• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Announcing: The Aviatrix! Fantastic new modification for Surefire A2 Aviators!

bridgman

Enlightened
>>From my understanding, the colors red, green, and blue are used to create any color using TRANSMISSIVE technology (where light is emitted from the item), and the colors Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (combined with Black) are used for REFLECTIVE technology (white light reflecting off a piece of paper, etc.).

I thought it was the other way round -- RGB for additive, CMY for subtractive. I believe that is consistent with the use of "white with RGB, black with CMY"... I think...

At least I *think* transmissive = subtractive, ie you transmit through one, two or three filters ?

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

bridgman said:
>>From my understanding, the colors red, green, and blue are used to create any color using TRANSMISSIVE technology (where light is emitted from the item), and the colors Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (combined with Black) are used for REFLECTIVE technology (white light reflecting off a piece of paper, etc.).

I thought it was the other way round -- RGB for additive, CMY for subtractive. I believe that is consistent with the use of "white with RGB, black with CMY"... I think...

At least I *think* transmissive = subtractive, ie you transmit through one, two or three filters ?

When I said "transmissive", I meant that the light is being "transmitted" from a source (LED, computer screen, etc.)... perhaps it's a poor choice of words to convey the intended meaning. Basically, what I was trying to say is that RGB is used where the device is actually creating the light, and CMYK is used where the device is reflecting light that is created by some other source (light bulb, sun, etc.).

Best wishes,
Bawko

mahoney

Enlightened
CYM color mixing does work with light. It's done with filters fairly frequently in theatrical lighting. The problem might be finding an LED that emits magenta, especially a bright one. You could use CYRB but that's 4 LEDs and there's only 3 holes in an A2.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Katdaddy said:
Just curious OH Great Feathered One,:bow:
With your new jigs how long does it take to assemble an Aviatrix?

If I focus and have no phone-related distractions, about 30-40 minutes. I've got a new pair of SMT tweezers on the way, which should further reduce the time once they arrive.

Best wishes,
Bawko

BobVA

Enlightened
DM51 said:
A bump for the Bird…

We briefly discussed the possibility of a 4-stage Aviatrix with RGB LEDs (each colour individually, and all 3 to make white) but as you said, the difficulty is in finding properly balanced LEDs to achieve white. I know you are still thinking about how to solve this. ?

If this is an interest item, how about using tri-color LED's (i.e. those that have R,G and B chips in each package)? Then you could cycle all the LEDs through the three primary colors and any combination of the three (including a passable white). Problems:
- I'm not sure I've seen these a package the size of those used in the Aviator, but I haven't looked that hard, either. (I think the last batch I got was T1 1/4)
- They aren't very high output

That said, my "tri color" preference would be white low, white high (one LED), red low/hi and UV (high only). (I'd also blink the red LED as a warning the UV was activated if it's not obvious.)

Fun to think about.

Bob

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

BobVA said:
If this is an interest item, how about using tri-color LED's (i.e. those that have R,G and B chips in each package)? Then you could cycle all the LEDs through the three primary colors and any combination of the three (including a passable white). Problems:
- I'm not sure I've seen these a package the size of those used in the Aviator, but I haven't looked that hard, either. (I think the last batch I got was T1 1/4)
- They aren't very high output

That said, my "tri color" preference would be white low, white high (one LED), red low/hi and UV (high only). (I'd also blink the red LED as a warning the UV was activated if it's not obvious.)

Fun to think about.

Bob

I've actually spent quite a bit of time researching the RGB 5mm LEDs and considering a future Aviatrix design based on them. However... the biggest drawback right now (and the thing that keeps me from actually designing a circuit board) is that the currently available RGB LEDs are VERY low output, probably too low to be of much use for anything but the closest work.

Someday soon... when the output power of these is increased... I'll take on the challenge and do another "impossible" routing and software design! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

CDI

Newly Enlightened
Suggestion - if there's any way to mod an Aviator so the incan is replaced with a Cree or Seoul, I'd be all over that.

cy

Flashaholic
why? then A2'd just be another LED light...

if it's possible I'd love to have 3 cree being driven below spec's to avoid heat buildup.

CDI said:
Suggestion - if there's any way to mod an Aviator so the incan is replaced with a Cree or Seoul, I'd be all over that.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDITED: I'll take a two-stage

1 red - primary

2 white - secondary

PayPal coming shortly.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
CDI said:

Wouldn't this be a SF L2? Or an L2 with an emitter swap-out, anyway.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

cy said:
why? then A2'd just be another LED light...
if it's possible I'd love to have 3 cree being driven below spec's to avoid heat buildup.

cy nailed it. Replacing the center incandescent bulb would get rid of what makes the A2 such a unique and excellent light: the amazing regulated incandescent that maintains its brightness throughout most of the battery's life.

As for the 3 CREEs, I've actually been playing around with the possibility of 3 underdriven Luxeon Rebel emitters, I think it might actually fit. I'm going to obtain some samples later this summer and see if it's possible!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

s.duff said:
is it too late to get in on a two stage?

Nope... just too late for the first production run of 25. I'm going to have all of the first production run shipped out to customers this week, after which I'll be actively taking new orders - including international orders. If you'd like, you can go ahead and order one now to reserve your place in line, just be aware that there will be about a 2 week delay before I'll be up-and-running on next production run, as I need to obtain a new batch of circuit boards, parts, etc.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
woo-hoo. Glad to hear the chicken's are flying the coop this week!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bawko,

I still want two rings, but I wonder how much of the blue is smoothed out by the red LED. If it is more white with the red LED, instead of more blue with 3 of the THC3 Whites, then I may go that route.

Bill

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

bwaites said:
I still want two rings, but I wonder how much of the blue is smoothed out by the red LED. If it is more white with the red LED, instead of more blue with 3 of the THC3 Whites, then I may go that route.

I don't see ANY blue in my red/white Aviatrix ring... the red LED makes the light output kind of "pink" looking - and seems to remove all traces of bluish tinge.

Of course... unless you need the red for night vision retention, I personally find a 1 Green / 2 White beam to be the most pleasing of all the color combinations I've tried so far... the traces of blue in the White LEDs mix with the green LED light to make a really awesome sea-green coloration that's just beautiful to look at - and very nice to use outdoors.

IndecisiveFlashaholic said:
Atomic_Chicken, does installation of the Atrivix ring void the SF warranty?

I have no idea... I imagine that it probably would... although if you buy an Aviatrix ring and just "keep it around" (nudge nudge) and you "never get around to installing it" (wink wink) and "only open the head to change the bulb" (know wut I mean... know wut I mean) then you're probably OK with their warranty.

Best wishes,
Bawko