Any ideas about the Muyshondt Beagle?

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
How can it turn on accidentally if the switch is located outside of the pocket, and recessed below the level of the tail?

Not doubting you, just has to be some oddly specific circumstances to get that to happen.

With regards to China and low build quality, i learned a while ago to disassociate any correlations. I'm in manufacturing and if you know what you're doing (and paying the right price) you can get extremely high quality goods out of China. I've long since come to the conclusion that country of origin is meaningless with regards to quality.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
How's the:

1. Build Quality
2. UI

;)

Build quality seems top notch. A few nitpicks: the polished copper on mine had a few imperfections that you couldn't see unless you really looked under good light. The right torx screw had to be tightened. Otherwise, the machining is perfect, the threads are super smooth, the titanium switch is great, the individual CNC knurling looks cool and feels great; it feels very premium.

The UI is also great. All 5 light output levels serve a useful and irreplaceable purpose. The tail switch has a very nice click both sound and feed back when turning on. Half presses cycle through modes. Holding in the switch or turning the light off for 3 seconds will reset you back to moonlight.

Wishlist: 30 second turbo, battery check, option to cycle backwards through levels with long presses. I understand the philosophies for leaving features like these out.

I expected a review from somebody by now. I'd write one but it would be my first one, I'm not good with beamshots, and I don't have a light box or light meter.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
@LogicalBeard, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. Curious about this:

"Holding in the switch or turning the light off for 3 seconds will reset you back to moonlight. "

Holding in the switch - meaning if I press an hold the switch, it will go back to moonlight?

Cool. [emoji106]

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
@LogicalBeard, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. Curious about this:

"Holding in the switch or turning the light off for 3 seconds will reset you back to moonlight. "

Holding in the switch - meaning if I press an hold the switch, it will go back to moonlight?

Cool. [emoji106]

Have you had a light where a half press cycles you through modes? The trick is to half press just like you would to cycle to the next brightness, but instead of letting go quickly, you hold it in for 3 seconds. This tricks the flashlight into thinking you have turned it off. It's a trick you can do with any reverse clicky. Just a nice trick when you want to go back to level one without clicking the flashlight off.

Edit: despite the amount of times I used the word "tricks", I am not planning on opening up a magic shop.

Last edited:

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see how cross threading is possible with these large square cut threads. I wouldn't overly worry about it, the threading is better quality than almost all lights out there

nbp

Flashaholic
I want a way to quickly access the next level, but not permanently switch to it. Not sure how to do this - I have an old Fenix with a bezel ring which might work, the SPY knob is perfect. The issue I have with the Beagle is cycling through 5 levels is a PITA. It is a 1st world problem, I accept. Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives.

I would check out HDS as Archimedes mentioned. You can easily do just this. Press and hold from a lower mode to get "fullblast" then release the button to return to the selected mode.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I would check out HDS as Archimedes mentioned. You can easily do just this. Press and hold from a lower mode to get "fullblast" then release the button to return to the selected mode.

I agree that HDS would be the way to go. If you think that the SPY knob is the ideal system, then the HDS rotary might be even more your speed.turn it one way to turn the brightness up, turn it the other way to turn the brightness down, and the button turns the light on and off. And I think there might still be a shortcut to full power.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I agree that HDS would be the way to go. If you think that the SPY knob is the ideal system, then the HDS rotary might be even more your speed.turn it one way to turn the brightness up, turn it the other way to turn the brightness down, and the button turns the light on and off. And I think there might still be a shortcut to full power.
Yes, full power shortcut works on the Rotary, and drops back to the selected setting when you let go of the button.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owner of copper Beagle here.
One of the screw hole for the clip seem to have been thinned or damaged.
My clip will loosen every now & then, only to find that 1 of the screw hole/thread is damaged.

I removed the clip 2 times & both times i did not feel anything wrong when screwing the clip back on. And i did not over tighten the screws either.

So im kind of curious on the issue

I hv wrote in to them & they suggested that i send the light back to them to see if it can be fixed.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
@DellSuperman - thanks for the report, pls keep us posted.

Happy holidays to all.
Yes, definitely.

Other than the clip issue that i am facing, the light has been pretty awesome.

The modes are very well spread out & the no memory is something that i prefer (pretty subjective for everyone though)

The level 1 to 3 are very useful in my close up work & i hv only used 4 & 5 a few times.

1 thing that i noticed on my copy is that the gasket above the glass has some free-play.
I found this out when i was trying to clean the glass & the red gasket shifted out. I was able to move it back into place without much issue but it makes me question the tightness of the seal.

Does anyone else faces this problem?

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, definitely.

Other than the clip issue that i am facing, the light has been pretty awesome.

The modes are very well spread out & the no memory is something that i prefer (pretty subjective for everyone though)

The level 1 to 3 are very useful in my close up work & i hv only used 4 & 5 a few times.

1 thing that i noticed on my copy is that the gasket above the glass has some free-play.
I found this out when i was trying to clean the glass & the red gasket shifted out. I was able to move it back into place without much issue but it makes me question the tightness of the seal.

Does anyone else faces this problem?

I have a titanium beagle , the clip itself has held very well. Never noticed it to shift or move. I have both pocket carried the light and clip it to my pants.

with the issue of the gasket above the glass I also haven't had any issues. Tried to forcefully have it move by using my finger and is holding well.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on how the Muyshondt Flieger compares to the Beagle as far as tint? Muyshondt calls it warm white, but that can mean many things. Has anyone been able to compare them side by side? Is the Flieger warmer, cooler, similar?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
@DellSuperman - thanks for the report, pls keep us posted.

Happy holidays to all.
Hello all, after exchanging a few emails with Natalie from Muyshondt. This is what was happened:

Offered for me to send back the light for them to access with shipping at my own cost.

Given the kind of damage, the offered method of fixing is to permanently adhere the clip/screw in place. However effectiveness of this fix is not guaranteed to work (i quote: "may or may not work" according to her)

Warranty is 'voided' because clip was removed & the screw hole was deemed to be damaged by me.

All in all, i rejected the offer as they cannot guarantee the fix. Im disappointed with what happened about the clip because the light is pretty awesome for me & without a functional clip, i dont see myself using it much.

I'll try to find some options for the clip so that i can continue using the light.

Cheers
DS

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
If the problem is just that your clip screws sometimes get loose, it might be solvable with something as simple as some lock tite on the threads. You could use the red version if you want something more permanent, or the blue if you want it to be easy to remove in the future.