tailcap, or e-series body (specially nice with 1 cell configurations), and any aleph tailcap, with malkoff drop ins. very versatile, and you get to use (imo) one of the best UI out there.

only part i need and its on its way here is a 6P head... will take pics of this combo when it arrives.

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
... will take pics of this combo when it arrives.

Finally all parts got here and i could assemble my current favorite:

Picture009.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture016.jpg