Alert: Begin Stocking Up On Toilet Paper

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has gone too far.

Why worry about tp, when a much bigger waste problem is all of the extraneous, frustrating packaging that comes with everything! Think about it, because of one or two isolated acts of crazy by a few wacko's (remember the poisoned aspirin from the 80 or 90's), the rest of the country has to put up with increasingly frustrating packaging, which is a much bigger waste than tp (because, newsflash, trees do this thing they call GROWING, and it happens all the time), and none of it is biodegradable.

If they were truly worried about these problems, they would focus on the big problems first (extraneous, wasteful packing materials), instead of trying to force idiotic change upon the civilized world.

Dumb***'s. What is the world coming to?

And they can have my tp and incandescent bulbs when they take them from my cold, dead hands (just remember to compost the tp, and recycle the bulbs)... And I plan to live into my 90's...

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Can't disagree with you on the wasteful packaging that is present but I don't mind the stuff that safeguards peoples health with OTC medicines.

As for the forests, yes they do regrow but when you clear cut, you remove almost all of the debris that is supposed to decompose and turn back into nourishing soil so the trees can regrow and sustain wildlife and biodiversity.

Eat your fiber as Linger suggests and Hooked on Fenix, quite squeezing my Charmin:green:!

Waste is waste, "waste not, want not", source unknown and or variable.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Try to imagine how many rolls of luscious, Ultra Soft Charmin (perhaps some in this thread need the Ultra Strong Charmin) could have been made from all the trees that have been burning out of control in western USA this last year...mostly from the cooling waters in the Pacific, but also because practical logging has been likewise attacked, and all those smaller, pre-Smokey The Bear--"Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires" era--'natural fires' have been immediately prevented by more government federal policies thinking they know best.

OK, don't allow any small fires, logging and reseeding, to thin out the aging forests and brush, instead let mother nature burn it all down and pollute the air 1,000 times more than a city full of gas guzzlers. Smart. Very smart. Nothing wrong with sensible environmentalism, but morons are in charge...and they are after your butt wipes.

Last edited:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Can't disagree with you either Lux, practical logging is a good thing in my book and total fire suppression is unhealthy as well. Forests are supposed to clean themselves with fire and some forests, trees, and wildflowers won't grow without fire. Over extinguishing has lead to excess fuel which burns too hot and sterilizes the forest floor, killing all of the "good" and "bad" bacteria.

My next question is, why do we have to bleach toilet paper white and use all of those seemingly unnecessary chemicals, I don't think that its due to sanitary concerns because isn't the pulp boiled in a mash prior to forming the main rolls? When I can't drink out of a stream due to chemical pollution I don't really want to be around, yeah, I do filter my water when backpacking but every now and then I'll sneak a nip or two from a trusted source.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do some research on the corporations that are gaining profits and leaving stumps and toxic stew for us & our children to deal with:

Where does paper come from?
http://www.sundancechannel.com/videos/230335318

If you can find the entire episode it covers the bleaching process and the entire tree to napkin process

So much of conservation is just common sense stuff that would cut into profits for the corporations...

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm,

why not spend the money they are wasting on this "save the trees" campaign, and use it to research how to make recycled tp softer. that way, when they demand that people stop using regular tp, they actually have a viable alternative to offer.

Crenshaw

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Do some research on the corporations that are gaining profits and leaving stumps and toxic stew for us & our children to deal with:

Where does paper come from?
http://www.sundancechannel.com/videos/230335318

If you can find the entire episode it covers the bleaching process and the entire tree to napkin process

So much of conservation is just common sense stuff that would cut into profits for the corporations...

I suspect that bleaching is a historical preference for wanting to contrast ink on white paper, white representing something clean, not wanting colors that can sometimes stain, puritanical roots, etc.

I no longer care about bleaching. it is always worth seeing the full impact of products we use and examine if things can be done better. As far as the Sundance channel video trying to discuss protecting "old growth" forests, the "TP Terrorists" will not want anyone to think for themselves about the massive and absolute deforestation from fires with their catastrophic pollution and resulting desolation. This seems to be their preferred alternative to my Ultra Soft Charmin. I don't see any King Pines in that photo. Smart. Very smart.

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Dang it! What the heck do they want us to wipe with? 1 ply? :banghead: I'd rather use 100 grit sand paper than that! :ohgeez: This is America and we love our everyday conveniences and we won't let anyone take them away. Haha. Im with Lux. I think I'll be stocking up.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is like the stuff in Japan...ugh. The facial tissue and flushable ones are far from "durable" Over thjere we'd use about 2.5X more and it costs more. Double lose.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, a corporation is only interested in profit, at any expense whether it be the public, society, the environment, little old ladies or kittens.

If things are going to change it will be because A) the government clamps down with new regulations or B) the consumers demand change and vote for it with their dollars.

A great documentary on this is "The Corporation"
http://all.gloria.tv/?media=29369

Decent average people need to get together and demand some protection, the sooner the better

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Environmentalist?" I'd equate that title to someone with a propensity for illogical assumptions based on emotion, not facts.

It's a bunch of nonsense.

There's more forest in the U.S. than there was 100 years ago.

I think it's a dying grasp on a topic that his one foot in the grave: That of the false environmental movement. It's not for the environment, it's for the big money generated by a few to control everyone else. The general public is waking up and starting to realize that it's all a bunch of crap.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
lol, a corporation is only interested in profit, at any expense whether it be the public, society, the environment, little old ladies or kittens.

If things are going to change it will be because A) the government clamps down with new regulations or B) the consumers demand change and vote for it with their dollars.

A great documentary on this is "The Corporation"
http://all.gloria.tv/?media=29369

Decent average people need to get together and demand some protection, the sooner the better

Bugsy, God Bless Ya, but you gotta get out more. You do realize that it is possible to practice responsible logging/harvesting right? You have heard of the FSC, right? You do realize that most forests in USA and Europe are FSC compliant, right?

You did take the time to verify that Charmin received the top toilet paper rating from the World Wildlife Fund, correct?
Each year, WWF rates the big toilet tissue manufacturers on a number of different factors including environmental responsibility, recycled content, energy efficiency and wood sources. Top in the 2006 survey was SCA Hygiene (Svenska Cellulosa on our table), makers of Velvet, Naturelle and now the Charmin and Bounty brands.
The key is using intelligent environmental stewardship, not blind superficial conformity.

Your cute Canadian video clip on the Catholic website fails to reconcile the monumental gifts to humanity by evil capitalists such as Carnegie, Warren Buffet, Bloomberg, Bill & Melinda gates, Paul Newman, Getty, Mellon, Rockefellers, Vanderbuilts, Howard Hughes, Li Ka Shing, Ford, Wood Johnson, Kellog, Lilly, Pew, Wallenberg, Hewlett, Packard, Wosniak, Drexel, Disney, Johns Hopkins, etc. etc.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm,

why not spend the money they are wasting on this "save the trees" campaign, and use it to research how to make recycled tp softer. that way, when they demand that people stop using regular tp, they actually have a viable alternative to offer.

Crenshaw

+1...quit whining and give us VIABLE Solutions!!!

Scottiver

Enlightened
Never liked the soft stuff anyway. You get 1/4 the number of sheets on a roll, and it breaks apart when you wet it (I'll leave it to the reader's imagination why wetting and wiping is better than just wiping). I personally like the idea of bidets. Let the bidet do the heavy cleaning, and then just use a few sheets of TP to dry everything off. Too bad they haven't caught on in the states so far.

That's some sage advice from someone from Flushing, NY :grin2:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That's some sage advice from someone from Flushing, NY :grin2:
I didn't even realize how my location neatly tied in with this thread's topic until now. :laughing: :crackup:

And the funny thing is the history behind the name really does have to do with toilets. On some early maps the area which became Flushing was labeled "NO FLUSHING" on account of the area being mostly swamp land. Part of the name stuck when the area was later developed. I looked without success for a link about this, but it's what I remember reading in the papers a long time ago.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure where the article gets the comment about Europe using tissue from "recycled paper goods". You can buy that over here but it's pretty much one choice out of the 20 or so brands on the shelves. Probably the same in the U.S.
Mind you, in some countries you have to get thin single ply. I commented on the quality of the paper in the loo once when staying at an old friends house in Venice, Italy and he said that the sewer pipes are so small and antiquated that if you don't use single ply, they get bunged up and you have to pay hundreds for someone to come around and clear it.