an ideal dog walking light

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same type of issue. I walk my dogs at night in (near) Seattle where it is likely to be dark and rainy. At times it seems it just eats headlight beams as if it was a black hole. The area around my house has
places where there are no sidewalks and we have to brave these stretches where you are basically forced to be on the road.

While I take lights with me, I wear a bright orange reflective safety vest. It has a 3" reflective strip around the mid-drift and 2" stripe around the shoulders.

The problem with lights are that you have to see/hear the threat and do something about it. W/o constaint reference, it is hard for the auto to get a clear picture of where you are. [edit - that is to say, just having the light blink on, then off, once or twice, the person in the auto has a harder time with depth perception and location so they may know something is around there, but not *where* exactly]

The vests are clasified by ANSI as class I, II and III with III being the most visible. My vest is a class II vest but if I had realized the III vests existed I would have gotten one of those.

www.galls.com
1595.jpg

Regarding the stigma of wearing a bright orange vest with big reflective strips -- I think the neighbors at first probably thought it a bit odd, but I suspect after seeing me head off in the night in the pitch black and rain I suspect they probably realize it makes sense. And if not, well, I'd still rather be alive than worry what they think.

Another type of marker that I have found works well is the Photon III Crystal w/the Rav'n crystals. I have a red one set on blink attached to the dog's collar. It's amazingly bright - the crystals work very well. Even though I use mine on my dog this should work well on your person as well. The Rav'n party light would also be good (RGB instead of single color) but I was being a bit conservative. (BTW, the batteries are pretty cheap if you buy them in quanity via mailorder. $.50 or less each.)

http://www.photonlight.com
ravn_floating_bevel.jpg

You can also find some pretty nice reflective collars, self lighted collars and reflective dog vests but I wouldn't count on them alone. I think the dog is too low, the reflective materials too weak or too small and the dog could often be at an angle that the material isn't toward the auto. I'd say a reflective device and a Photon wouldn't hurt tho.

Note, stay away from that silver powder looking reflective material -- it wears off easily and I don't think it works as well, either.

(This is one of the types we have. I got them at Petsmart but I couldn't find them on Petsmart's web page. Perhaps only at their brick and mortars). It's more striking in person that in this photo.
www.basspro.com
881-381-00.jpg

We also have one [similar to - older style] of these. I've posted some more pictures of this below. This light is good in that it is lighted and reflective. The downside can be coverage area depending on the size. Actually the one I have doesn't quite look like that, but the ones I've seen in the store still look the same. Not sure if maybe their picture here is bad or if they are changing styles.
radiofence.com
poly_collar_ani.gif

www.estellesreflectivewear.com
p1074753933.jpg

Let us know what you do.

Be safe,

-john

[edit - more pics added, below]
[edit - fixed up broken links]

Photon 3 Crystal in action
p3c-02-lit-160x120.jpg

Self lighted collar examined. Purchased at Petsmart
collaroff-160x120.jpg

Note, if I'm with my wife (so each takes one dog), I take a SF 10X. I find this is good because you can have a normal brightness, long life light or a VERY bright light if needed. However, the lack of a holster for this light is a serious drawback. For dog walking you want to be able to stow the light and untangle the dog or whatever. The light is also too big to bring if you are handling two dogs.

After trying random things, I think a clickie style light would be nice. Maybe an E2E w/clickie?

The SF A2 is also very intersting as you typically don't need a lot of light (especially when scooping from the middle of someone's yard!). If only someone would make a two stage clickie.

I'm also considering a headlamp, especially for those nights when I'm walking both dogs alone. I've been thinking about the Photon Fusion but haven't decided yet.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd said:
How about some glow in the dark paint?
Nerd,

I'm pretty sure the GID stuff won't be bright enough to warn cars. I suspect it would have about the same effect as having the same area painted white (better than black for sure).

-john

Last edited:

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note, Niterider makes a very expensive, but very spiffy LED bike tail light.

niterider.com

6374.jpg

While it certainly isn't worth the price, I've often considered getting some to mount on my vest -- the housing is just too spiffy.

-john

Last edited:

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by John N:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Nerd:
How about some glow in the dark paint?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nerd,

I'm pretty sure the GID stuff won't be bright enough to warn cars. I suspect it would have about the same effect as having the same area painted white (better than black for sure).

-john
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm sure they will take note of a green glowing object that is constantly moving. Though it won't be such a good idea, at least it can be added on to whatever lights he is carrying.

pal251

Newly Enlightened
No policeman is gonna arrest you for having a traffic cone. At the worst they will stop and prolly say good job. I know I wouldnt harass you if you were walking with a traiffc cone with your dog. As long as you are not shining the light into someones eyes while they are driving. Buy a traffic vest with some of those reflective strips. Get a stinger xt hp flashlight if you want , thats what I am gonna buy soon if the trade works out. Put some relective tape on the ends of the flashlight so people can see you. Be safe

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by John N:
Note, Niterider makes a very expensive, but very spiffy LED bike tail light.

While it certainly isn't worth the price, I've often considered getting some to mount on my vest -- the housing is just too spiffy.

-john
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">John,
IMO the niterider tail lights aren't 10X as bright as other bike tail lights. They are brighter, but not blindingly bright.

These lights tap into the battery pack from your headlight. So unless you like carrying around a 3 lb battery pack...

Here's an interesting thought. You can purchse a Niterider headlamp & the tail light combo. They have a pack which you could modify to hang off your belt, or reside in a fanny pack. Then you have a hand light while still having a bright flashing light from behind.

/babble

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
I have had a similar problem when walking my dog at night. Here's my solution:

We walk with our "duty" leash and collar, which is a double stitched latigo leather, to keep the dog familiar with the equipment. I will add an additional reflective collar when visibility is needed. This is the same "Pet Smart" collar as mentioned in the other threads. It's retroreflective as well a powered by a single cell LED module. The LED part of the collar is of inferior quality and is not normally used. Also the reflective material covers only about 60% of the collar. The good thing about the collar is it's slightly domed surface that reflects light from a wide angle. The 60% coverage problem was solved by placing a split ring and blue Glo-Toob
(bright, durable, and sort of expensive) near the clasp to cause the loosely worn collar to always position the non-reflective portion towards the pavement. The Glo-Toob is somewhat brighter than the Krill but uses a 12V (23A) remote control type battery. That takes care of the K9.

Col_Ani.gif

Group%20Home.jpg

For greater visibility I have used a hole punch to create reflective dots of 3M Scotchlite material that was scrounged from the waste created by the City's street sign making machine. I'm told that it's more durable that the hardware store type. These "dots" have been placed on the lower heel sole area of my shoes to provide visibility from behind. I am also considering a reflective windbreaker that is made with illumiNIGHT fabric. It's available here:
http://www.glowdog.com/reflect.htm

If money were no object I would go for the Blauer 9970 at $300.

9970-1.jpg

As for flashlights I carry two. A SF (P6 or M2) two cell equipped with the Luxeon KL3 head and lanyard carried in my weak (left) hand with the leash. It pulls poop scoop duty as well as signaling motorists. This provides adequate light and good battery life. The second is a SF three cell (P9) equipped with a turbo head for the rare times that I need the extended reach.

hoss

Newly Enlightened
I was in Sports Authority yesterday and picked up 5 of the Fun Source Safety lights for myself and some friends who own dogs.

They cost $5.99 each. They have a clip-on.
They contain 5 red LED's that can work in 6 different modes via a pushbutton. The lights appear to be high quality but I don't know if they are water-resistant.

These suckers are bright! Installed on the collar even if your pet gets loose you can't miss those led's to find him.

The website is www.funsourcellc.com but like I said you can them cheaper at Sports Authority.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas. I really appreciate it. I'll definitely try some of them and let you know how it works out in my neighborhood. My dog seems to have issues with lights hanging from his collar, he gets disoriented when I hang a Photon or turquoise Arc AAA on him. I think its from the bouncing around of the light. A lighted collar might be more tolerable for him

John N - sound like you've really done some homework on this issue.

RW - That jacket looks cool.

Hoss - my dog's name is Hoss too.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also opened a thread on the Fun Source 360 Pro LED Safety Light, although I haven't seen any comments about it yet.

FS-360PRO-ALL_lrg.jpg

Last edited:

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option is to make your own (collar, vest, harness, etc). Here is an old post about reflective tape.

-john

[Edit: Link was busted. Updated link, but not totally sure it is the right post]

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
I work my 90lb German Sherpard off lead at night with cars all around. Getting ready to order the SAR lighted collar.

I use the brightest light available that can run continously for minimal 45minutes.

Been using my 200+ lumens MR-X X3T, works real well. Just got Barbolight U-09 (200+ lumens?) which is suppose to run for 2 hours. got 3x nmh C cells coming in. Alk will barely run for 20minutes brite in U-09.

Barbolight is made much more rugged than MRX with longer runtime. really looking forward to getting my new C cells.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about this light I modded.
DSC00122.jpg

With the head off, it's an attention getter from many angles.

DSC00068.jpg

With the head on, it's easy to give the idiots driving by the training THEY need to slow down in residential areas.
DSC00009.jpg

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
**double post deleted**

Doh! When CPF went down I didn't think my post had taken. So I re-posted when it came back up.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
John N said:
I'm trying to tie the dog walking threads together. Here are all the dog walking threads I know of:

Summary of Dog Walking Threads on the CPF Wiki

[Keywords: dog, doggie, doggy, blinker, reflective, night, walking, safety]

Ah, with the help of the Google search, I found the last couple of missing links in my thread summary. I've moved them to the CPF Wiki, and now anyone can help keep the thread summary up to date.

Cheers,

-john