A single-mode alkaline friendly AA light, please.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
We seem to have focused on the 1xAA format but the original post didn't limit itself to single cell configurations.

I think there are lots of 2xAA lights out there that will happily run on alkaline. I've been super happy with my 2xAA mag mini with the NiteIze 1watt LED upgrade. I've never tried one of the new 2xAA or 3xAA Maglite LED lights, but all the reports have been promising (although the new one isn't single-mode).

Heck, if you want a decent cheap single-mode light that's plenty bright for common uses and gets decent runtime out of 2 alkaline cells, go to the battery section of your grocery store and get one of those 6.99 lights with the magnet built in for sticking on your fridge. The one I'm thinking of is made by Energizer and was reviewed here not too long ago. I think the consensus was that it was a great value for what it was. According to the review, the beam was surprisingly smooth from the plastic optics used.

If I can find the link to the review, I'll add it to this post.

Edit: here's the review https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238790

--flatline

Last edited:

vali

Enlightened
I got almost 3 hours using duracell alkalines in a Romisen RC-N3 from DX. Got too a RC-I3 for the car. According to BB tests the RC-I3 have a runtime arount 3 hours too using 1 or 2 AA cells (of course, with only one the light is dimmer, but not bad at all).

Burgess

Flashaholic
I think there are lots of 2xAA lights out there that will happily run on alkaline.

I've been super happy with my 2xAA mag mini with the NiteIze 1watt LED upgrade.

--flatline

+1 :thumbsup:

Mini-Maglite, with NiteIze 1watt LED, easily lasts 6 hours on plain ol' Alkalines.

And it's definitely " Grandmother Proof ".

Gave this exact combination to my Mother, in her early 80's.

She LOVED it !

Now she's gone, but i still treasure it.

_

Navin_R_Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I've checked again my E07 , with a fresh AA nimh varta ready2use (LSD), it draws 1.79 A , my memory was a little too high ;)

I don't have a good true RMS DMM, but my cheapie Harbor Freight unit says I'm drawing 1.02A off a freshly charged Duraloop. I might have to actually measure runtime, but I would have guessed it to be about 1.5 hrs or so on the Duraloop just based on my usage.

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
+1 :thumbsup:

Mini-Maglite, with NiteIze 1watt LED, easily lasts 6 hours on plain ol' Alkalines.

And it's definitely " Grandmother Proof ".

Gave this exact combination to my Mother, in her early 80's.

She LOVED it !

Now she's gone, but i still treasure it.

_

As a matter of act I have the Terralux ministar 5 one watt LED replacement for the minimag. I changed it to an SSC and it got quite a bit brighter. I also got one to my brother. It was not entirely brother proof :) He managed to twist it down to hard upon turning the flashlight on. This resulted in severely mangled contact pins for the LED Unit. Otherwise they are great investments. At least 5 hours regulated light from alkalines as can be seen here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_ministar2.htm.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Why does this not exist? A single-mode alkaline friendly AA light. With todays efficient emitters it could be decently bright with an output of max 2-300 milliamps. It would not be too hard on alkaline batteries. Well regulated it could probably achieve 3 hours runtime or more. This would make a fool-proof gift to anyone. The closest to this was the Civictor, but it is no longer made and it was using an old luxeon emitter. There are a few options out there with programmable modes and all that but I am asking for a grandmother-proof flashlight that goes on-off, not a computer.

The Inova X1 version 4 is not too bad for a single mode light on alkalines. I think monocrom or one of the long time members did a old school runtime test which would come close to your request. I'm not sure about lumens though. It's the only one I can think of at the moment-Aloha

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current AA EDC is an incan Mini-MagLite with the Nite-Ize 3-LED drop-in and clicky tailcap combo. On my MM it draws about 150mA with fresh alkalines. The 1-watt drop-in draws 1.0mA on fresh alkalines and 1.2mA on NiMH.

I'm patiently waiting for my Quark MiNi AA to arrive. That one will put 350mA to the XP-G R5 emitter for 90 lumens on high or 50mA and 2.7 lumens on low. It's a tiny twisty, though. I had suggested to 4Sevens that they make a 2AA battery tube for it but no responses so far. Even better would be to make a 2AA battery tube for it with a clicky button built in. Sure, it would be longer but it would be a short 2AA light putting out over 180 lumens on 2 alkalines (700mA to the emitter, 900mA draw?).

Jackscrj

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a Dorcy light idk if you can get one
or rayovac sportsman
mini maglite 2aa incan with led upgrade good option also :D

Tempsho

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody here actually have a 2360? I would like to see a full review on it if possible. They Fenix E20 looks like a nice light also. If was to buy a 2 AA alkaline battery for a family member, it might be one of those 2 lights. The Romisen are also good choices in the 2AA form.