A new photo competition?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC_3474.jpg

:)

Cool flashlight! I love slate AL.

I've done a little bit with HDR - I like it when it's either done lightly and it still looks like a photo, or it's over the top & looks like a painting.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, there's some sort of giant bug on the lens, I'm surprised you didn't notice! it's in the way of the coral shot! :thumbsup:

Perhaps should both raw and lightly modified images be posted so that not just outcome, but "feel" for eye-pleasing scene can be shown as well? Just throwing ideas, since I'm just an audience member :huh:

1 what

Enlightened
Great photo Don.
I'll have the flaps - Just soak them in lime juice overnight add s n p and 1 min each side on hot BBQ! Serve with fresh bread and butter, Yum. :thumbsup:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Great photo Don.
I'll have the flaps - Just soak them in lime juice overnight add s n p and 1 min each side on hot BBQ! Serve with fresh bread and butter, Yum. :thumbsup:
1 what,
I got turned on to soaking shark in milk as a means of killing the ammonia smell and taste. Worked great. I find now days I would much rather swim with these creatures than view them as a meal. I haven't heard of Manta as a food source and wonder if it would be similar to the rest of the shark family. :shrug: You certainly could get a heck of a lot of steaks from a Manta with a 15' wing span!! :green: Since they eat plankton and small critters I guess you would have to spear or net one? I couldn't imagine landing one that was speared though! I am pretty much convinced that we need to back off big time in harvesting a good number of these creature species until or unless they get back in numbers like they once were. This is especially true of the apex predators which includes most of the sharks but not the baleen members I suppose. :shrug: Have you seen the documentary "Sharkwater"? Check it out if you haven't.

Well we are derailing this thread but I guess it has already run its intended course. :eek:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorites - burrowing owl

owl1-1.jpg

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
one more bird picture... This one would pose on the beach, not afraid of people at all.

bird.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Will,
As others have said, great bird shots!!! Is that owl tiny or is it in elephant grass?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will,
As others have said, great bird shots!!! Is that owl tiny or is it in elephant grass?

The owls are small, about the size of a fist. They burrow into the ground and live in the holes. There are a lot of them in the grassy areas around the regional airport here. All the burrows are marked and the crews that cut the grass cut around them.

Thanks for the kind words.....

By the way , both pictures were taken with a Kodak DX7590 digital camera. This camera is like a point and shoot, but it has the ability to connect an external flash, full manual control ( except focus ) . It looks like a DSLR, it has a small screen on the back, as well as an digital viewfinder.

Last edited: