Ahhhhh come on! Is there NO love for Sunwayman ?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I love their lights, but hate their name. I currently have 3 of their lights and there are a few others I intend to acquire as well. The quality of the lights allows me to easily overlook the name. Two thumbs up from me. :twothumbs
+1

Had no intention of even looking at them but the V10R Ti is one of my favorite lights ever.
No love here. I will never consider sunwayman because of the completely ridiculous retarded name.......... I might would have given Sunway a chance, but not Sunwayman. There's a bunch of quality off-shore lights being made now, but these are out of the question for me.
That makes about as much sense as being knocked out by a girl but refusing to give her the time of day because you don't like her name. The Chinese makers come up with stupid spellings and stupid names, but I place the naming of the light last in line when determining what lights to buy. I suppose you'd buy one sight unseen if it said something smart like Surefire?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, agree about the dopiness of the name, but c'mon, it's a flashlight, not a new purse :)

I have a V10R and love everything about it -- except the beam, which has by far the most distracting ring I've ever seen, even in a dark craggy cave it was distracting (I am *not* a white wall hunter, and usually don't care about ringiness). Looking to see if I can exchange, since this doesn't seem to be the norm

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will buy Surefire without question if it is a light I want and can afford because of the long time company history of US made quality. Sunwayman does not compare to Surefire, sorry if that offends anyone. As far as utility goes, you are right in saying that a name should not matter. To me, lights are a hobby and not having a goofy name is important. Try telling a teenager they dont need high priced name brand clothing and the cheap stuff is just as good......... Everybody has there own taste, and I respect that.

+1

That makes about as much sense as being knocked out by a girl but refusing to give her the time of day because you don't like her name. The Chinese makers come up with stupid spellings and stupid names, but I place the naming of the light last in line when determining what lights to buy. I suppose you'd buy one sight unseen if it said something smart like Surefire?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a non-flashoholic person asked me "hey that things bright what kind of light is that?", in all honesty, no joking, I would almost be embarrased to tell them "oh it a Sunwayman". Just saying the name to someone is embarraasing, let alone having it plastered across the light itself.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, agree about the dopiness of the name, but c'mon, it's a flashlight, not a new purse :)

I have a V10R and love everything about it -- except the beam, which has by far the most distracting ring I've ever seen, even in a dark craggy cave it was distracting (I am *not* a white wall hunter, and usually don't care about ringiness). Looking to see if I can exchange, since this doesn't seem to be the norm

I have a V10R Ti, and although the beam isnt perfect, i can say it doesnt have any horribly distracting ring. and im kind of a snob when it comes to ringy beams too. maybe theres something wrong with your reflector or emitter placement?

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

Wow! You guys are killing me! I don't mind the name at all, in fact, I think it's kinda cool (in a goofy sort of WAY!).

Regards,
SixCats!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a V10R Ti, and although the beam isnt perfect, i can say it doesnt have any horribly distracting ring. and im kind of a snob when it comes to ringy beams too. maybe theres something wrong with your reflector or emitter placement?

That's as good an explanation as any. I asked for an RMA and an exchange on it. If yours isn't that bad and you're usually critical of ringy beams, you might get physically nauseous if you saw mine -- on high, a retina-searing outer ring, encircling an extremely dark spot.

Napalm

Enlightened

I believe that it's the XP-G that tends to do that regardless of brand/model.

Nap.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Will buy Surefire without question if it is a light I want and can afford because of the long time company history of US made quality. Sunwayman does not compare to Surefire, sorry if that offends anyone. As far as utility goes, you are right in saying that a name should not matter. To me, lights are a hobby and not having a goofy name is important. Try telling a teenager they dont need high priced name brand clothing and the cheap stuff is just as good......... Everybody has there own taste, and I respect that.
The teenager thing makes no sense at all and your assumption that one of the lights that's taken CPF by storm is nowhere near as good as a Surefire suggests that you choose by emotion and not on merit. Surefire has a great reputation, is made in the U.S., and has a cool name?!? Not sure really how cool the name Surefire would sound if it was brand new to all of us and didn't have it's international reputation already, but a lot of savvy flashaholics have found this to be one great company making a great light which I find to be very hard to put down.

flame2000

Enlightened
Sunwayman got many cool looking lights. I've handled a M10A and the build quality is really good. I'll ranked them 1 up above the other popular Chinese brands of lights.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never said that Sunwayman did not make good lights. Well see how good a reputation they build over the long haul. Until then, my Surefire's and Malkoff's will keep my flashaholism more than satisfied.

The teenager thing makes no sense at all and your assumption that one of the lights that's taken CPF by storm is nowhere near as good as a Surefire suggests that you choose by emotion and not on merit. Surefire has a great reputation, is made in the U.S., and has a cool name?!? Not sure really how cool the name Surefire would sound if it was brand new to all of us and didn't have it's international reputation already, but a lot of savvy flashaholics have found this to be one great company making a great light which I find to be very hard to put down.

Lighteous

Enlightened
I have a SWM V10R Ti and I have no complaints. It feels very well designed and built and performs as advertised. I did my due diligence on CPF before parting with $135 for this light and found an abundance of praise for not only this model but for SWM generally. I would have no hesistation about purchasing other Sunwayman lights.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Batman :fail:

Spiderman :sick2:

Superman :twak:

No its Sunwayman, all the way for me, the great Chinese Superhero. :kiss:

Armed with 3 Ti V10Rs, Sunwayman and I rule the Universe together. :buddies: :drunk:

richpalm

Banned
I don't like the name change either... wonder what brought that on? SunwayLED sounds a lot more professional.

I have an M40C and it's a beautiful light-super tint on its MC-E.

Rich

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the name change either... wonder what brought that on? SunwayLED sounds a lot more professional.

I have an M40C and it's a beautiful light-super tint on its MC-E.

Rich

Someone speculated here that there was another company, unrelated to flashlights, called sunywayled, so that brought about the name change. I have never been able to verify this but it sounds like a legitimate theory.

Napalm

Enlightened
Can someone explain to me why "Leatherman" is cool but "Sunwayman" is not?

nap. :shrug:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Batman :fail:

Spiderman :sick2:

Superman :twak:

No its Sunwayman, all the way for me, the great Chinese Superhero. :kiss:

Armed with 3 Ti V10Rs, Sunwayman and I rule the Universe together. :buddies: :drunk:
crackup.gif

Hmmm, food for thought. The reason is that Leatherman has become a word associated with a product we know and trust and as such, Sunwayman, while facing some of the same hurdles before general acceptance of the odd name that Tim Leatherman did, will eventually be judged on the product and not the name.

Last edited:

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I'm eagerly waiting the M40A revision with the XM-L. Anyone know when it's going to land in the US?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those 2 names are not even in the same league IMO. What both of these products have in common, leatherman and sunwayman, is that they are targeted for a specific market, the US market. Although leatherman may have sounded strange at first, that doesn't matter, cause when it comes down to it, the name still sounds American, not to mention the fact that it was the mans last name, so I believe that is another legit reason for that particular name being used.

Sunywayman on the other hand, is specifically targeted for the US market with their products, and, please I don't mean any offense to anyone, but the name Sunwayman just screams "cheap Chinese junk", espically to the average Joe who doesn't know that the company makes a quality product. Now I know that their products don't fall under this category, but the average non-flashaholic Joe doesn't know this, and like it or not, a products name matters, no matter how good that product might be. A company could make the most delicious food ever, but if "Made by the Raw Sewage Company Inc" was on the label, that product would undoubtedly suffer in sales, not due to the product inside, but by the name itself. Sounds stupid but I believe it to be true. I feel this same analogy applies the the Sunwayman company. As it has been said a million times already, the name change to sunwayman was a very poor decision, and I believe whoever made that decision didn't have an understanding of how us American people see products and how we are drawn into buying them from good advertising. The Chinese have made tremendous leaps and bounds in the quality of their products in the last decade, but the trademark "Made in China" still carries that stigma of junk, unfairly so, and I believe that it will still take many years for that to dissipate, just as it did with the Japanese. Just my 2 cents.