A small 123/LS light (Long/pics)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thank you very much, everybody!!!!
(And /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif MR Bulk, I have come very close to buying one of your creations!)

The design is very straight-forward, and a bunch of these would be a more appropriate job for the Skunk Works, using Wayne's boards. Arc or anyone else is welcome to the design.
(Better flashlights for all.)

Larry

TripleDouble

Newly Enlightened
This is basically the light I've been dreaming about, but could never make. Now please tell me that I won't have to try...

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Excellent work. You will have no trouble selling these if you ever decide to make a run of them, and I'm sure you will be bombarded with requests to make more of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,
I think you've got the hit of 2003 so far and it's not even in production (yet!) you should capitalize on this! I would spend over $100 easily too. Beautiful work man!!!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Simply superb! What beautiful design and craftsmanship. I don't yet own a 123-powered light, but I'd sign up for one of these in a heartbeat.

Excellent job!

John

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry,

This light has some very elegant design features! Cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

Hikerdude81

Newly Enlightened
I am working on a prototype that has a Collimator and pushbutton switch, and should be even smaller. It should be out in a limited basis in a couple months.
It is (IMHO) a sharp little thing, and should put out 30 lumens and is regulated.
I can post more when I get a better feel for what it will be able to do, and when it will be available.
Please write back if you are interested, I am trying to get a feel for how many to make.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hikerdude81,

Wow, a prototype and design of the specs you have provided is worthy of its own thread! Perhaps you can start this thread soon as an aid to keeping this thread based on comments and Q's about Larry's creation.

- Don

moses

Enlightened
Hey Larry, just want to note that when it comes to 'Paypal Sent', I'm at the FRONT of the line... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif OK, actually, not to be greedy, you sell to whomever you want.

Larry, as mentioned, this is gonna be one long thread. During idle musings, others have thought about a design similar to this. The difference is that I just dream about it while Larry actually gets this stuff done in his spare time.

McGizmo, agree with your sentiments about the new thread. (As far I'm concerned, Larry and Don are now two 'top of the class' mod guys... Great work and great guys.)

Again, I'm blown away.

Mo

Bill.H

Enlightened
Larry,

Very nice work! That might be the first 123 or LS I'd consider actually carrying in a pocket. Sure you don't want to make a bunch?
Is that a spacer ring and lens I see in the last pic betweeen the collimator and the top ring? Nice touch, especially if it's a good glass lens.

Hikerdude81,
I think there'd be a big market for that, please post some pics in a new thread when you can.

Hikerdude81

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo, you are right, this isn't the place to put something like that (I'm still pretty new around here...thanks for being patient with me). I just got excited about the fact that somebody is thinking along the same lines as me.
What Tvodrd has is a very slick little unit, and that's a good idea using the MicroPuck, it keeps the parts count down, and is small.
Keep up the good work!

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Larry - very impressive... did you give the light away as a retirement gift yet? I'd like to know what the reaction was. Nothing speaks better of a gift than a high quality, hand-made/machined piece of gear that can be used every day.

There are some truly talented individuals on this board!

Good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Larry,

This light is a dream come true. The first and only high output LED light that's truly keychain sized. This is a real coup. What came before was either too big for me to want to put on a keychain, or not really high powered. One key to making this possible is the turned down collimator. I'm curious as to what effect that has on the beam; I would expect that there would be SOME loss, or else it would have been smaller in the first place, right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Could you post beam shots with the stock collimator and your customized one side by side?

Besides the size, I also like the size of the head in comparison to the body, it should be easier to operate than the Arc twistie, or the Infinity. Perfect.

Finally, I think your attitude and spirit in freely offering the design to the community is inspiring. BUT, I hope that does not mean you won't be making a big batch of these to sell...

--Sal