• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

wind-catcher

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs
Received my shipping notification from Don
I decided to go Haiku AA Hi-CRI route since I wanted to have more throw. But still tempting to order SunDrop head. I think now i have this Mcillness :D

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I carried a cool looking BB light and chose to deny you the option I would certainly feel more of a heal in doing so.
I Guess I am a little dense. I thought if we could get a few to do at the same time it would work for you. My apologies you made yourself crystal clear this time. Thank you. Frank :)

Redhat703

Enlightened
So the new AA Haiku can run either one AA or one li-ion 14500. Am I correct? If so, I'm all in for one.:)

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the new AA Haiku can run either one AA or one li-ion 14500. Am I correct? If so, I'm all in for one.:)
That is correct. But you need to realise that running a 4.2v 14500 will NOT damage your light but it will not give extra lux for being higher voltage. Anything above 3 volts will be converted into wasted heat. So an AA or a CR123 is ideal. But yes, it will run on a 14500.

Redhat703

Enlightened
That is correct. But you need to realise that running a 4.2v 14500 will NOT damage your light but it will not give extra lux for being higher voltage. Anything above 3 volts will be converted into wasted heat. So an AA or a CR123 is ideal. But yes, it will run on a 14500.
Thanks for your quickly response Ben! As I'm not intending to do so, I want to make sure that the light can withstand a li-ion 14500 in AA pak or RCR123 in a CR123 pak:)

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your quickly response Ben! As I'm not intending to do so, I want to make sure that the light can withstand a li-ion 14500 in AA pak or RCR123 in a CR123 pak:)
You can place an order and you can bank on it with the rechargeables.
This is indeed a very versatile LE. 2hours on high with white eneloops and 2.5hours on high with the black eneloops. No worries about heat and you can actually hand it to a kid to use. :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very happy to see an uber-quality US maker address the 1xAA market, I'm interested (love the low lumen focus too). Couple of questions, if someone can help me...

I understand a 14500 won't drive the light any harder, but does the "V>3, clipped and wasted as heat" effectively mean about 25% of the cell's capacity will be lost? Said another way, will an Eneloop with 2.4 (1.2Vx2000mah) watt-hrs of energy out perform what sounds like ~ 2.1 (3.7Vx750mah x75%) watt-hrs from the 14500? I assume the 2/10/85 lumen modes remain at spec for either cell, ie. lower modes won't bump up with higher voltage cells.

Would there be any efficiency advantage to running a 3v CRAA/14505 lithium primary, over a 1.5v L91, due to it being closer to Vf (yet no excess voltage clipped/heat wastage), although same total energy? Anyone try one, since CRAAs have shallower button tops and don't work in all lights?

Lastly, does the N119 have about the same temperature as the N219? I tried a XPG HCRI light and it's too warm for me, but really like the N219.

Thanks.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...does the N119 have about the same temperature as the N219? I tried a XPG HCRI light and it's too warm for me, but really like the N219.
The temperature of 119 and 219 can be the same and my warmest 219 is still more purely neutral than my hCRI XP-G's. If you like the 219 then you're unlikely to be less than happy with the 119, which incidentally is the emitter than made me keep my second Haiku, and I still carry on a daily basis.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Ben,
:wave:

I hope so. Do you know where Don gets those alkiline batteries?
Great run graph on those!
:grin2:

LOL. Don needs a helper. He has been working too hard.

Those L91 Lithiums will give you a good run for your money. I suspect at least 3 hours on high.
The 119 will benefit from this setup.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice, Brandon! I have been looking at the same light myself, guess you didn't go the SWGG route for this:D