Annoying Surefires

recercare

Enlightened
The rechargeable Surefires are annoying. It's so difficult deciding which one to buy!
mad.gif

This is what I have found out so far. Let me know if you agree/disagree:

The 9AN's 140 lumen output is pretty close to my Magcharger, and I don't really need the additional 20 lumen lamp. Of that reason, no 9AN for me.

The 10X sounds amazing. However, it's way too expensive and the run time using the 500 lumen lamp is too short. I would rather buy the UK LC 100 instead, which is almost as bright with longer run time (and cheaper).
.....but then I miss the 60 lumen 3 hours run time lamp
rolleyes.gif

The 8NX is probably the best buy. It's 110 lumen ouput fills the gap between Magcharger/Ultrastinger and 40-60 lumen flashlights. However, 50 minutes run time is short, very short!
shocked.gif
Maybe the Surge will be a better buy
confused.gif

Arrrrg. Another search or as I say, Quest for the Perfect Torch. I consider myself a reasonable person. All I want is:
175 lumen
No larger than a stinger
2 hour run time
Rechargable, in 15 min.
Focus from tiny hot spot to room size with no rings or spill light.
Less than 2 pounds(1 kilo)
Under $100.00

Start the Quest.

p.s. I like my U-stinger (except for the annoying spill rings).
grin.gif
wink.gif

I've never carried the 9N, but I've handled one and IMO they are just to big for regular carry. I like my 8X, but the tailcap is fairly heavy. The 10X is an awesome light, with the twin bulbs, but I agree that it is an expensive toy.

I would highly recommend the 6P (or whatever other 2-cell SF you want to substitute) and get the rechargeable conversion kit. This way you have a rechargeable light, but if something happens and you can't recharge it, you can throw a couple of SF/D/CR 123s in it and it still works. The P60 bulb that is in the two cell SFs, is 65 lumens. It has a brighter and larger hotspot than the 8X (which has a larger surround beam to it than the P60) and very easy to adapt. Plus you can get a Z32 shock isolated bezel to help preserve those bulbs when and if you might drop it.

If you have any further questions about SF rechargeables just let me know.

MacCharger is brighter than 9AN. 9AN beats MacCharger in carriability (can't find this word in dictionary??).

8AX will not fill the gap of MacCharger and UltraStinger since both of them is brighter and throw farther.

Price asides, 10X is really a great product not simply because it is bright. I will say its value is in its usability. Normally, you don't need very bright light all the time to catch attention, you only need it for a few minutes when situation comes up. You will need around 60 to 110 lumens *most of the time* to walk/look around for longer run time. With 10X, you don't have to carry 2 lights and switch the light when situation comes up suddenly and put back the bright light afterward? This is annoying.

If your budget allows, this is a must rechargeable you should have whether it's Sure Fire or not. Of course, UltraStinger is another best rechargeable.

Alan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan:
8AX will not fill the gap of MacCharger and UltraStinger since both of them is brighter and throw farther.

Alan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooops, I think you misread a little. I said the 8NX will fill the gap between Ultrastinger(or Magcharger) and other 60-80 lumen flashlights, not the gap between Magcharger and Ultrastinger.

After much consideration I've ruled out the 9AN. Buying the 6P with rechargeable kit is a good idea. However, I have many 60 lumens flashlight already, so this time I'll go for 100 lumen or 250-500 lumen. The 10X is too expensive for me at this moment, so the choice is between the 8NX and Light Cannon 100 with NiCd batterypack.

Is it true that the 8NX has a more "comfortable" beam than other Surefires? A guy told me that he loved this flashlight because it illuminated more of the room, and not just a tiny spot. He said he got tired of the M2 because the intense hotspot "blinded him" while leaving everything outside pitch dark. The contrast was just too high.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:

Is it true that the 8NX has a more "comfortable" beam than other Surefires? A guy told me that he loved this flashlight because it illuminated more of the room, and not just a tiny spot. He said he got tired of the M2 because the intense hotspot "blinded him" while leaving everything outside pitch dark. The contrast was just too high.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a big difference in the brightness of the 8NX hot spot and it's surrounding light, but the surrounding light is bright enough to be usefull. If you have some 60 lumen lights the 8NX might not be too different from what you have. It's rated at 110 lumens, but does not seem much brighter than my Legend LX. It's only noticably brighter at distances 20' or greater. The 8NX cuts though better. It's the only SureFire I own (so far) so I can't compare to other SureFire beams. I do however like the Nitrolon, it's lightweight for it's size and has a good grip.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
so the choice is between the 8NX and Light Cannon 100 with NiCd batterypack.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Light Cannon would be more of the light in terms of output that you are looking to fill. Unless the 200+ lumen lamp comes out for the 8NX in January.
wink.gif

Like you said in your first post, the Surge would be a good inexpensive choice and you can use rechargeable AA's in it.
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:
Quest for the Perfect Torch.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always wanted a light the size and weight of a G2 or E2, but rechargeable with 200 lumen tight beam for 30 min and 30 lumen wider beam (think beamshaper) for 120 min switchable in the same light like a mini but more extreme 9AN or even with two reflectors like the 10x.
grin.gif
I'll wake up now.
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif

Ooops, I think you misread a little. I said the 8NX will fill the gap between Ultrastinger(or Magcharger) and other 60-80 lumen flashlights, not the gap between Magcharger and Ultrastinger.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops... this is the result of working in mddle of the night without coffee. OK, visiting the forum is not really considered working:)

Alan