A Father/Son Story

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one with tears from this (or the only one to admit it)?

Proud you should be, not only of your son, but yourself.

Of anything I've accomplished in life or of the many more failures, the most important thing to me will always be what my daughter thinks of me as a father looking back. Her cards and similar written expressions are my most prized possessions.

BTW, awesome writing.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of anything I've accomplished in life or of the many more failures, the most important thing to me will always be what my daughter thinks of me as a father looking back. Her cards and similar written expressions are my most prized possessions.

So true, kitelights. And I appreciate your kind words.

Marlite

Enlightened
Hello AF Austin

A great tribute to a great father. Your son's insight into your character and who
you really are, is spelled out in this heartfelt story of his love for you.

He will continue to make you proud as he just found the path you walk is his too.

Cheers,
marlite

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marlite,

Thank you. The next best thing to my son's story, which I will treasure forever, has been the wise and generous comments from my friends here at CPF, good fathers and sons all.

Andrew

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Gentlemen, thanks for your comments.

The flashlight was a Fenix LOD CE.

"Some sort of Fenix model." = The words that popped into my head after reading the description.

Thank you for sharing, that was great. Wish I felt about my dad, the way your son feels about you.... But we don't always get what we want.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That's quite a story. Sorry I missed it the first time round - thanks for the replay.

It was touching to see your son come to realize your depth of feeling for him. I must say, I have some difficulty in reconciling your son's initial depiction of you in his story. Having seen all your generous contributions here on CPF, I can only envisage you providing a consistently safe, secure and supportive environment for all your children.

Your willingness to share this story with the rest of us speaks volumes about your personal character and your commitment to your family. Thank you.

P.S.: Did you also give a light to your daughter this year?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on the success of your children. That's a great story.
:twothumbs

Here is what another writer had to say about his father.

Mark Twain, Old Times on the Mississippi:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
selfbuilt,

Thank you so much for your kind and generous words. Given the admiration I have not only for your incredible technical expertise but also for your integrity, wisdom, and leadership in these halls, they mean quite a lot to me.

And yes, indeed, I did give my daughter a flashlight, the night before we drove her to college. She loves to read and has chosen Philosophy as her major. I know she likes to indulge in a good book before going to sleep (as do I) and won't want to disturb her roommate with a lot of light. So, for her I chose my brass Peak Matterhorn 3 LED. Like all brass Peaks, it is a thing of beauty, and it puts out a nice white circle of light, perfect for reading in bed. :candle:

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz, thank you so much. I am indeed proud of the boy. His mother is convinced we'll be seeing him one day at the Academy Awards, accepting an Oscar for best original screenplay. And, of course, his speech will be all about thanking his mother---to whom he owes everything! :D

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Art, thanks for your post, and thanks so much for the Mark Twain quote. You, and he, are right on the money---I have thought of that very quote quite a bit in recent years!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz, thank you so much. I am indeed proud of the boy. His mother is convinced we'll be seeing him one day at the Academy Awards, accepting an Oscar for best original screenplay. And, of course, his speech will be all about thanking his mother---to whom he owes everything! :D

I hope so. Let us know if he does go in that direction, then I can say, "Hey, I know that guy!" :)