AA tail-kicker?

Jack Lewis

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but I thought I'd trot it out afresh.

I travel a lot for work, often to pretty remote places, and I suspect the most common battery in the world is the good old AA. You can find 'em under rocks if you look hard enough.

I know these sorts of things are always subjective, but is there a general consensus on which 1AA light is best?

I'd love to find a light that's sturdy -- extremely so -- with a long-lasting low setting and a nice bright high.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jack

Jack Lewis

Newly Enlightened
Right. Trouble is, for some folks -- new folks like me -- it's tough to sort out what's what, in a search like that. The first post, for instance, hails from seven years ago. The second doesn't focus on 1AA lights. The third addresses AA electric shavers.

I was hoping someone might have an up-to-date opinion on the sort of light I described.

If not, sorry for wasting your time.

Jack

Kostoglotov

Newly Enlightened
JMHO (and no flame intended)-

If you want to be spoon fed the info you are looking for there are probably at least 3 or 4 threads in the first 4 or so pages asking the same question. Be aware that price will come into play with any recommendation.

If you want to learn why one is preferred Vs another, its worth while taking a look through some of the threads. There's a lot of good info in many of the threads that many posters dislike retyping fairly lengthy and well thought out posts each and every time someone asks "Whats the best XXXXXX"

FWIW - From a cost Vs performance standpoint, I'm real happy with the Lumapower 301. 2 stage, nice usable low and is well constructed.

Marduke

Flashaholic
JMHO (and no flame intended)-

If you want to be spoon fed the info you are looking for there are probably at least 3 or 4 threads in the first 4 or so pages asking the same question. Be aware that price will come into play with any recommendation.

If you want to learn why one is preferred Vs another, its worth while taking a look through some of the threads. There's a lot of good info in many of the threads that many posters dislike retyping fairly lengthy and well thought out posts each and every time someone asks "Whats the best XXXXXX"

That's what I was trying to get at. In the first few pages of the General Flashlight section alone there are two threads asking this identical question, and I know I've seen at least 4 others with slightly different thread titles in the last week alone.

For example:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184946
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184740
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184945
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183934
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174527

Jack Lewis

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the Lumapower suggestion.

For what it's worth, I'm really not looking to be spoonfed -- I searched through the first half-dozen pages or so, and didn't see anything similar. Lots of talk about AAA, but very little regarding 1AA.

A Google search can turn up plenty of material, but it's easy to get lost in old and tangential results. I figured I'd give it a whirl here, include my specific needs and hope someone would reply.

Thanks again,
Jack

Marduke

Flashaholic
I figured I'd give it a whirl here, include my specific needs and hope someone would reply.

Thanks again,
Jack

The thing is, "best" and "sturdy" and "bright" isn't very specific, and casts a VERY large net.

What will you be using it for?
How will you be carrying it?
How much are you willing to spend?
1xAA or 2xAA?
Throw or flood?
What about multimodes?
What type of switch?

Jack Lewis

Newly Enlightened
Marduke,

I just followed a daisy-chain of your responses to other fellows' posts, in which you respond by simply pasting in some other thread.

I'm sure you're a nice guy. But yes, some of us will be new. If that's not the case, it means the forum isn't growing. I can appreciate the sentiment that you don't feel like responding; I think Kostoglotov pointed that out -- politely -- above. Or, if you'd rather, simply ignore and move on.

But being too cool for school is... not.

Thanks anyway,
Jack

Marduke

Flashaholic
An answer to a question is an answer to a question. It matters not where it comes from, long as it's correct and accurate. But too often, the answer could simply be found as the first result if you type the question into something a simple as a Google search box.

Jack Lewis

Newly Enlightened
All right. If you don't mind, let's start over -- I'm here to make friends.

I haven't had much luck finding exactly what I'm looking for in other posts, so if you've got a moment, I'd love to hear your thoughts. If not, I understand.

I'll try to answer each of your previous questions:

- What will you be using it for?
Work, which involves hard field use and a great deal of travel, often to remote places. That's why I'm interested in the 1AA -- they seem to be a common battery. If there's a better option, please do let me know. I'm wide open to suggestions.

- How will you be carrying it?
Typically in a shoulder bag, although often in a pocket. So smaller is better.

- How much are you willing to spend?
Doesn't really matter, honestly. I can write it off, which is nice.

- 1xAA or 2xAA?
One, preferably, although if that's a mistake, feel free to holler.

- Throw or flood?
A good balance would be nice, leaning toward throwy. In a light that small I'm not sure how much throw would be possible, really. (Again, I'm new.)

- What about multimodes?
Like I mentioned, I'd like a very long-lasting low mode, with the option of a nice bright high.

- What type of switch?
I'm not picky, although durability is key. So maybe a twist switch.

I hope those parameters make sense. I may be asking for too much. If that's true, by all means say so.

Thanks,
Jack

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened
I know these sorts of things are always subjective, but is there a general consensus on which 1AA light is best?

I'd love to find a light that's sturdy -- extremely so -- with a long-lasting low setting and a nice bright high.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jack

Hi Jack,

I'm still new here myself, but I doubt that there's "a general consensus" on which one is best.

Other replies notwithstanding, let me give you this recommendation. It's not exactly what you asked for, but it's $10.90, shipped anywhere if you can wait a few weeks. I bought two of them, fixed 'em up a bit by improving the electrical contacts, then gave them away as gifts. Obviously I didn't do any thrash-testing since they were gifts, but they felt pretty solid. No low setting, only a high. But it's bright, 1xAA, and cheap. The grey model in the link above has a MOP reflector, and they also sell a black one that comes with a smooth reflector, according to the reports I've read here on CPF. If it doesn't turn out to be sturdy enough, or you find that you can't live without the low setting, you're only out a few coins.

Marduke

Flashaholic

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Jack_Lewis --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

I can second the suggestion by Marduke for the Fenix L1D-CE Q5.

I have one of those on my belt (EveryDayCarry) always.
Although mine is the older Q2 model. (not quite as bright as the Q5)

Runs great even on plain ol' Alkaline cells, or even lowly
Carbon-Zinc cells (!), as long as you run it on the Lower modes.

As Marduke sez (above), many AA flashlights really perform well once they are fed NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Good Luck in your quest !

And remember, always carry a "spare" light, also.

A nice Photon Freedom Max keychain-type light, clipped to your keys, jacket-zipper, etc. can sure come in handy. :thumbsup:

_

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix lights are pretty durable(Well, the ones that have been around for a bit). Look at this thread.

The Fenix L1D-CE Q5(8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"), Olight T15 Q5, Jetbeam CL-E V2.0, Lumapower LM31, Nitecore Defender, and probably a few others are all good 1 AA powered light.

I would also recommend a more powerful light like the Dereelignt DBS or similar for those time when you need to see further away (Maybe even something more powerful).

You're not asking for too much. Heck, even some sub $20 lights fit in those perimeters. Like this one, though long term durability would be iffy.

liquidsix

Enlightened
If you're willing to spend the $$ I'd say go for the NiteCore defender. Its a nice quality light, that's more advanced than most multi-stage lights, but general use feels as simple as a single stage. If you like your on/off switch to only be meant for on and off then I highly recommend this light. If that doesn't matter I'd say get a Fenix L1D-CE Q5, it's cheaper and supposed to be the most efficient. For something that's half way between the two, there's O-light T15 Q5, most of the UI is twists instead of clicks, and it's also not as pricy as the defender.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I know you are after a 1AA but trust me get yourself a fenix L2d you will love it the new Q5 puts out 180 LM on high something like 10-15 on low. Very tough and has really good run times.And it runs on 2AA.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hi Jack, and welcome.

I have a few Fenix torches and they are nice, but I would also recommend having a look at the Nitecore Defender Infinity, there are plenty of reviews in the 'flashlight reviews' section of the forum. I just took some beamshot pictures of a few torches tonight (including the Nitecore) so that might allow you to compare the throw of the Defender against some of the larger torches https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2298208&postcount=16

The Nitecore Defender feels a little more solid to me than the Fenix (I have the 2xAA version, the L2D) and you can programme the lower light level for a long runtime when required. I haven't checked the runtime charts but I would imagine the Fenix lasts longer on its cell because it has a step-up regulator vs the buck-boost design on the Nitecore; necessary because the latter accepts 4.2v Lithium-ion cells as well as 1.2-1.7v (NiMH-Li(1°)) AAs.

I don't think you are going to find many torches with much throw in the 1xAA category but for close to medium range, they shouldn't disappoint.

Andrew

Last edited: