Advice for AAA keychain light for staff

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an SSC and a Cree version, which one do you recommend? A lot of reviews for the SSC but not the Cree on DX.

Funny I asked the same question on another thread. The Cree version cost more. The beam shots posted on their website show the Cree version to be a better light. I ordered the Cree version before finding out there is a SSC version also.

nuron

Newly Enlightened
Hm, the Cree has a longer run time also, I don't see what's not to like. Weird how people bought the SSC more though.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

The $15 Fenix EO1 is at the high end but not out of reach. Besides price, I'm concerned about output. $10 would be better.

Thanks again,
Dave

Hi there Dave, then this previous recommendation further up the thread would suit you down to a T ($8.99 shipped)

I'd get this since runtimes arent an issue, the blurb stating that its 80 lumens would be plenty bright!

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's an SSC and a Cree version, which one do you recommend? A lot of reviews for the SSC but not the Cree on DX.

SSC sounds interesting. Is there a link?

Dude, that's a good-looking light for the price.

Yeah I was thinking about one for my personal keychain light. I think Marduke recommended it a while back. Unfortunately they're out of stock. Probably because it's a heck of a deal if there's really an R2 in there.:sigh:

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened
Dorcy Single AAA

I'll probably get blasted for posting this, but here it goes anyway...

Dorcy AAA Torch - $6.99 through dorcy direct w/free shipping
Handy, everyday, back twisty (but with pressure becomes useful as a make-shift tac) water resistant flashlight that uses a single AAA battery. Produces a nice, slightly purple tinged white circular spot. I have one and use it almost every day, whether at home or at work.

https://www.dorcydirect.com/p-145-41-4224-1aaa-led-flashlight.aspx

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm going to test a few out and see what I like.

I ordered the Deal Extreme Cree AAA, Streamlight Microstream, Fenix EO1.

I appreciate the help and will post a follow up.

Have a great week.
Dave

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I ordered the Deal Extreme Cree AAA, Streamlight Microstream, Fenix EO1.
I appreciate the help and will post a follow up.
I would have +1'd on the SL Microstream. A great light for the money, and from what I read, better tint than the E01 perhaps? Better throw for sure. I'm interested to see how the E01 matches up to the SL with your intended use.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your use and cost considerations, my vote goes to the Microstream, too.

There was a dealer here who at one time was selling them for $11.95 shipped. Sorry, I don't remember who it was, but any of the retailers that carry them should be willing to offer you a discount for a large purchase.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Aloha,

The Microstream arrived today. It's a very slick light with plenty of output for my needs. The damn thing is brighter than my original AA Fenix.

But it's not going to work because it's too long for the keychain. Plus, it does not have a good way of hooking to a split ring besides attaching to the pocket clip.

I think it's better suited for cliping to a pocket since it has a nice pocket clip on it.

I'm waiting for the DX AAA to arrive and will post an update. I hope it works because I never ordered the Fenix AAA because I was afraid the output was too low.

Thanks,
Dave

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE

The Deal Extreme TANK007 TK-702 Cree P4-WB 80-Lumen LED arrived this week after about a month on order.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19622

Unfortunately, it's not the answer either. For $9 it's a good light. The Streamlight is definately a much better light. I think I paid around $15 for the Streamlight. The color is not as white as the Streamlight and the hot spot is not as wide as the Streamlight. The Streamlight is perfect for picking out spots on the carpet and this little DX just doesn't cut it for that purpose. But, as mentioned earlier the Streamlight is not really suited to be a keychain light.

I just ordered the other version of the light from DX with a different LED to see if that improves it with a brighter white and wider hot spot.
Emitter Brand/Type:Seoul Semiconductors SSCEmitter BIN:SSC 42180-U (U-BIN)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18630

I'm really waiting for the Draco size light with similar output to come down in the sub $10 range. I'm guessing this will be in 5 years?

Aloha,
DF

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aloha,

The Microstream arrived today. It's a very slick light with plenty of output for my needs. The damn thing is brighter than my original AA Fenix.

But it's not going to work because it's too long for the keychain. Plus, it does not have a good way of hooking to a split ring besides attaching to the pocket clip.

I think it's better suited for cliping to a pocket since it has a nice pocket clip on it.

I'm waiting for the DX AAA to arrive and will post an update. I hope it works because I never ordered the Fenix AAA because I was afraid the output was too low.

Thanks,
Dave

You have been through enough:eek:,
I strongly suggest the Fenix E01.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Haahaa, yes you are probably right but the hunt is the fun part.

Can someone who has both the Streamlight Microstream (1AAA) and Fenix EO1 compare in beam output. The Microstream has a perfect beam/lumens for my needs. Is the EO1 similar or noticeably less?

Thanks,
Dave

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Can someone who has both the Streamlight Microstream (1AAA) and Fenix EO1 compare in beam output. The Microstream has a perfect beam/lumens for my needs. Is the EO1 similar or noticeably less?
I only have the MS but I've read quite a bit about the E01 here. From what I gather:

Microstream:
  • Double the output
  • Much better throw
  • Much better tint
E01:
  • Much floodier
  • ~10x the runtime?

Latest posts