• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Announcing: The Aviatrix! Fantastic new modification for Surefire A2 Aviators!

DM51

Flashaholic
Yes, I could live with that, and it's a good point about the incan being too bright to stare at. The UV would only be for occasional use anyway, and I would set mine on white most of the time.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

. . .

I've made a note on your order to support rechargeables (up to 8.5V).

As for the photo, you're the 2nd person who's asked me this week for a photo... so I'll repeat what I told him. My digital camera does not take very good Macro closeup shots, they turn out kind of blurry. I've taken a few shots of the Aviatrix mods from normal distances, but they don't show the level of detail that I'd like and I wasn't very happy with them. . . . .

Best wishes,
Bawko

Also, when I get my two Aviatrices I will be doing a full blown review, complete with pictures. My camera does have a macro mode, and takes more or less decent close up shots.

Can't wait for my Avaitrices rings!

I've been waiting like, what, two or three DAYS now, Bawko? For you that's like two or three months of anyone else's time! I expected these rings to magically appear at my doorstep two or three minutes after receipt of my paypal payment.

I guess our expectations have been built up a bit due to your :bow: :bow: :bow: almost praeternaturally fast conception, execution, testing, and announcement of this product! Really, you have acheived God-like status here on CPF almost overnight for this--and you deserve it. Congratulations, Bawko.

JJH

Newly Enlightened
Big Chicken,
I have restrained myself (with chains) from being in the first wave of Aviatrix buyers 'cause I am not sure which ring I want---either all white, or 1 red-2 white. I am wondering how much tint the red adds to the white when all 3 are lit, as I want 1 led mode that is all white (with as little blue as possible).
Now, since you're talking about either having 1 or 2 leds lit and not all 3, maybe that would be a better solution.
For now, what does the beam look like with 1 red & 2 white leds lit?
In awe,
JJ

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Lordy, now you've done it, Bawko! :ohgeez: You've gone and gotten that JS character all fired up and panting like a papparazzi catching Britney Spears skinny dipping! :lolsign:

God save us all. :candle:

:eek:oo: :aaa:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
Looking forward to it, js – sounds like it is going to be a little more detailed than this rather brief effort:-
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107943

LOL!

That A2 thread of mine wasn't so much a review as a hymn to, and a meditation on, the SF A2! Hence the lack of all the usual review stuff like how it works, runtime graphs, dimensions, price, etc. And also, hence the length.

No. My "review" of the Aviatrix drop-in ring will indeed be a more or less standard REVIEW, posted in the review forum, and nowhere near as long as my A2 thread. "brief effort"! LOL!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

First off, THANK YOU JS. As always, your words of encouragement and overall excitement for this project mean a lot to me... as the author of the "Surefire A2 - More than a set of numbers" article you've commanded my respect almost from the time I signed up on this forum.

On to the question:

JJH said:
Big Chicken,
I have restrained myself (with chains) from being in the first wave of Aviatrix buyers 'cause I am not sure which ring I want---either all white, or 1 red-2 white. I am wondering how much tint the red adds to the white when all 3 are lit, as I want 1 led mode that is all white (with as little blue as possible).
Now, since you're talking about either having 1 or 2 leds lit and not all 3, maybe that would be a better solution.
For now, what does the beam look like with 1 red & 2 white leds lit?
In awe,
JJ

What you are referring to is the Aviatrix "3-Stage" mod - which is still under development. If you can wait a few weeks, I'll be able to give you what you want - the option of Red, or White, or Red+White modes.

As for the current beam with 1 Red+2 White LEDs lit, I personally actually like it. I wasn't sure at the beginning - I was concerned that the "bleed" of the two colors would result in an ugly beam with horrible artifacts and bad coloration. To my surprise, the resulting beam is actually quite pleasant - it's kind of a "pinkish" white with a fairly even white flood and a squarish section of "reddishness" toward the hotspot. I've found that I actually like the reddish-pinkish beam better than a straight white beam, it's warm and "glowy" without the harsh blue "coldness" of the all-white beam. I'm going to eventually get around to taking beamshot photos, and posting them on this thread on the first page introduction post.

Best wishes,
Bawko

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching with interest and fascination, Bawko. The only thing that threw me for a while was your username... then again, who am I to talk! :D

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
Is the circuit able to support current required for 3 SMJLED (5 dies, 100mA typical each, total for 3 LED will be 300mA)?

I'm thinking to get 2 mode ring and mounted 3 SMJLED on it, so I still can get low level of light as per original SF ring, and have option of higher LED light output for floodlight. I can mount the LED myself, as long as the circuit support the current required.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Bernhard said:
Is the circuit able to support current required for 3 SMJLED (5 dies, 100mA typical each, total for 3 LED will be 300mA)?

I'm thinking to get 2 mode ring and mounted 3 SMJLED on it, so I still can get low level of light as per original SF ring, and have option of higher LED light output for floodlight. I can mount the LED myself, as long as the circuit support the current required.

With the new circuit (the ONLY circuit I'll be shipping!) detailed in the above thread, 100ma per LED will be no problem. The transistors I'm currently using will work at up to 300ma per LED.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Update for you all! I finished the production jigs necessary for full-speed-ahead production today (I've been doing meticulous hand-alignment of everything for prototypes up to this point). I tested the jigs by building one each of an Aviatrix LED-Ring and an Aviatrix 2-Stage (Red). Everything worked PERFECTLY, and I was able to build both in less time than it took me to do the last hand-assembled LED ring alone!

After I assembled them, I shipped them to a customer (js) after packaging... not because he was the first to sign up for one on the sales thread, but because he was promised the first unit back when I was still figuring out if I could pull this whole thing off!

So... thank you all for your patience, the next few days are going to be a flurry of Aviatrix production and shipping!

js: Your Aviatrix 2-Stage (1R/2W) and Aviatrix LED-Ring (Red) are on the way! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

nightshade

Enlightened
Atomic,many thanks for the honest update. And thanks for the upgrade. Future customer here, indeed.

DM51

Flashaholic
A bump for the Bird…

We briefly discussed the possibility of a 4-stage Aviatrix with RGB LEDs (each colour individually, and all 3 to make white) but as you said, the difficulty is in finding properly balanced LEDs to achieve white. I know you are still thinking about how to solve this. Would it be any easier to get the balance right with Yellow, Magenta and Cyan LEDs instead of RGB? You would get the primary colors by having any two on (C+M=B, C+Y=G, M+Y=R) so the advantage would be brighter primaries, and again all 3 on to get white. Might that work?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

DM51 said:
A bump for the Bird…

We briefly discussed the possibility of a 4-stage Aviatrix with RGB LEDs (each colour individually, and all 3 to make white) but as you said, the difficulty is in finding properly balanced LEDs to achieve white. I know you are still thinking about how to solve this. Would it be any easier to get the balance right with Yellow, Magenta and Cyan LEDs instead of RGB? You would get the primary colors by having any two on (C+M=B, C+Y=G, M+Y=R) so the advantage would be brighter primaries, and again all 3 on to get white. Might that work?

From my understanding, the colors red, green, and blue are used to create any color using TRANSMISSIVE technology (where light is emitted from the item), and the colors Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (combined with Black) are used for REFLECTIVE technology (white light reflecting off a piece of paper, etc.). I've never heard of a CMYK LED array before...

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

luigi said:
Bawko,

Short and to the point: "Me wants!"

Any expected delivery date?

Luigi

Already building and delivering them, js has received his and several others are on the way... your order was #9 in line, so it should ship on Mon. or Tues. of next week based on current progress... I'm hoping to have everybody's orders from the first 25 shipped by Wed. or Thurs. of next week. I know this is a few days over the scheduled 7-10 days, even with the 5-day delay for the redesign, but it's the fastest I can go considering that I've had to write the manuals, built production jigs, figure out a good way to test each unit before it's packaged, and deal with the inevitable delays in parts shipment and production scheduling around my other work. Just know this: I've given priority over all other projects to the Aviatrix, and intend to build a satisfied (and hopefully repeat) customer base. :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

DM51

Flashaholic
Atomic_Chicken said:
From my understanding, the colors red, green, and blue are used to create any color using TRANSMISSIVE technology (where light is emitted from the item), and the colors Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (combined with Black) are used for REFLECTIVE technology (white light reflecting off a piece of paper, etc.). I've never heard of a CMYK LED array before...
To simulate a black (K) LED, you would need to install a totally inert component, or perhaps a LED that had burned out and emitted absolutely no light of any type whatsoever. Or you could just leave a hole there, painted black.

Seriously, I don't see why this shouldn't work. You can test it on your computer screen with a colour mixer set to CMY (never mind about the K). Just turn any 2 of them up to max, with the 3rd one on zero, and you'll get a primary color (as per my post #114 above). If you turn all 3 up to max you get white.