Another bad Jetbeam

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
This all sounds like the lottery to me, which when dealing with a major consumer electronics company is usually the case. That and usually on forums such as this, it is usually the dissatisfied customers that are the most vocal. So, what we get to hear about any given light is most generally very disproportionate when it come to either being defective or being functional and having nothing wrong with it.

I have an M1X, RRT-0, RRT-1, RRT-2, JET-1 PRO V3.0, JET-lll PRO ST BVC, JET-ll M, and had an E3P that I gave to my father. All of them have worked flawlessly, and I will not hesitate to purchase JETBeam products in the future. If you peruse this forum, it is very evident that I am not alone. There is no reason to give JETBeam a bad name here. It is an excellent product that many people justifiably like and trust....and depend on for their life.

Folks, this is not hard. If you want the latest, bleeding edge technology and emitters, go preorder the latest V1.0 Jetbeam, Fenix, 4Sevens, etc. If you want the next best thing for updated tech, wait a couple months for the bugs to be worked out and get a V2.0. If you absolutely must have 99.99% reliability, then you can wait further for 3.0/4.0, or go for a different company that has already worked out all the kinks, like Surefire. It's just a different product completely; there is no right or wrong.

Bleeding edge tech or dead to rights reliable, pick one, and don't bash the other because it's not your preference.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is not only untrue, but an unfair and apparently uninformed assumption. The JETBeam lights are manufactured for actual use; not just for looks. They are very functional lights, and not just that....but very versatile and rugged. I carry most of my JETBeams with me every day, either in my pockets or my backpack. They get used a lot, and show signs of carry and use. I have not had one of my many JETBeams malfunction or fail me yet. And, I am not unique or alone by any stretch. As I mentioned earlier, all one needs to do is peruse this forum to find many happy and satisfied JETBeam owners. So let's keep this balanced and fair. No one is denying that JETBeam has defective products slip out in to the consumer market, but let's not deny that this is the case for any major consumer products manufacturer. Let's also not deny that there are many happy and satisfied JETBeam customers, some of who depend on their lights for their lives.

Jetbeam's pricing would seem to call for significantly better engineering, manufacturing, and quality control than what's actually provided- but from the comments here, one could assume that Jetbeam's management needs to do little but pump our more flashy, shiny designs and laugh all the way to the bank.

Last edited:

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
This all sounds like the lottery to me, which when dealing with a major consumer electronics company is usually the case. That and usually on forums such as this, it is usually the dissatisfied customers that are the most vocal. So, what we get to hear about any given light is most generally very disproportionate when it come to either being defective or being functional and having nothing wrong with it.

So true Mr. Bond ...

Brian

OCD

Enlightened
Who says it needs to be a "split-second" emergency? How about you had an accident on the road at night and needed a light to work 100% to keep yourself from getting creamed by the next vehicle coming down the road 5 minutes from now? And if the "odds are not in your favor" then I want every advantage I can get, especially right now.

This is my last post on this subject as I do not wish to steer the thread off topic (which I'm not sure if it is about Jetbeam quality or just quality as a whole). But I recall a CPF motto..."2 is 1, 1 is none." I have 2 lights in my vehicle and usually 2 EDC in my pockets. The odds that all off these lights fail me in that one crutial time of need are so high that its not worth calculating.

If someone needs to justify a specific brand or type light by "life depending on it", by all means do what you need to.

My soap box is closed. :wave:

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many people out there are putting themselves in daily situations where their life depends on a flashlight? I do understand that this can be the case for certain professions like an LEO or someone in the military, etc. But for the average joe "flashaholic", I just don't see it.
I think they're the same people who keep a cellphone on their person "for emergencies" and have yet to make a single emergency call with it.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
Kengps,

Seriously, I'm sorry you have received a bunch of jetbeam lemons, it happens and I feel your pain, they are expensive and one certainly has the right to demand/expect perfection.

I had to post again in this thread because I though of you whilst reading another, and I would assume (I know) that you wont be carrying any jetbeams during the zombie apocalypse .. :poke:

Hope you don't mind a little levity once and awhile.

And hope you get things resolved to your liking.

Best of luck

Brian

Last edited:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Thanks for spurring my new sig line.

Actually Jetbeam is now available directly on the net so I suggest that you send them a line or two about the issues that you have encountered. I know that I searched for their contact information a while ago and I was unable to find them on the net so I would say that this is a great improvement to be able to deal directly with the company on quality control issues.

357mag1

Enlightened
I loved my first RRT-1 and M1X. The 2nd of each light was a disappointment. I won't be buying any more Jetbeams, their quality seems to be going downhill fast.
I would buy two more of each today if I could get ones as well made as the first two Jetbeams I bought. My second M1X is still in for repair. It died for no apparent reason about the tenth time I turned it on. My second RRT-1 does not throw near as well as the first one. That is okay though, I've discovered the Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1. Awesome thrower and single mode. Much brighter spill and spot than my good RRT-1 and significantly cheaper. Quality has been consistent in the three I have bought so far.

burntoshine

Enlightened
a while back, i started taking an interest in jetbeam and liteflux. i decided to check out liteflux first. i will definitely pass on checking out jetbeam now.

companies need to realize that QC and customer service are important. they don't seem to care and i don't care to give my money to a company like that.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear of all your problems. I am fortunately in the camp who have owned only flawless Jetbeams. RRT-0, RRT-1, Jet III Pro v3, and Jet-III M, so far. But there are lemons from every company. I can't seem to get a good Glock or Sig, believe it or not.

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
I own a couple of JETbeams and have been satisfied with them, but this topic has me wondering about Jetbeam service. Does JB have any stateside service or do problem lights have to be returned to China to be serviced? If they go back to China, does anybody have any experience with returns?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a couple of JETbeams and have been satisfied with them, but this topic has me wondering about Jetbeam service. Does JB have any stateside service or do problem lights have to be returned to China to be serviced? If they go back to China, does anybody have any experience with returns?

Bugoutgear appears to be their biggest dealer in the U.S. (although not the only) Most (including myself) have been pleased with their service if any problems develope from anything purchased from them. Now having said that, my problem came from having a cracked lens and the dealer I purchased from (not Bugoutgear) didn't carry any spare parts nor seem able to receive any. After contacting Jetbeam a couple of times, I finally got them to send me one. It took way too much effort and way too much time to get any help, which left me very frustrated.

This same light had a nicked/cracked O-ring, but of course a spare comes with the light so customer service wasn't needed for this problem.

In all fairness to their quality, I own two Jetbeams and the quality of the second one has been perfect since I purchased it, and I carry it everyday. My problem / frustration was the service.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Last edited:

Polklifer

Newly Enlightened
My first JB was an RRT-0. It had all of the well documented problems with battery recognition and pre-flash. I got a second from batch two and it seems to work OK. After the ridiculous explanation they posted about how all of the flaws were, in fact, "features" I decided that I could probably live without them.

I worked with Chinese factories for a number of years and frequently their approach is to manufacture large quantities of an item and just replace the defective units if someone complains. One actually has to have people in the plant paying very close attention if you hope to get quality out of China.

With RA, SF, Malkoff, and First-Light there are some nice options that seem to be much better when it comes to QC.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved my first RRT-1 and M1X. The 2nd of each light was a disappointment. I won't be buying any more Jetbeams, their quality seems to be going downhill fast.
I would buy two more of each today if I could get ones as well made as the first two Jetbeams I bought. My second M1X is still in for repair. It died for no apparent reason about the tenth time I turned it on. My second RRT-1 does not throw near as well as the first one. That is okay though, I've discovered the Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1. Awesome thrower and single mode. Much brighter spill and spot than my good RRT-1 and significantly cheaper. Quality has been consistent in the three I have bought so far.

Hmmm......just last night after giving this problem much thought, while looking at the RRT-1 sitting in pieces on my desk, I decided that my previous most favorite/reliable light was a G2Z with an M60. And having fallen in love with R2 lights again after the purchase of a MP Pro 1 a week ago......I got online at Oveready's sight and ordered a Surefire Z2 with 18mm bore, HA III finish, UCL lens, and a Mclicky switch. Then I went to Lighthound and ordered another MP Pro 1 and UCL lens. Then I went to Battery Junction and ordered an SST-50, 550 lumen, P60 pill. And if Jetbeam ever decides to let me know what they decided after "we'll talk to our engineer, and get back to you" I'll tell them "too late"

Last edited:

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Hmmm......just last night after giving this problem much thought, while looking at the RRT-1 sitting in pieces on my desk, I decided that my previous most favorite/reliable light was a G2Z with an M60. And having fallen in love with R2 lights again after the purchase of a MP Pro 1 a week ago......I got online at Over-ready's sight and ordered a Surefire Z2 with 18mm bore, HA 3 finish, UCL lens, and a Mclicky switch. Then I went to Lighthound and ordered another MP Pro 1 and UCL lens. Then I went to Battery Junction and ordered an SST-50, 550 lumen, P60 pill. And if Jetbeam ever decides to let me know what they decided after "we'll talk to our engineer, and get back to you" I'll tell them "too late"

That's too bad Ken and your pics were bothersome too.

I have wanted multiple Jetbeams over the last couple years, but after the service I've recieved from a couple of the Chinese manufacturer reps directly, I'd expect more.

Love the one Jetbeam I did finally get, but my request to order an OP reflector was met with a "please contact your dealer, thank you for your support" was not what I was looking for.

If Jetbeam had a Ricky equivalent (Lumapower rep) looking after customers & concerns after the sale I would own a lot more of thier lights, no question....

easilyled

Flashaholic
My experience is as follows:-

About 6 months ago, based on selfbuilt's glowing review, I ordered an M1X (V2) from BugoutGear. When it arrived, I was delighted with the appearance of the HA and the machining - among the nicest I have seen. It also delivered in terms of power output and throw.

However, on the first day of receiving it, after playing around with the high and low beams for a while and changing battery configurations to 3 CR123s instead of 2 18500s, it suddenly went very weak on me and then eventually cut out altogether.

Naturally, I was very disappointed, particularly since I liked my new toy so much.

I PMed Flavio from BugoutGear and he said he'd send a new one straight away without even waiting to receive my faulty one.

When the new one arrived, it worked perfectly and to date it still does.

There are 2 conclusions that I draw from this experience:-

Firstly, Flavio is a first-class guy to deal with and if there is any problem he rectifies it immediately.

Secondly, it seems to me that if something is going to go wrong with a light, one usually finds out about it quite quickly so its worth extensively testing a light as soon as its received. If faulty, a reputable dealer will usually make good.