Another one bites the dust... 7th armytek wizard crapped out

Strintguy

Enlightened
After years here on CPF I have heard enough negatives about ATek that I would never buy one

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
I have two of them from Illum's bargin bin... I think about $20 or $25 each but never used em because I hate the spongy rubbery switch. You have to jab your fingernail into it to get it to click, and as far as a fast double click, forget it. I throw one in my car just for emergency and if it gets stolen, no big loss.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of them from Illum's bargin bin... I think about $20 or $25 each but never used em because I hate the spongy rubbery switch. You have to jab your fingernail into it to get it to click, and as far as a fast double click, forget it. I throw one in my car just for emergency and if it gets stolen, no big loss.

Yeah, I agree with that. Hardest switches to press of all my lights. I don't feel quite as bad as you do about them, but I agree they could use switches that are easier to activate. I suppose one upside is you don't have to worry about the light turning on accidentally, in a bag.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought Wizard Pro again in 2019 hoping to have more luck and this time everything is fine, it has excellent performance, I don't know if the first sample was a lemon or if in the meantime the led has become XHP.50.2 (or both) the new one Wizard Pro is very powerful and works well but has not been used so far
enough to make a judgment on durability and reliability.

Maybe I shouldn't have talked ..
Some time ago I saw that my Wizard Pro was not working on Turbo 2 and extracted the battery I measured 3.20V I did not remember having used the Headlamp.
I have now verified that the Wizard Pro has a strong parasitic discharge :-(
I had the suspicion but not the certainty, then I did an only 8-day test and the battery (Samsung 30Q) dropped from 4.20V to 3.93V
Now I will do the test with the original battery but I fear that the problem remains.
I am also in doubt as to whether to return it under warranty for fear that the replacement one may have other problems.

SG1

Newly Enlightened
Get a Zebralight or a Surefire and don't look back.

Or find a way to get a Malkoff or HDS to function as headlamps.

Had a Armytek predator pro... xpg2 neutral and i screwed the head on too tight and it stopped working. Ive has 2 zebralights Sc52 that quit on me as well. I've bought a ace beam L16 and after a waist height drop from my pocket to concrete that 1 took a s$@T too and died.

the only light I've had that has thus SO FAR been bullet proof from dieing, switch modes tweaking out etc etc is the FENIX PD36R I've had for 1 yr now. It's been dropped multiple times on concrete (probably 8x) still works. A first. Time will tell...

Kallyfudge

Newly Enlightened
Just to add the 4th(?) story to this thread about wizards draining batteries in storage. My Wizard pro V3 from 08/2017 has been awesome for nearly 3 years. I do a lot of night running with it and it always comes in handy around the house. 2 weeks ago I found it dead and the original AT battery was at 0V. I tested to see if it was just the battery and it drained the new one from 4.1 to 3.5v over around 10 days with the tailcap fully tightened.

Then Lou Minescence told me they had same problem with added smoke so will count myself lucky and it is officially dead to me. Would prefer not to have it go, especially mounted on my face in the middle of nowhere or burn down my flat.

Better find a new headtorch....

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I keep my wizard pro xhp50 mechanically locked out when not in use so I would not notice this type of issue. Is there any safety or performance concern in this case?