• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph LE Question

Scottiver

Enlightened
I have a question about Aleph light engines. I have been wanting to aquire an Aleph 1 flashlight and thought that I would be able to use either a one or two battery configuration interchangeably. But after doing some research it looks like the LE's are designed for one or the other but not both. Is this correct? What would happen if you put a head with a DB917 LE on a one cell pack and what would happpen if you put a NG750 one a two cell pack?

I guess I don't understand it because all my Surefire E series led lights can be used on one or two cell packs interchageably with no problem at all. Just dimmer on the one cell pack.
Thanks

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The NG on 2x123 will let the magic smoke out.

The DB on 1x123 will be in direct drive and quite dim.

The Wiz2 converter can run on 3-6V IIRC, but lately Don is a bit shy on the 6V to those converters. It was a long time ago and my memory is failing (maybe that's because it is 03:20 am here).

The Wiz1 converter sure works, but the efficiency is not that great and it seems to be a PITA to install in an LE.

bernie

Scottiver

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply,
Not sure what you mean by "let the magic smoke out", is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is it going to be "awesomely bright" or just explode?
You can wait til you're awake to answer.
Thanks

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
Magic smoke is a bad thing...meaning the LED will light no more.

If you plan on using a RCR123a or anything bigger (14500/17670/18650 etc.) then a DB is your best bet. As long as the voltage of the battery (3.7v) is higher than the Vin of the LED (usually mid to low 3v's), the DB will be doing its job. You can also use 2+ primaries or 2+ rechargeables.

As Kiessling stated, on a primary 123, the DB will be in Direct Drive and not very bright. But with a 3.7v rechargeable, it should go into regulation and be very bright (depending on the current of the converter)

Last edited:

Scottiver

Enlightened
Somehow I didn't think that "magic smoke" would be a good thing. But it kinda sounded good as in: "that light is smokin' bright"
Thank for your help.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Oh sorry ... no ... magic smoke means a cooked and thus destroyed converter :green:

About 1x123 and 2x123 ... a problem I am having, too ... we need a statement of the master Don or the master dat2zip about the current versions of the Wiz2 driver if they can make it.
IIRC there have been issues with some HD45 lights using that driver on 2x123 and a dying converter.

So ... to sum it up:

1x123 and 1xLi-Ion --> NG or Wiz2
1-3xLi-Ion and 2-4x123 --> DB
1x123, 2x123 and 1xLi-Ion --> Maybe Wiz2, but you'll have to check with someone who really knows the stuff and doesn't just regurgutate like me.

bernie