• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Announcing: The Aviatrix! Fantastic new modification for Surefire A2 Aviators!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM, sorry for teasing you like that!

I don't think that js's light leaves his person except maybe in bed. My two are always on me or within reach.

I do have a friend that want's a black one, and won't take one of mine, so I'm in the market for one.

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51,

SELL one of my SF A2's? That's INSANE. I'll forget I ever heard that. And I never get bored with my A2's, although I've stopped having to have my A2 within arms reach at all times (even in bed), so maybe that's one small step towards boredom :shrug:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

cy said:
any chance you could build a blood finding led ring using blue and red?
like gerber carnivore.. http://www.gerbertools.com/1882_22-80066_Gerber_Carnivore_Blood_Tracking_Light.html

Actually, I'm going to do one better than Gerber on this! I've been planning a version for a while, which will be announced along with several other new Aviatrix models sometime late next week.

Basically, the principle I'm going to use is this: Fresh blood appears as black "voids" when you shine a monochromatic Blue light on it. However, it appears highly reflective and "bright" when you shine a monochromatic Red light on it. So, my thought is this: an Aviatrix version that has a special "blood mode" which ALTERNATES between blue and red LEDs, flashing back and forth between the two colors at about 3HZ. This should cause fresh blood to "blink" and flash at you - alternately reflecting the Red, then disappearing under the Blue. This should be the best blood-tracking light ever! I'm going to call it the "Aviatrix Bloodhound".

Stay tuned... many exciting new mods coming up next week!

Best wishes,
Bawko

cy

Flashaholic
first in line for one... when shall I send PP?

thanks,

Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

Actually, I'm going to do one better than Gerber on this! I've been planning a version for a while, which will be announced along with several other new Aviatrix models sometime late next week.

Basically, the principle I'm going to use is this: Fresh blood appears as black "voids" when you shine a monochromatic Blue light on it. However, it appears highly reflective and "bright" when you shine a monochromatic Red light on it. So, my thought is this: an Aviatrix version that has a special "blood mode" which ALTERNATES between blue and red LEDs, flashing back and forth between the two colors at about 3HZ. This should cause fresh blood to "blink" and flash at you - alternately reflecting the Red, then disappearing under the Blue. This should be the best blood-tracking light ever! I'm going to call it the "Aviatrix Bloodhound".

Stay tuned... many exciting new mods coming up next week!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

cy said:
first in line for one... when shall I send PP?
thanks,

Any time you'd like... just be aware that there is an approx. 2 week wait at this point before I will be able to produce and ship new Aviatrix mods. I'm currently working on the first 25 unit production run, after which there will be a 10 day pause in production to get customer feedback, improve the production process, and prepare for large-scale production.

If you want to reserve this, or any other Aviatrix mod, you can send me a Paypal payment to keep your "place in line" so to speak. I'm planning on charging $8 more than the normal 2-Stage Aviatrix for the new "specialty" Aviatrix mods, so be sure to add that premium if you want to reserve an Aviatrix Bloodhound.

Best wishes,
Bawko

cy

Flashaholic
PP sent for one Aviatrix Bloodhound.
can hardly wait.... two weeks delivery time sounds good!

Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!Any time you'd like... just be aware that there is an approx. 2 week wait at this point before I will be able to produce and ship new Aviatrix mods. I'm currently working on the first 25 unit production run, after which there will be a 10 day pause in production to get customer feedback, improve the production process, and prepare for large-scale production.

If you want to reserve this, or any other Aviatrix mod, you can send me a Paypal payment to keep your "place in line" so to speak. I'm planning on charging $8 more than the normal 2-Stage Aviatrix for the new "specialty" Aviatrix mods, so be sure to add that premium if you want to reserve an Aviatrix Bloodhound.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paypal sent for the BLOODHOUND version also...

Question:
My first one is set up for RcR123. Can the Bloodhound be set up for RcR123 also...

Thanks!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Lips said:
Paypal sent for the BLOODHOUND version also...

Question:
My first one is set up for RcR123. Can the Bloodhound be set up for RcR123 also...

Thanks!

Absolutely. Just put a message that you'd like RCR123 support in the Paypal when you send it. If all goes well with some new prototyping, I'll have an announcement to make regarding RCR123 support sometime tomorrow evening.

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic
bwaites said:
DM, sorry for teasing you like that!

I don't think that js's light leaves his person except maybe in bed. My two are always on me or within reach.

Bill
You got me fair and square – excellent shot! I should have ducked.

js said:
DM51,

SELL one of my SF A2's? That's INSANE. I'll forget I ever heard that. And I never get bored with my A2's, although I've stopped having to have my A2 within arms reach at all times (even in bed), so maybe that's one small step towards boredom
I think that little fly of mine got a rise there…

DM51

Flashaholic
Back on topic: You mentioned the 3-stage development in your other thread, whereby with a 1xUV/2xWhite configuration the white LEDs and the incan can be operated with or without the UV LED on. Perfect! Could the 1xUV/2xWhite one I ordered in post #64 be like this please!

No problem if there is a 5-minute delay while you develop, manufacture and field-test this.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

DM51 said:
Back on topic: You mentioned the 3-stage development in your other thread, whereby with a 1xUV/2xWhite configuration the white LEDs and the incan can be operated with or without the UV LED on. Perfect! Could the 1xUV/2xWhite one I ordered in post #64 be like this please!

No problem if there is a 5-minute delay while you develop, manufacture and field-test this.

HA!!! 5 Minutes? What do you think I am... an amateur? :D

Happy to oblige... my current thinking on the 1UV/2White version is that it should be either UV LED on or White LEDs on... can you think of any reason that you would ever want both on at the same time?

Best wishes,
Bawko

cy

Flashaholic
I've already sent PP, but would like to have 2x R123 support.

could you please post a picture of standard Aviatrix ring please?

Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

Absolutely. Just put a message that you'd like RCR123 support in the Paypal when you send it. If all goes well with some new prototyping, I'll have an announcement to make regarding RCR123 support sometime tomorrow evening.

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic
No reason at all - you are quite right. I think actually that is a good safety feature as well, so people with this option won't "forget" they have the UV LED on.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

cy said:
I've already sent PP, but would like to have 2x R123 support.
could you please post a picture of standard Aviatrix ring please?

I've made a note on your order to support rechargeables (up to 8.5V).

As for the photo, you're the 2nd person who's asked me this week for a photo... so I'll repeat what I told him. My digital camera does not take very good Macro closeup shots, they turn out kind of blurry. I've taken a few shots of the Aviatrix mods from normal distances, but they don't show the level of detail that I'd like and I wasn't very happy with them. In light of this, I'm borrowing a friend's Sony digital camera tomorrow... and I'll be taking photos from several angles later in the evening and posting them along with a project update thread either tomorrow or early the next day.

If you'd like to see the bare circuit boards, with no parts stuffed, here is a photo I took of the first prototype run:

Rings.jpg

There have been many changes to the circuit board since that photo was taken, I think you'll be surprised when you see the new photos I'll be posting in the next day or two! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

cy

Flashaholic
is it possible to put in support for three Cree emitters?

Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

I've made a note on your order to support rechargeables (up to 8.5V).

As for the photo, you're the 2nd person who's asked me this week for a photo... so I'll repeat what I told him. My digital camera does not take very good Macro closeup shots, they turn out kind of blurry. I've taken a few shots of the Aviatrix mods from normal distances, but they don't show the level of detail that I'd like and I wasn't very happy with them. In light of this, I'm borrowing a friend's Sony digital camera tomorrow... and I'll be taking photos from several angles later in the evening and posting them along with a project update thread either tomorrow or early the next day.

If you'd like to see the bare circuit boards, with no parts stuffed, here is a photo I took of the first prototype run:

Rings.jpg

There have been many changes to the circuit board since that photo was taken, I think you'll be surprised when you see the new photos I'll be posting in the next day or two! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

DM51 said:
No reason at all - you are quite right. I think actually that is a good safety feature as well, so people with this option won't "forget" they have the UV LED on.

That was my thinking as well. So, in essence, you will either select the single UV LED or the two White LEDs as the two modes... and all special features (Strobe, SOS, and Beacon) will flash the White LEDs on/off only, leaving the UV LED off.

One other thing I've been kicking around in the back of my head as an idea is that when the light is in the White LED mode, it will take two quick presses to switch it to the UV mode, but only one quick press to switch back to the White LEDs mode. Sort of a "Are you sure?" type failsafe. What are your thoughts along those lines?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

cy said:
is it possible to put in support for three Cree emitters?

Very, very unlikely. There just isn't enough room for the heatsinking and mounting required for high-output LEDs, I can barely even fit the current parts in there as it is! This is probably the most mechanically cramped circuit board I've ever attempted - it's given me an almost never-ending series of headaches in measurement, parts placement, component selection, and PCB trace routing!

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic
Atomic_Chicken said:
That was my thinking as well. So, in essence, you will either select the single UV LED or the two White LEDs as the two modes... and all special features (Strobe, SOS, and Beacon) will flash the White LEDs on/off only, leaving the UV LED off.

One other thing I've been kicking around in the back of my head as an idea is that when the light is in the White LED mode, it will take two quick presses to switch it to the UV mode, but only one quick press to switch back to the White LEDs mode. Sort of a "Are you sure?" type failsafe. What are your thoughts along those lines?
Sounds very good. I assume you could program it to automatically revert to white and cut out the UV LED when you go to incan? Or would you have to deselect UV first?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

DM51 said:
Sounds very good. I assume you could program it to automatically revert to white and cut out the UV LED when you go to incan? Or would you have to deselect UV first?

I really have no way of detecting when the incandescent bulb goes on... the processor circuitry pretty much sees the same voltage coming into the circuit from the center ring. As I stated in the other thread, whatever mode the LEDs are in will be the state they stay in during incandescent operation, and turning the incandescent bulb back off again will not change the mode either. However... I don't think that the single UV LED will be a problem when the main incandescent is switched on - that incandescent is too bright to stare directly into anyway.

Best wishes,
Bawko