AAA Turquoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EchoSierraTwo

[ QUOTE ]
BIGIRON said: BTW -- the girls call it turquoise, us macho guys call it "night vision green".....

[/ QUOTE ]

OOORAH!

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Anti_candescent said:
Sub Umbra: Maybe post a pic of the color of your new Turquoise? From everything I can gather these "should" be the EV led. Perhaps climb a traffic arm and wait for the green to compare

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
...If I could just set the autoshutter for more than 14 seconds...

I should have mine on Tuesday...

[/ QUOTE ]

If your camera has the manual control, set to F2.8 & 2 sec to get a picture close enough to what our natural eyes see in terms of brightness. Also set the white balance to either "sunlight" or "cloudy" to get the real color on the picture, or else you get the fake cyan. Nice to see, though.

-- dj

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but unfortunately it's my wifes camera and I use it just enough to have to start from scratch each time.

A couple days ago I was wondering, what city is SJ?

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:A couple days ago I was wondering, what city is SJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

So have yout got the answer now?

"SJ" stands for "Subang Jaya" and "MY" is for "Malaysia" not a state in US. I am changing to the full word to avoid confusion for otehr cpfers.

Malaysia is a beatiful and peaceful tropical country, I recommend you to visit if you plan for a vacation.

-- dj

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
OT

Thanks. I knew MY was Malasia but a few days ago I got out the maps and couldn't find 'SJ'.

Twenty years ago I delivered a ship to Singapore and I took two weeks off and took the train up to Buterworth and the ferry to Penang, before the causeway. I loved it. I loved the people and the food. I used to love the cafes on the corners that had 4-5 kitchens on carts around the building.

I was treated better in MY than I was in any other part of the Third World. Much better. What a wonderful place.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got it today. It was delayed by Ivan.

I just took it out for the second time and set it up so I could view it with a green LED traffic light for reference. I do not have the best eye for color but here is what I saw.

I don't think that the led in the turq ARC-AAA is exactly the same color as the green traffic LED. It is fairly close, IMO though. It looks to be a little more blue than the traffic green is.

I have a CMG Infinity that I bought as 'turquoise' which has less blue than this ARC. This ARC is actually closer to 'turquoise' than I thought it would be.

Having said all that, I really like the light. It is very bright! Far brighter than my white ARC-AAA. While it has some of the expected 'ringyness', there are no real holes or voids in the beam. Beam quality wise they look very much like the shots posted by djpark on the preceding page of this thread. The corona is much brighter than that of my white ARC-AAA, again, very much like djpark's excellent beam-shots.

As I've said in other posts, I really like the greenish lights because they are ~70% brighter than their white counterparts at the same power consumption, and they get another bump up because the human eye is so much more sensitive to green light. I always grab green unless I know I'll need color recognition. This little light is very powerful. I have seen other posts like Lebkuecher's where folks talk about EDCing turq AAAs or how they use them camping because they're so bright. That's why I wanted to get this one to add to my other greens.

If you are looking for an exact match to a traffic green, IMO this is not quite it. It's not way, way far off, though. If you just like greens, and/or blue-greens in lights, I'd say snap one right up 'cause you'll probably like it. Performance wise, it puts the white ARC-AAA in the dust.

Out of curiosity, why are you looking for the EV? Any special reason? I think I mentioned earlier that if ARC offered a straight green AAA that I'd buy one of those, too. What's your reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.