Advance Auto Parts "Task Force 2C"

sims2k

Enlightened
Has anyone actually replaced the stock emitter with the SSC P4 Z-LED emitter ? Just wondering if it would enhance the throw of this light.

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
well it seems to me that someone tested the current to be 900+ ma on this light.

Since the SSC is going to put out twice as much light at the same current then I would say YES to more throw.
Maybe not a huge change in beam shape but more IS more, therefore it will go further.
I like the beam just the shape it is and wouldn't

I have actually found the AAP to be brighter (more throw, lots more)than my UF with a P4 Cree and 1 X 18650 when it has an L-Ion instead of alkies.

I know it may defeat the purpose of a AAP light by putting an L-Ion in it but give it a try and I assure you that you WILL be impressed.

I will update on the SSC mod when I get it.
Please hurry DX......

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
Will it be safe to put in Li-Ion batteries in the AAP2C ?

I have only used the C cells in it for less than a minute.

It has seen several hours of use with 1 Emoli and lots and lots of use with 1 X 18650 UF 2400 mah.

I haven't had any problems.

I JUST UPGRADED TO A SSC Z POWER WSO BIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE LIGHT WAS ORIGINALLY VERY BLUE-PURPLE AND HAD ROUGLY THE SAME SPOT AS MY CREE P4 UF LIGHT

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
Will it be safe to put in Li-Ion batteries in the AAP2C ?

I have only used the C cells in it for less than a minute.

It has seen several hours of use with 1 Emoli and lots and lots of use with 1 X 18650 UF 2400 mah.

I haven't had any problems.

I JUST UPGRADED TO A SSC Z POWER WSO BIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE LIGHT WAS ORIGINALLY VERY BLUE-PURPLE AND HAD ROUGLY THE SAME SPOT AS MY CREE P4 UF LIGHT

the UF Cree had drastically more spill even with the same output in the hotspot.

the AAP light now is MUCH whiter and will eclipse the Cree completely at 10 ft on a white wall.

again

originally the AAP and cree threw similar hotspots
originally the AAP was blue compared th the Cree
originally the AAP lost by a mile due to a similar hotspot but total lack of spill ( ONLY THE HOTSPOT AND NOTHING ELSE )

now with DX SSC WSO Z-LED

AAP hotspot looks at least twice as bright (higher lux due to beam shape)
and is MUCH MUCH whiter than the Cree light.

I'm still thinkin it is less useful for going for a walk or working up close due to the lack of spill.

THis really makes me want to slap a new LED in my Cree light.
Maybe a Q5.............. oh wait ! I got one for Christmas !!! :party:

Damn thing is SO big though, have to take a grinder to the star !!

oronocova

Enlightened
Hi,
AFAIK they have not be updated. I own two of these they are great lights. I have one swapped for a Q5 and one for a SSC. Be sure to get the emitter centered if you swap them, my SSC has an awesome beam but the Q5 is a little off (still as bright or brighter than the SSC just ugly beam.) I run them with AA eneloops in AA-C converters.
I bought my father in law the lowes cree, but if you can do the swap yourself I think the AAP light is a better deal.
-Jon

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is most interesting as I love the 2xC form factor.

A P4 mod with NiMh cells must be awesome.

Alkalines are very bright also but drop quicker.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I have both my TaskForce Crees in the body of the AAP3W and put the guts of the AAP3W in the body of the Taskforce. Right now there is no reason other than the Body to get these with the TaskForce Cree out there. I wish they would update them though.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Here on the Professional's Favorite website they still still state that it is Luxeon.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a AAP3W converted to SSC P4, not sure what bin.

It's brighter than stock, maybe by 30% if I were to guess. Hard to detect and only obvious on a white wall.

I used the new LSD Accupower Evolution C cells.

All in all Seoul is a good change but doesn't generate a 'wow' factor versus the stock Lumileds.

The other thing is, Seoul P4 doesn't run on Alkalines at 1.15V. Doesn't even cut on. While Lumileds 3W runs, although you can see they are dying.

I wonder what the difference in run-time will be.

Of course the P4 mod kills Fenix L2D.

Last edited:

SASoCom

Newly Enlightened
Here in Southern California we don't have any Advanced Auto Parts stores. We have a Lowes in Redlands Calif. that had a rack of 7 Taskforce 2c cree 60X.Now they have 6 left. Can't wait for it to get dark. From the reviews sounds like an awesome light.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in Southern California we don't have any Advanced Auto Parts stores. We have a Lowes in Redlands Calif. that had a rack of 7 Taskforce 2c cree 60X.Now they have 6 left. Can't wait for it to get dark. From the reviews sounds like an awesome light.

You only bought 1? Honestly :)

If you think it's impressive stock, put a 18650 and Q5 in. It is truly awesome like that.

timbo114

Enlightened
Bought 2 of the AAP version ($4.95 each - on clearance)
and 1 of the Lowes TF version ($24.85)

Swapped the guts and lens from the TF into the colder AAP.

I tried all 3 lenses to build the perfect beam.

Lenses ARE different where the lens meets the emitter face.
CREE lens has a wider opening, with a more flat and pronounced shoulder at the emitter.
So I HAD to keep that lens with the larger Cree die (it's on a white star).
Popped in a AW 18650 w/spacer ... WOW!
Not a bad lego project.;)