A2 is starting to ship on Fri

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bucky, I don't know the answer to your question but it's nice to see that I am not the only flashaholic from Grand Rapids.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Bucky:
How does this "simple but acceptable resistive circuit" compare to the regulation in the KL1 for instance? Similar, but not quite as good I am guessing?

Thanks,

Bucky
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bucky,

This comparison is really apples and oranges. The KL1 has a Luxeon that by rights and certainly recommended by Lumiled, is driven with a constant current power supply. The KL1 has a buck/boost driver that insures constant current for as long as the batteries (1,2 or 3 123 cells) can keep up. On the otherhand, the Nichia LED's can effectively be driven in a simple resistive circuit provided the resistor drops enough voltage from the Vin to provide a Vf to the LED at or below its max rating. There are many examples of production LED flashlights where resistive circuits are being used for the Nichia LED's. To my knowledge, only Opalec and Technology Associates have gone to more sophisticated drive circuits for the Nichia LED's. From what I have seen with the SureFire products in general and the LED offerings in specific, care has been given to using the LED's in a manner compliant with manufacturere's specifications. Other manufacturers are driving their LED lights beyond recommended specs but SureFire is taking a very conservative path.

- Don

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Bucky:
Don: Thank you very, very much for all your help in trying to understand. Unfortunately, I still don't know as much as I should about regulation and the inner workings of LEDs. Thanks!

jtivat: Funny you should mention that today because even though I moved here a few months ago, I just changed my location on CPF earlier today.

Bucky
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hope you didn't move from some place warm.
grin.gif

Bucky

Enlightened
Don: Thank you very, very much for all your help in trying to understand. Unfortunately, I still don't know as much as I should about regulation and the inner workings of LEDs. Thanks!

jtivat: Funny you should mention that today because even though I moved here a few months ago, I just changed my location on CPF earlier today.

Bucky

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
While we're waiting for the offical A2 release, I'm volunteering my nephew as a test subject of sorts.

He's a pilot for ASA (Delta subsidiary based in Atlanta) and a couple of weeks ago I visited for several days. I took along with me my M2 and E1e/KL1.

I showed him the lights and he was genuinely impressed with both and he said he could use both daily since he must do a visual inspection of the aircraft before each flight and the LED would be useful in the cockpit. He was particulary impressed with the throw of the M2 and the soft and broad LED illumination.

So I put it to the powers that be: use my nephew as a beta tester. He'd be a good person for some real world feedback.

MicroE

Enlightened
So, is there any interest in a group buy?
I thought that $225 was crazy but I might be able to swing $160 if this can be negotiated en masse.---Marc

Spark

Newly Enlightened
$160? Why pay that much? SureFire just had a price drop, you may want to revisit your favorite sites again. Hint Hint Hint
smile.gif

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
Went to SF Fountain Valley today Mon. 12/16 "No A2 available today - they havn't been released yet... maybe the end of the week"...

No 2003 calendars to hand out ?? although I thumbed through the one at the desk - mostly pics of wepon light stuff. He told me to request it from their website.

A MUST HAVE ... Guns & Ammo "Surefire Presents COMBAT TACTICS" magazine !! UPC code # 70992 34837

ygbsm

Enlightened
As I mentioned in another thread, a place in Idaho, the Cutlery Shoppe (1-800-231-1272) is taking preorders at $140.

I have pre-ordered two -- I had a preorder at the higher $180 price, but they adjusted the price down to the $140.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pre-Order at $140. Aren't you guys waiting to at least see the performance vs. the other lights that are out like the E2/KL1 combo or an E2 and a LS1/LS2 etc.

I am thinking about jumping on the $140 band wagon but I am unsure and don't have anything to "compare" the light to so I wouldn't know if I was getting a good or bad light. So therefore I will wait until you guys with a gazillion lights do some comparative studies.

Thanks

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Marty Weiner:
Ninja..Do they have a retail store at SF?

Marty
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've always thought SF should make a small showroom and a "will-call" pick up system. That way I could order and swing by to pick it up on my way home. A showroom just several hundred sq. ft. would be nice too with lots of protos
grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be cool, it would only be 2240.3 miles for me
grin.gif
that only about 34 hours. I can see it now honey I am going to stop by Surefire tonight on my way home, I will be back in a few days.
icon15.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
SF M6,

SF does have Will Call but unfortunately, no showroom. I think if you call and order something by 10AM you can pick it up at Will Call after 4PM.

Will Call and I know each other well.

ygbsm

Enlightened
I just talked to a guy at customer and asked about the A2. He responded by asking what color LEDs I had ordered on the A2 -- I told him white and red, having figured that the white would ship first. He confirmed that the white LED lights would ship first and he said they should ship "real soon."

He's had the light in his hands, really likes it, and he and other SF employees apparently have them on order and are eager for them to ship. They were, according to him, also very glad for the price decrease.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

REALLY!?!??! Very cool. I was told about a year ago that there was no pick up system in place. Sheesh, I've been missing out all this time! I'm stopping by to pick up the A2 when they release it so I can have it right away!!!!!