Any HDS Twisty News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Theatre Booth Guy,

We guarantee the minimum runtimes. Only the worst possible LED will produce this minimum runtime. All other LEDs produce longer - sometimes, much longer - runtimes. So yes, how much longer the light runs past the minimum is the "luck of the draw".

gottawearshades,

LEDs out of the same bin can vary in efficiency by as much as 2:1. See the Articles section of our web site for detailed explanations of why this is so - specifically, read LED Flashlight White Paper.

That said, the only way to ensure two flashlight using LEDs from the same bin are the same brightness is to calibrate each flashlight to the same brightness level. For production purposes, you must first determine the worst LED efficiency you can tolerate for a specified lumen level. The calibration process then adjusts the power level downward from this level until each LED emits the same amount of light. Thus the runtimes vary. The worst acceptable LED efficiency produces the minimum specified runtime while all other LEDs produce longer runtimes.

In this respect, each flashlight is custom. However, since the calibration process is part of the production process, these flashlights can be considered production flashlights.

Valpo Hawkeye,

The switch mechanism is actually very robust and it will be difficult from someone to accidentally damage it. The warning is mostly there for the "ham fisted" owner who likes to over tighten everything. We are trying to convey to the owner that there is no benefit to continuing to tighten the mechanism past the point the light has switched to high. Doing so on a regular basis will simply wear the components.unnecessarily. There is a big difference between loosely snug and torqued.

Henry.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification, Henry. To your point, I plumbed with a guy who was notorious for over-tightening. He would actually split 1-1/2 galvanized fittings on a semi-regular basis. I always cringed when I had to service his jobs because I knew I may not be able to get certain fittings apart. :duck:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Theatre Booth Guy,

We guarantee the minimum runtimes. Only the worst possible LED will produce this minimum runtime. All other LEDs produce longer - sometimes, much longer - runtimes. So yes, how much longer the light runs past the minimum is the "luck of the draw".

gottawearshades,

The calibration process then adjusts the power level downward from this level until each LED emits the same amount of light. Thus the runtimes vary. The worst acceptable LED efficiency produces the minimum specified runtime while all other LEDs produce longer runtimes.

In this respect, each flashlight is custom. However, since the calibration process is part of the production process, these flashlights can be considered production flashlights.

Henry.

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks.

neoseikan

Enlightened
My question is ,
Why it is black, not the lovely green like old HDS or Novatac EDC.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Yaesumofo,

We do not advertise the Ra Twisty as easily operated by one hand. With a brand new O-ring and after sitting a day or two without exercise, two hands are probably required to get things going. However, if the O-ring is well lubricated and the light has been operated recently, it can be fairly easily operated with one hand.

We chose a slightly tighter fit to ensure a good water seal.

Neoseikan,

Black causes fewer production problems and fewer complaints. The last time I spent a day at the platers working on some other issues, I took some photos of a rack of parts just prior to entering the dye tank. The only difference between black parts and natural parts are several minutes in the dye tank. On a single rack consisting of over 150 parts you can easily see significant differences in color on parts that are only inches away from each other. Needless to say, customer's complain when the color match between parts is not real close.

Once we have finished our release schedule we will entertain natural as an option.

Henry.

paulr

Flashaholic
I am glad it is not green. I got hassled in airports several times about my old Arc LS and I think it was that olive military cast that did it. I stay away from that color in flashlights and other dangerous (smile) looking devices now.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The contrast between the BLACK body and the stainless steel head should be cool.
What alloy stainless was used for the head/bezel?
Thanks
Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo,

We do not advertise the Ra Twisty as easily operated by one hand. With a brand new O-ring and after sitting a day or two without exercise, two hands are probably required to get things going. However, if the O-ring is well lubricated and the light has been operated recently, it can be fairly easily operated with one hand.

We chose a slightly tighter fit to ensure a good water seal.

Neoseikan,

Black causes fewer production problems and fewer complaints. The last time I spent a day at the platers working on some other issues, I took some photos of a rack of parts just prior to entering the dye tank. The only difference between black parts and natural parts are several minutes in the dye tank. On a single rack consisting of over 150 parts you can easily see significant differences in color on parts that are only inches away from each other. Needless to say, customer's complain when the color match between parts is not real close.

Once we have finished our release schedule we will entertain natural as an option.

Henry.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I inquired about my order and I was informed that:
  1. I did, in fact, place it like I remembered... I was worried because I could not find any confirmation emails and I started to doubt if I was still of a sound mind.
  2. My order did not ship but would likely ship next week. All of the first round of lights has shipped from Battery Station (I don't know how many that is).
It is actually kind of good that I am in the 2nd or 3rd run of lights as the more efficient LED's shipped in those batches:devil::nana:

Of course I am just kidding about the efficiencies:welcome:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS_Systems said:
Our testing has exceeded our expectations on runtimes. Even some of the worst LEDs have not had any problems meeting the new specification and the good LEDs are - well, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how long you can run at full power.

For those of you who complained about our earlier lights not making the full runtime at maximum power because of a thermal step-down, this no longer appears to be a problem. With the light sitting on a wood table and no additional cooling, the lights have been going the whole period at maximum power with no thermal step-downs.

If they truly run as long and as cool as you suggest they do, then my only complaint will be that there is no option to run them harder. :devil:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked with UPS, my light is in Kansas! Should be in CA round the 31:caution:

I'm really liking the writing on the bezel henry! I'm hoping that my SN has any combos of 1s or 8s in it;)

Mayo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are there no reviews so far? I have seen some end user images...
How about some user opinions, beam shots, runtime charts, you know the standard CPF stuff.
For as many people who have been waiting for so long I find it amazing that all of those new owners (they have been making their way to end users right?) don't want to show us the new RA in all of it's glory.
I am interested in how well the red emitter works on low.
Yaesumofo

Status
Not open for further replies.