Who can tell me about this Streamlight?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use Strion incandescent bulb and 16650 rechargeable single cell in Streamlight Scorpion. This will make your Scorpion as rechargeable without loosing power, brightness and run time.
Both Strion and Scorpion bulbs are same shape, same size and same contact pins but first one is 3.7V to work with single 3.7V rechargeable and Scorpion is nominally 6 volt to work with pair of primary Lithium CR123A
Scorpion was used on Castaway movie years ago.

BTW Carley Lamp was maker of Surefire lamp/reflector assemblies.

letschat7

Suspended
This thread needs more pics.

Attachments

• 3132CE77-6AE8-44E1-A96F-44AE0D78440D.jpeg
    3132CE77-6AE8-44E1-A96F-44AE0D78440D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: F89

letschat7

Suspended
I remember there are some variations. There is a model with a metal clip, a newer version with a serial number, and some LED versions.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no idea this was the light in Cast Away.
I always wondered what it was, I thought it had to be a two cell 123 light though.

The interest this light has that's been brought up, in my otherwise ordinary post, has been quite interesting. Thank you everyone for contributing thus far.

Initially I was already starting to lose interest in this light but the conversation, history and if I'm honest the Cast Away reference are making me keen to get one still.
Sounds like it's still a viable option to keep one of these going for a while, replacement lamp wise, so I may just pick one up and get a couple of spare Scorpion and hopefully Strion bulbs for running a 16650.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
What country are you from F89?
What once was the land of the legends but now more commonly known as the land of the woke and delusional.
I think we're still allowed to call it Australia?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use Strion incandescent bulb and 16650 rechargeable single cell in Streamlight Scorpion. This will make your Scorpion as rechargeable without loosing power, brightness and run time.
Both Strion and Scorpion bulbs are same shape, same size and same contact pins but first one is 3.7V to work with single 3.7V rechargeable and Scorpion is nominally 6 volt to work with pair of primary Lithium CR123A
Scorpion was used on Castaway movie years ago.

BTW Carley Lamp was maker of Surefire lamp/reflector assemblies.
Does anyone have the Streamlight bulb number for the Strion bulb I could use with a 16650?
I have a feeling they may be difficult for me to get, but I'm interested to check.

letschat7

Suspended
Ah good ole Ausfailia. I think I've heard of that place thanks to Alf Stewart's R ape Dungeon.

All jokes aside I think of Wolf Eyes, Energizer Double Barrels/Dolphins, and MagLite Lime and 4Ds plus a whole lotta China lights when I think of Aus. Here are two American lights that are Aus favs, the 4D has a 6V xenon dolphin bulb in it.

Attachments

• ABCE52ED-48F9-4370-A739-4FC6725C51F8.jpeg
    ABCE52ED-48F9-4370-A739-4FC6725C51F8.jpeg
    806.6 KB · Views: 23

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first good torch (when I was about 10) was a 6V lantern battery Eveready Dolphin.
Bet I've still got it.

Oh yeah! Feast your eyes on this bad boy.
I used to carry it clamped against the handle bars of my bike in my hand.
Buying batteries was always a strain. Loved this thing. She's pushing 40 now.
(Boy and a girl? Either trans or non binary. Nah she's all man!)

IMG_6361.jpeg

Note the awesome stealth wrap of black electrical tape around the bezel for extra coolness.

IMG_6363.jpeg

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to derail my own Streamlight thread but checking over this old light I'm positive it'd fire straight up with a battery. Bulbs' in tact and switch operation seems fine. She's super gritty and grimy and has some hard knocks on the back end which would make it no longer water tight but it'd work nonetheless.

Size 11.5 shoe for reference. It's a brick of a torch.

IMG_6364.jpeg
IMG_6365.jpeg

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew my man @aznsx would jump in on the Scorpion thread. 😎
The Scorpion was Streamlight's answer to the Surefire 6P and a good one at that. I had one for awhile. Adjustable beam, and the head has a slot for a spare bulb.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I knew my man @aznsx would jump in on the Scorpion thread. 😎
The Scorpion was Streamlight's answer to the Surefire 6P and a good one at that. I had one for awhile. Adjustable beam, and the head has a slot for a spare bulb.
Honestly, I'm surprised that the Pelican M6 from back in the day wasn't more successful. Came in a distant 3rd to the SureFire 6P, and the Streamlight Scorpion. But the M6's construction is better than the Scorpion's, and the M6 actually came with a fantastic nylon belt holster that had a slot for carrying two CR123 spare batteries. Just represented a great value over the other two.

Then each one got upgraded to LED. Pelican screwed up, and we had that huge controversy with the M6 LED having severely over-reported output. (I mean quite a substantial amount more than the Industry standard of rated lumens vs. Out The Front output.)