A small 123/LS light (Long/pics)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
N162E,

If I understand your question, there is no insert. Screwing the bezel down loads the lens gasket against the lens against the optic against the LS itself. The copper doesn't touch the optic, and was polished to help bounce a few more photons out the front. There are 5 machined parts: the bezel, the optic, the copper center section, the + bat contact, and the bat case.

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
btw...what's up with that e2e in the fourth picture first post? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] The pics are back up for that post- about page 9 of this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . (The pieces finally got anodized along with these lights)(Aint sure how to link it.)

Larry

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry, again, very nice light.

I respect your decision to not mass produce these, if you feel you could not commit the time and effort to produce several hundred of these. The only thing worse than NOT having one of these, would be getting an inferior product, or waiting many months after the "promised" date.

Sad decision, but a wise one.

NOW, maybe you could get with skunkworks, or Peter at ARC or the person who made the UBHII, or Electrolumens, or someone to make them.

Also, Like Sigman said, lets keep the price reasonable! I have purchased several 120 $ lights, but I still saw the value in them, and have purchased several mod's from CPF members, but I have always precieved a value in the light that I purchased.

Also, Like Sigman said, you should be compensated for your time and efforts.

Ben H

Enlightened
Larry,

You have created a fantastic flashlight! I love the black and gold color scheme. I sure hope somebody will start making this awesome light! Based on the response so far, demand for this light doesn't seem to be an issue. This is exactly the type of light I don't have, but want very badly.......small, bright, regulated, and waterproof. If someone builds it, we will buy it. Please! Somebody build this flashlight!

Awesome job Larry!

Trent

Newly Enlightened
The perfect pocket light and you can't get it.
CMG,ARC,SureFire,etc. take notice.
Just think mag could come out with this and blow everyone away. That would be embarassing.
JM2CW

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Larry,
This is sweet... I would love to see these made, but I understand why you can't (I am in the same boat with my 12 AA battery holder, but I really want to make them). Very nice work!!! So, you made what, 7 of these in total? It's times like this when I wish I still worked for a small private machine shop that would be willing to build a product like this in small volume. Awesome!!! Wonderful idea for a retiring engineer. You should show him this thread after you give him his TROPHY, and I'm sure he'll realize exactly what he has in his hands. He will really appreciate it! Great job!

This leads me to wonder... What if some CPFers got together and took out some small business loans...? There are some seriously talented folks here, if all these resources could be pooled and put into a company, I could easily see it dominating the lighting world. :daydreaming:

I can see it now...
HEADLINE: CPF Usergroup, LLC., the industry leader in revolutionary personal lighting products, purchased M@g Instruments today to help further it's goal to provide high-tech, high-power, low cost flashlights to the world. The company plans to re-open M@g's long defunct R&D department, which has not seen use since... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Larry,

I've never said this before, but I almost wish that I had never seen this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The frustration of seeing something so perfect, getting hopes up followed by subsequent disappointment is cruel indeed!

Congratulations on a truly unique accomplishment.

Brightnorm

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
One question I just thought of -- the activation method is twist-on, correct?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shots -

In looking at the assembly picture at the top, I see what appears to be a NX-05 Optics, so we should have the standard Luxeon 1 watt beam.

This thing is looking better and better!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
MR Bulk-
Yes, it is simple twist on.

Beam shots- I took a couple pics. Interestingly, I don't a difference just holding my MiniMag AA w/BB400 and the little lights in either appearant brightness or beam appearance, other than the MM aint centered real well. I have 2 flavors of the "Luxeon Lottery"- bluish and greenish, the latter being more of a soft white. I have no doubts they are all Q's. The camera can't be lying- the little lights (with their cut-down optics) have a wider beam. Pics are from 5' against a (dirty) off-white wall:

site1014.JPG

site1015.JPG

Larry

flash....

Enlightened
Larry...
That is one awesome light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Please reconsider doing a batch of these, I'm sure you would sell out before you finished production.
Count on my purchase (or three) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tomas

Banned
Hi, Larry.

Your light is what I'd always wished my Arc LS was. Your design is simple and straightforward, and responds to some of the potential problems in simple ways (for example the off-center negative contact for contact cleaning).

Very elegant.

Being an engineer myself, I especially admire the completeness of the thought that went into the design. You have managed to make a light that others, professionals in the design and manufacture of flashlights, have strived for and missed.

I do hope someone picks up this design and manages to bring it to at least limited production. (And you, as the originator of this elegant design, should at get a small royalty from every one sold!)

Even if this light is never produced for sale, you have shown others that it CAN be done, and done right.

Thank you.

tomsig03.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks again, everybody! (Esp fellow engineer Tomas!)

The design is totally straight-forward. The aluminum wall thickness is a uniform .050," not counting the threads which are 11/16-24 NEF, where the "wall" drops to ,025" or so. It's kind of a scaled-up Arc AAA, and a lot easier to turn on/off with one hand. Hopefully, someone (Peter!) will take the design and run with it! Ethics prohibit my doing a production-run from the shop at work! I do not have the time to chase having a bunch of parts made from outside vendors. (My employer throws me onto the street, could be a different story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

(Picture that sucker CR2-based, and overdriven!- I'm back on that project, which I started before this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)

Larry

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Larry, I'm so happy to hear you say CR2!!! It's about time someone explored this possibility. But overdriven???

Edit:
Oh, do you mean 2xCR2's? I'd love to see a 1xCR2 light, probably somewhat underdriven since 1) there's not a lot of juice in these batteries, 2) you can't get them for $1.50 like the 123's, and 3) there's not going to be much metal to sink the heat in a 1xCR2 keychain light...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
...(My employer throws me onto the street, could be a different story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .)...

[/ QUOTE ]

larry, do you have your employers email address?

sounds like some emails complaining about your horrible work attitude and your drug abuse, and your terrorist ties, and your drug smuggling, and your vandalism, and your murders, and your (insert offenses here) are in order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif