A few last minute "Pre-Build" Questions before the weekend build..

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Justin Case, what would you think about putting 5 ARM 14500's in my adapter with a spacer for one? (I already have two 14500's for my Solar Force Lego.)

I'm not sure I know what an ARM 14500 is. Is that just some brand name for a 14500 Li-ion?

Here's the challenge. With a standard Li-Co chemistry Li-ion, you don't want to exceed 2C discharge rate, which otherwise overstresses the cell.

0.83 * (5*3.7V) * Ibatt = 3.6V * 6.6A = 23.8W -> Ibatt=1.6A.

For use in a one-shot test, it's probably ok. For regular usage, I think you'd be pushing the 14500 cells too hard.

Tkklemann

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I corrected my original post... Should have been AW 14500. Good old iPhone autocorrect.

Looks like the challenge is on now to find a suitable battery gas tank for this thing now...

I did find a 8AA - 2D that I could possibly use, I might have to have the Mag bored out a touch though which I would rather not do. (If I have to, well, I have to..)

Hmmm, 17670's, I might be able to squeeze 4 of them into the mag, but figuring out how to get them all in serial would be a challenge as I would already be longer than 2D's..

If someone could make a "1761.5", that would be perfect. Four would fit very nice in a 2D Mag.. :)

Nobody makes a suitable Li-Co C size battery, do they? I searched google and all I could find was very low rate discharge types suited more for long term power.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would use 3xIMR26500. This 2D Mag mod shows how I built one. It's quite straightforward. Get some PVC conduit as described in post #11 and cut it to size. Make your tail spring mod as shown in the very last photo in post #3. I used Liquid Plumber Gel to de-anodize the inside of the tailcap, but you probably can use any sodium hydroxide-based (lye) drain cleaner.

But first things first. You need to test your build to see if it is Vbatt-limited by driving the H6Flex with at least 7xAA Eneloops or the equivalent in terms of voltage under load. Compare it to 6xAA Eneloops.

Last edited:

Tkklemann

Newly Enlightened
I would use 3xIMR26500. This 2D Mag mod shows how I built one. It's quite straightforward. Get some PVC conduit as described in post #11 and cut it to size. Make your tail spring mod as shown in the very last photo in post #3. I used Liquid Plumber Gel to de-anodize the inside of the tailcap, but you probably can use any sodium hydroxide-based (lye) drain cleaner.

But first things first. You need to test your build to see if it is Vbatt-limited by driving the H6Flex with at least 7xAA Eneloops or the equivalent in terms of voltage under load. Compare it to 6xAA Eneloops.

This is too funny; The mods you did in that thread are the exact same things I did to my previous Mag running 3 C's - PVC Pipe, Shorten the tail cap spring, de-anodize etc.. I am very familiar in doing those mods.

I will try out the 7AA Eneloops tonight and report back.

And Dangit, Lighthound is out of stock on the IMR 26500's. I was going to order them right now...

Anyone else have a source? I wanna see my baby burn my retina's! Haha

Tkklemann

Newly Enlightened

So I *attempted* to try out the 7AA's last night and ran into a simple problem. I don't have enough hands to hold all the MM leads, AA Battery and what not in place. I did get it to go for a very brief time, but couldn't tell if it really was brighter or not. I couldn't get a reliable enough connection trying to hold the 7th AA in place, and have the MM probes all making good contact.

Funny thing though was last night I did some more poking around, and my 6AA's hot off the charger, put into the adapter and read 8.25V. I put it in the light, and all the light was mustering last night was ~3.9A, very close to your original calculations in post 16.

I am going to play around with it more today and tonight, but as it stands, I can't take away George's driver spec's need more than what this pack is really putting out. I do really like the light even with it only putting out what it does, but I long for more.

I sucked it up and ordered Qty (3) IMR26500's per the advice here. I am assuming that running those, this light will finally get the battery gas tank it needs and will become the monster I want it to be, correct?