American horsepower - .454, .460 or .500?

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your right.. he definitely had his hard locked... not shock absorption.

Notice the third video "added after you looked"... the camera is on the butt almost as much as the gun!

Here the .44mag looks like no big deal....... seems to get the extra distance the .460 may be manageable.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was quite interesting.... especially that the 200gr SST had exceptional penetration "to plank 15 I think".

That test did not monitor trajectory, distance after traveling 150 yards through the air, and speed but it was quite interesting to see how the blunt nose bullets did just as good a penetration as long as the gr was more.

Crap... look at the Flame coming out of this thing!

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Did you notice too that there was less felt recoil for both of them when shooting one handed? I've never been a great shot, but I shoot better one handed than with two.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
Once again I must provide a correction to my previous posts, #'s 83 and 84, in which I refer to Mr. Seyfried's modified Ruger Bisley as a "#13 Keith" or a "Keith #13" when in reality the correct name for this handgun is the Seyfried #13. It is chambered in .475 Linebaugh. My apologies to all who may have been misled. For a photo of this beautiful handgun, you can find it in Hamilton Bowen's book "The Custom Revolver".

WebWalker

Banned
Fun thread to read. Hope it's not too late to contribute.
I agree with Hamilton-Felix - "The shape of that big revolver, grip design, bore height above shooter's hand, and more will make a difference."
and weight too
Back in our really active shooting days (80's) my son shot the 44mag (Dan Wesson VH Pistol Pack) and 7mm BR XP100 in IHMSA competitions (International Handgun Metallic Silhoutte Association). That was five targets (steel targets you have to knock down) each at 50, 100, 150 & 200 meters. Run through course twice - 40 targets.
I helped develop the loads and click tables for the various distances. DW was iron sites and XP100 was scoped.
I'm older now and have started recording my history. I did a chapter on the DW 44mag, my son and recoil. He was 12 when I bought him the Pistol Pack.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Deer-hunting season :bumpit:

I just picked up some .45 Colt LeverEvolution ammo for my Ruger .454 revolver - when I'm out hunting this fall, I'll be carrying this as an 'opportunity' deer gun during the day when I won't have my '06 with me. :devil:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Deer-hunting season :bumpit:

I just picked up some .45 Colt LeverEvolution ammo for my Ruger .454 revolver - when I'm out hunting this fall, I'll be carrying this as an 'opportunity' deer gun during the day when I won't have my '06 with me. :devil:

I didn't know you had a Ruger 454. What will the ballistics OTF (LOL) be with the Lever Evolution ammo? Seriously. I used to chronograph most of my ammo. Never had a handgun larger than 44 Mag (recently stolen).

Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I didn't know you had a Ruger 454. What will the ballistics OTF (LOL) be with the Lever Evolution ammo? Seriously. I used to chronograph most of my ammo. Never had a handgun larger than 44 Mag (recently stolen).
Well, I don't chronograph anything anymore (just not enough time), but I'm content with what Hornady claims for their .45 Colt ammo from a 4.5" barrel, as my Ruger has a 7.5" barrel.

With respect to trajectory, I'm expecting something like:
  • +1" @ 25 yds
  • 0 @ 50 yds (~400 ft-lbs)
  • -10.5" @ 100 yds. (~350 ft-lbs)
The Hornady LeverEvolution .45 Colt, another win for the .454 chambering, as I have no wish to whack a deer with my 360-grain CorBons. :poof:

When Ruger came out with this fine chambering, I sold off my S&W .44 Mag.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Well, I don't chronograph anything anymore (just not enough time), but I'm content with what Hornady claims for their .45 Colt ammo from a 4.5" barrel, as my Ruger has a 7.5" barrel.

With respect to trajectory, I'm expecting something like:
  • +1" @ 25 yds
  • 0 @ 50 yds (~400 ft-lbs)
  • -10.5" @ 100 yds. (~350 ft-lbs)
The Hornady LeverEvolution .45 Colt, another win for the .454 chambering, as I have no wish to whack a deer with my 360-grain CorBons. :poof:

When Ruger came out with this fine chambering, I sold off my S&W .44 Mag.
The .454 is a great performer but while I had mine I still wanted to keep the Super Redhawk. If I ever get around to a .460 V though it's possible I'd be sending the .44 down the road too.

While I felt okay with the .44 Mag in black bear country I would feel much better with the extra horsepower of the .460 as we get more and more grizzly's showing up in the area.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My brass from the most recent outing a couple of weeks ago. I fired the following loads....

Loaded 500 and 9mm at the top for size reference.
500SWammopic.jpg

Magtech 325gr @ 1801fps (30) rounds)
Magtech 400gr @ 1608fps (20 rounds)
Corbon 500gr @ 1500fps (10 rounds)
Handload 440gr HC @ 1692fps (20 rounds)

The 325's are always decent to shoot.
The 400's always feels stout.

I couldn't tell which was worse between my hand loads and the Cor-bon Hunter but I'm leaning toward the Cor-bon. With the handloads and lighter bullets there's more burning powder to work the muzzle brake. To be perfectly honest, these aren't very much fun to shoot. I was actually sore in my forearm the next day. :laughing:

Also, we shot "long range" with the Magtech loads at a 10" steel plate at 200 yards. Off the bench it was surprisingly easy to hit (4 out of 5). Offhand was a real challenge and it was more like 1 hit in 3. Two liter Coke bottles at 100 yards were the most fun and I was hitting those about 50/50 offhand. I've got about 5 hours of video footage to sort through but eventually I'll post some of the 500s&w shooting.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My brass from the most recent outing a couple of weeks ago. I fired the following loads....

Loaded 500 and 9mm at the top for size reference.
500SWammopic.jpg

Magtech 325gr @ 1801fps (30) rounds)
Magtech 400gr @ 1608fps (20 rounds)
Corbon 500gr @ 1500fps (10 rounds)
Handload 440gr HC @ 1692fps (20 rounds)

The 325's are always decent to shoot.
The 400's always feels stout.

I couldn't tell which was worse between my hand loads and the Cor-bon Hunter but I'm leaning toward the Cor-bon. With the handloads and lighter bullets there's more burning powder to work the muzzle brake. To be perfectly honest, these aren't very much fun to shoot. I was actually sore in my forearm the next day. :laughing:

Also, we shot "long range" with the Magtech loads at a 10" steel plate at 200 yards. Off the bench it was surprisingly easy to hit (4 out of 5). Offhand was a real challenge and it was more like 1 hit in 3. Two liter Coke bottles at 100 yards were the most fun and I was hitting those about 50/50 offhand. I've got about 5 hours of video footage to sort through but eventually I'll post some of the 500s&w shooting.
Before I even started reading I looked at the bag of empty shells and thought "That damn Patriot's pretty good to shoot that many rounds of .500 at one outing!" Just remembering the .454 it made my hand hurt seeing that bag of empty's!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ha! Not so sure about "good" but perhaps not thinking about how it would feel the next day. :duh2:

This video series of 600 yard rifle shooting is a bit off topic but this was the same shooting trip that the 500s&w footage is on. I've got a lot of editing work to do before it's ready though and several other projects in front of it. In any case, just thought I'd post these links for the shooters here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDm8jXYPkv8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dli5tErzr90&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwGBDPF46NQ&feature=related

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think I've finally overcome my concerns.
I went to a meet with some friends and found shooting the 45 and 44 magnum single handed no bug deal and a lot of fun.... I was actually pretty accurate.

My plan is to pick the .460 from Cabelas since I have about a thousand dollars to spend in points. I will get a nice variable power scope for it later.
I don't shoot much once I get s gun dialed in so I'm not worried about wrist fatigue anyway.

I will use it for deer and hog hunting ad a rifle replacement and set it for 150 yard's. Most Lilly...since 250 yards is a very long shot ....I figure I'm good for 200 yard's.

Of course ill have to have a little fun with it at the pistol competitions!

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I will use it for deer and hog hunting ad a rifle replacement and set it for 150 yard's. Most Lilly...since 250 yards is a very long shot ....I figure I'm good for 200 yard's.
Um, you really want to determine the highest point-of-impact above point-of aim (with shorter distances) with a 150-yd zero...

IMO that configuration may shoot too high at reasonably-close distances with a zero that far away.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep... Hornady already did the work for me!

With a stated muzzle velocity of 2,200 feet per second, the bullet sighted 1.9 inches high at 50 yards would be 2.4 inches high at 100 yards, dead point of aim at 150 yards and 6.3 inches low at 200 yards.