Amber HDS?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Amber, but I also like Red. Therefore I have a nice Aviator collection :grin2:. Green and Blue is more just for fun. But the Surefire Yellow - Green is a nice color. Maybe I need the same with HDS lights:
DBXd89D.jpg

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
Stupid question, but will these be driven to 180-200 lumens or will it be more of a close range light?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should be 6-8 Hogo weeks... I'm hoping sooner but at least it isn't Henry weeks.
Monochromatic don't get rated in lumens, but just like the Dark Adaption Red, Hunter Green, and Forensic Blue, these will be bright.

calypso699

Newly Enlightened
Should be 6-8 Hogo weeks... I'm hoping sooner but at least it isn't Henry weeks.
Monochromatic don't get rated in lumens, but just like the Dark Adaption Red, Hunter Green, and Forensic Blue, these will be bright.

Thanks Dan. I'd be in for one of these.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
At what peak wavelength are the 4 colored Versions rated? I did not find this information on the HDS website... (or I was to stupid).

Current Dark Adaption Red is 660nm... same as the old Hyper Red limited run. I don't know the Hunter Green or Forensic Blue. I listed the Amber above.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the dark adaption red and hyper red using the same emitters now?

No. When the group buy for the Hyper Red occurred, HDS was using a different emitter that wasn't so... red.
When HDS ran out of those, Henry switched to a third emitter but with the same wavelength as the Hyper Red, i.e. 660nm

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the Hunter Green or Forensic Blue. I listed the Amber above.
Thanks for that information.
At least the wavelength for green would be interesting. The yellow green of the Surefire Aviator is rated at 568nm, and I like the color a lot. Therefore I ask. Also this yellow-green works good at night and preseves night adaption (at least if the light level is not too bright) and you can read maps. Only the green parts are "invisible", but you see all marks, roads, the lines representing the different height,...
For the blue one, I would expect something around 450nm.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
At least the wavelength for green would be interesting. The yellow green of the Surefire Aviator is rated at 568nm, and I like the color a lot. Therefore I ask. Also this yellow-green works good at night and preseves night adaption (at least if the light level is not too bright) and you can read maps.

Another vote for yellow-green, it's easy on the eyes and better depth perception versus red.

While we're at it, let's get an HDS offering for each color of the rainbow (just kiddin'). ;)

As an alternative, has HDS ever considered offering colored and flood filters / diffusers, similar to what SF used to offer for 1" bezels? It would be cool to have red, blue, yellow-green, and amber as options, and a flood-style diffuser, too. Plus, it would allow you to keep the existing white output if needed.

archimedes

Flashaholic
My favorite low light color is cyan.

And for filters, the old (discontinued versions) slip-on ones from SureFire work(ed) perfectly.

kj2

Flashaholic
1: WarriorOfLight
2: CRKDMike
3: AndyF
4: TheJlew85
5: kj2
6: Hogo
7: Jkolmo
8: Calypso699
9: Sledhead
10: Jarobi
11:
12:

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already ordered the amber emitters.
had not thought about colored filters as I never felt they worked well with LEDs.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the amber LED work properly with the pumpkin spice diffuse reflector coating?. Or does it require white light to charge?.
I tried the pumpkin spice with my Amber Surefire Aviator. The reflector was not "charged" with Amber, also not with Red or Yellow-Green. Only my Blue Aviator was able to Charge the reflector.
Therefore I would not expect it will work.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the amber LED work properly with the pumpkin spice diffuse reflector coating?. Or does it require white light to charge?.

We don't have any more of the GITD reflectors at HDS and the Amber lights are not built yet so testing this is impossible right now.
My best wild *** guess would be... rum, followed by a "probable not well if at all".