A look inside my Pila IBC charger

Norm

Retired Administrator
It's designed for 6V, 12V is too high, a higher current rated PSU will be fine.

Norm

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at Figure 5 of VM7205 datasheet, and comparing it with Pila IBC circuit board, I figured that replacing the 2W 0.22 ohm ceramic resistor (R1) with a 0.15 ohm ceramic resistor would change the charging current to 1 ampere. Do I also need to raise the power rating of the R1 resistor?

The psu that came with the Pila IBC is already rated 6V and 2A, so replacing it is already sufficient for the job.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Are you planning on doing this mod? If so I'd very much like to hear the results, I wouldn't mind my Pila IBC charging at 1A myself as I only use it to charge 18650's, I use my WF-139 to charge smaller cells.

verge

Newly Enlightened
Are you planning on doing this mod? If so I'd very much like to hear the results, I wouldn't mind my Pila IBC charging at 1A myself as I only use it to charge 18650's, I use my WF-139 to charge smaller cells.

I am toying the idea of this mod and have started online search for resistors and 6V/4A psu, but my biggest concern is the ic VM7205. I am not sure if the ic can handle 1A of current output. Its maximum current output is not stated on its datasheet, so I might end up with a destroyed Pila IBC charger.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I've done the same before, checking the internals before giving it a holes. :sick2:.

02142013038.jpg

Indeed, the internals speaks quality.

Up All Night

Enlightened
It certainly does look the part. Perhaps this will spawn a "what's in your charger?" thread.

That's a lota holes d.g!