A Tribute to Nitecore D10

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know where the nightshade mod can be acquired? I contacted Nitecore about bringing this series back and they stated that they didn't have plans to do that at this time but it might be possible if enough interest was expressed. Really wish they would bring it back or someone as it UI is great and when you get a sample that works properly it's extremely intuitive and tough to beat as an EDC light. Still use an EX11.2 which sees more daily use than any of my other lights including an SC62, SC5, SC32, Romisen RC-G2, Nitecore SRT5 and a few others. The D10 was my EDC for about 5.5 years until the lens finally broke and I retired it and purchased 3 of the EX11.2 to hopefully last me for many years to come.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
An updated D10 to the latest emitter and, possibly, an 18650 cell would be such an amazing light! Nitecore... do you see the genius of such a concept?

Yes. But NO other changes. NO Flats or any other shapes, humps or "add ons". Just the old school awesomeness, and new gen emitter and cell size option. Personally I'd still be down for a CR123 size too.

If this light did come they could probly sell the first thousand pieces on CPF alone!

Last edited:

pote

Newly Enlightened
I have the R2 version. Bought it when it first hit the market and immediately liked it. The UI is great and the infinite ramping is brilliant. I have only one complaint. Unless I unscrew the head as a sort of lockout, it will have horrible parasitic drain and it will drain a new battery in a matter of days. Maybe I have one that's unique in this aspect, but nonetheless it will eat a battery while off in less than a week. So now I'm just in the habit of unscrewing the head a few turns if I'm going to let it set for any duration at all. Other than that, I too wish they'd bring it back. Great old review.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
My original D10 from 2009 works great and I swapped the emitter out for an XM-L2 with 4500k tint. I've collected several over the years and also have a few D11.2 models as well as the EX10 and EX11.2 lights. Wish they would bring them back or someone like foursevens would try to license and make them. An 18650 PD light with the D10 body design would be an impressive light.

LedTed

Enlightened
(EDITED) An 18650 PD light with the D10 body design would be an impressive light.

I miss my D10 with XP-E R2. But my D11.2 with XP-L and 14505 rocks pretty hard. Though, I too would love to see and updated D10 or D11 utilizing an 18650.

Last edited:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
…I have only one complaint. Unless I unscrew the head as a sort of lockout, it will have horrible parasitic drain and it will drain a new battery in a matter of days. Maybe I have one that's unique in this aspect, but nonetheless it will eat a battery while off in less than a week.…

I have this same problem. D10 Tribute with Steve Ku's Ti clip, one of the greatest EDC lights ever! But I keep the head unscrewed too, and I only use AW 14500's
I Got sick of burning thru the E Lithiums when I was barley using the light.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ironic but none of mine have demonstrated this behavior except the one I modded with a neutral tint emitter. Not sure why since I never had drain issues before but after switching to the neutral emitter that one D10 will drain a battery in about 3 weeks.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Ironic but none of mine have demonstrated this behavior except the one I modded with a neutral tint emitter. Not sure why since I never had drain issues before but after switching to the neutral emitter that one D10 will drain a battery in about 3 weeks.

Indeed, that's very strange! I wish it wasn't so...but :shakehead

Does the XML fit into the reflector on its own, without being modified?
what about shimming for focus?
Thanks,

Nick

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used an XM-L2 in the light and it fit perfectly. Used a 14mm star and no issues at all. Only thing is the driver can't push the necessary voltage on the highest setting and the light turns itself off after about 10 seconds. It doesn't damage the light just won't last long. However at the medium setting it's brighter than before with the cool white LED so not a big deal. I do plan to replace it with an XP-G2 which won't push the driver as hard and should allow the driver to maintain the turbo setting without shutting the light off.

hatman

Enlightened
Terrific review - thanks. The entire thread is valuable and fun to read.

I kind of soured on my D10s when I started buying more powerful lights. Still, I kept mine powered with AW 14500s and ready to go.

But, because of those more powerful lights -- ZebraLights and EagleTacs -- my D10s just sat there among my earlier and seldom-used lights.

After re-reading this thread, I got out my D10s again. The little devils filled my hand and I remembered one of the reasons I had fallen in love with them: They have a certain tactile feel that is pleasing.

In one sense, they reminded me of one of my favorite EDC pocket-knives -- the Strider PT, smallest of the Strider folder series.

Most of my PTs have taken months to fully break-in. But they are a great fit for my hand and the tactile feel is addicting. I can't stop playing with them!

Ahem...well, the D10 is similar. It's a combination of size, weight and knurling, I imagine. It just feels right.

I've recently been using Eneloops in some of my AA-size lights. I replaced the AW 14500s in my D10s with Panasonic Eneloops. I'm recharging the AWs now -- wonder if they're still good? (They're too expensive these days to buy new ones!)

Meanwhile, those Eneloops provide plenty of light for the original purpose for my D10s -- as pocket EDCs and backups.

The Eneloops also should stay ready to use longer than the AWs.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed with your comments about the D10. It was my first real flashlight and I love the feel of it. It's simple, has good knurling and is a great EDC size. While it doesn't have the design like a Zebralight or more modern flashlights it still gets the job done. I use the D11.2 as my EDC now, one website still sells them. The piston system also made it unique because you didn't have to worry about a mechanical switch failing or an electronic one due to the spring inside the head. At that point the only failure point is the LED or circuit board.

The brightness on Eneloops is probably 140-150 lumens which is more than enough for most EDC tasks. I also love the fast shortcuts to high/low and the ramping feature. I only wish Nitecore would update and bring these back again. Adding these with modern emitters, circuit boards and a 18650 version would be excellent. They could keep the same form factor and design just update the internals. I've emailed Nitecore about it but they'll probably never bring these back... If only...

hatman

Enlightened
Agreed -- after years of using only 14500s I find the Eneloops bright enough in my D10s for just about any EDC task.

I have one early D10 and a Tribute. Both are marked R2. I was surprised that the tint from the Tribute is so different -- it's much whiter than that of my early D10.

sphere

Newly Enlightened
Several yards of an unnecessary quote were removed. ...Bill

Can we get hold of the Titanium D10 still ?

Last edited by a moderator:

HB 88

Newly Enlightened
I adore this discontinued design. I can easily understand both sides of any argument for or against this torch. Love or hate both serve this device. The driver and design are genius. Does anyone know the name of the engineer(s) who created the interface and driver? I know from this thread that McGizmo and 4-Sevens brought the piston into the design. But who created the driver?

Hiro Protagonist

Enlightened
One of my favorite threads!

d10ss_zps77eerkmt.jpg

d10s_zpsy8hs3z35.jpg

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Me Too! One of the first lights I ever started carrying religiously.

Great photo Hiro- D10

Latest posts