Any problems with running 2xAWRCR123a's with a SF KL4?

nightcop

Newly Enlightened
I had an old SF e2e body and an extra z68 tailcap. So I bought a SF KL4 lighthead off of CPF to make it a light.

Will I have any problems using 2 AWRCR123a's in it for guilt free lumens? They are protected cells right? What about over-discharge? And the uppsge in voltage of 2x3.7 instead of 2x3.0?

Thnx for helping the noob!

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will I have any problems using 2 AWRCR123a's in it (KL4) for guilt free lumens?
Only problem I can think of is they'll fry the driver. ;)

Chances are your KL4 has a Lux V emitter, and it's boost driver can handle a single Li-ion rechargeable, but not two. There was/is a later version of the KL4 with a different LED (and driver) that might be able to handle two rechargeables, but they're not nearly as common.

Depending on the age of your E2e body, it might be able to fit a 17670 Li-ion, which would work fine with the KL4. It has more energy than a pair of RCR123A's, too.

nightcop

Newly Enlightened
The KL4 is the 100 lumen version. Is that the new one? It is off a m600a scout light.

nightcop

Newly Enlightened
Only problem I can think of is they'll fry the driver. ;)

Chances are your KL4 has a Lux V emitter, and it's boost driver can handle a single Li-ion rechargeable, but not two. There was/is a later version of the KL4 with a different LED (and driver) that might be able to handle two rechargeables, but they're not nearly as common.

Depending on the age of your E2e body, it might be able to fit a 17670 Li-ion, which would work fine with the KL4. It has more energy than a pair of RCR123A's, too.

The KL4 is the 100 lumen version. Is that the new one? It is off a m600a scout light.

Also, the e2e body is the older version with the short clip. It is at least 5 years old.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your LED look like the one of the left (Seoul P4) or right (Luxeon V)?

SeoulP4andLuxeonV.jpg

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the e2e body is the older version with the short clip. It is at least 5 years old.
I've never been clear on specifically when Surefire started to narrow and/or taper the internal diameter of the E2* bodies or even if all of said bodies beyond that certain date will not accommodate a 17670. I have three different generation of E2e/E2o/L4 bodies that are 5-10 years old, and they all accept a 17670. But my more recent E2L and E2DL definitely will not.

For what it's worth, I've also never seen it confirmed one way or another if the later KL4 with a Seoul P4 can handle 2x RCR123A rechargeables. Anyone?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do know from personal experience that the driver will fry on LUX V version if 2 X RCR123's are used.
Not sure about the newer Seoul KL4's..

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I've never been clear on specifically when Surefire started to narrow and/or taper the internal diameter of the E2* bodies or even if all of said bodies beyond that certain date will not accommodate a 17670. I have three different generation of E2e/E2o/L4 bodies that are 5-10 years old, and they all accept a 17670. But my more recent E2L and E2DL definitely will not.

Thats really strange because my E2L fits unprotected 17670 perfectly. There is just a little cell rattle with the tailcap removed in all directions. I am not sure if its enough for a protected cell though.

Is mine an older version? S/N A421590
dscn2381.jpg

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do know from personal experiance that the driver will fry on LUX V version if 2 X RCR123's are used.
Not sure about the newer Seoul KL4's..

First time I ever heard that.. The old KL1's have always been okay with 9V, but I admit to never having run a KL4 on two lithium ion cells, only a 17670. Do you know if the KL4 used a different driver? Now that makes me curious about the KL4a's max voltage capability.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats really strange because my E2L fits unprotected 17670 perfectly. There is just a little cell rattle with the tailcap removed in all directions. I am not sure if its enough for a protected cell though.
Yup. That's why I prefix the majority of my statements about Surefire with something like "I've never been clear..." :sick2:

My E2L looks exactly like yours, but the ID is tapered towards the tailcap so that my AW 17670s can't be inserted all the way in, even with the label removed. The same is true of my E2DL.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Direct drive at say 7.4V, when the KL4 boost driver is designed for Vbatt<Vf (which for a Luxeon V is probably about 6.5V at the drive current used in a typical KL4), is going to result in a high forward current sent to the LED. Based on the Lux V datasheet, it could be about 1.5A. If any component in the direct drive path isn't rated for that current level, something could easily fry.

nightcop

Newly Enlightened
Does your LED look like the one of the left (Seoul P4) or right (Luxeon V)?

SeoulP4andLuxeonV.jpg

It has the P4 emitter on the left. I just got it today and I noticed that it is brighter with 2xcr123's than a AW 17670. If it is regulated, why would it matter if it is getting 6.0v or the 3.7v AW? Can I run 2 of the AW rcr123's in it and will it be brighter than the single AW 17670?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has the P4 emitter on the left. I just got it today and I noticed that it is brighter with 2xcr123's than a AW 17670. If it is regulated, why would it matter if it is getting 6.0v or the 3.7v AW? Can I run 2 of the AW rcr123's in it and will it be brighter than the single AW 17670?
That makes sense. The old KL4 w/Lux V used a boost converter to raise the voltage for the LED. The new KL4 w/SSC P4 uses a buck converter to restrict the current. With the 17670, it's dropping out of regulation and reducing the current even more.

2x RCR123 might work with the new KL4, but definitely confirm that with someone who's actually tried it. I've read of other current 2x123 Surefires (like the LX2) running fine on RCR123's, but don't recall seeing anyone post about that new KL4.

Scottiver

Enlightened
If you do end up using 2x 3.7v cells, please make sure that they are both evenly charged before using. Bad things can happen when two dissimilarly charged cells are used together, such as the ever popular "vent with flame". :aaa:

Nathan

Enlightened
Just picked up a new KL4 and thanks to JC's pic, confirmed that it is the SSC 120 lumen version ("KL4a" to CPFers).

Also confirmed that it is underdriven with a 17670.

I'm not brave enough to try two 3.7V RCR's though...

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have briefly run a KL4, Lux5 driver, on 2x LiFe batteries at 3.3 volts nominal.

Briefly, not due to driver issues, but the damaged LED in the head started to let the magic smoke out... :duck:

Used them because said damaged LED seemed to have suffered Vf shift, and wanted to see if there was an electrical path at all. Gets hot fast, though.