Anybody disappointed in SF's new Kroma?

IonFire

Enlightened
The more i look at it, the more i like it.
Its all business to me, body of the U2 as mentioned, and a Multi functioning head.(Also, when this bad boy is on, you can't see the oddly looking to us now front end.)
The U2 has a pretty thick head on it, is this any more or less then that, it looks about the same, just not cone shaped. So if ya can't pack a U2 in your pocket, you probably wont pack this one anyways.

Beamshots would go along way towards loving or hating it imho.
And, can it gulp down Li-Ions?

leukos
but I am interested in the SF single-cell pocket rocket that folks at SHOT are referring to.

ooo,whats this, i haven't seen mention of a new single yet anywhere, maybe i am blind, any thread links with the gossip on this one handy?

IF

Sburr23

Newly Enlightened
I think with all the competitors Surefire now has with the lower priced lights, SF is just trying to put out new high end lights, even if there isn't a real need for the lights. They are just putting as many bells and whistles on their lights as they can, and are then testing the market to see how much people will pay for these lights.

I don't need bells and whistles, I just need a good light, at a fair price. Surefire only has one overpriced light, the G2, the prices only get worst from there. I hate the fact that I own a number of their lights, but if you want the best tactical lights, you have to pay their price. SF knows this, and prices their lights accordingly.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting to see where SF is going these days with the abundance of relatively high quality lights from other manufacturers. The only way Surefire can compete is to do it in a niche area. The Kroma seems like a continuation of that philosophy. Whether it is innovative enough to sell at street prices in the $250+ range in the next few months is the question. I too was somewhat disappointed when I saw the Kroma but I will probably try one out for size anyways. Surefires do hold their value and if it turns out I really don't like it, I can probably sell it and recoup some of my cost. It's the price of flashaholism.

Flashlight Enthusiast
WilsonCQB1911 said:
Yeah, it's too early to tell yet, but I couldn't help but being disappointed after hearing what their secret new release is.

It's a slightly fancier A2, but the bezel looks like it's going to be as big as the U2 (couldn't really tell in the pics), so while the length is shorter it's going to be just as difficult to EDC. I don't know, I was kind of hoping for something that would blow me out of the water and replace my U2 as my favorite light.

This just didn't do it for me... and the asking price of $300 seems a bit high at that.

I don't know, I just expect great things from SF and maybe I ask for too much. As much as it pains me to say it, I think I'll pass on the Kroma.

Very disapointed I am, and not interested in buying a Kroma.

Is this their only new offering for 2006?? :(

IonFire

Enlightened
Excellent, thanks for the link Leukos.:grin2: Hey, 357 read post number 18, and for the link to mention of others being seen at SHOT.

Wow, infinately variable,single cell, yup, im all ears.:rock:
Sorry for the o/t.

IF

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light offers alot to military, hunters, cops, etc. Nightvision preservation is needed by cops, hunters, astronomers, military, pilots so those red leds will be useful to alot of people. The blues might be a bit more specialized but the cost of putting them there adds very little to the cost of manufacture and hunters, cops, forensics, field biologist folks will use them.

CPFers tend to have EDC tunnelvision. This light isn't an edc. This light is a "professionals" light and looks like it can help alot of folks do there jobs a bit easier. Surefire is also using there noggins in targeting professionals since the high price will be paid by organizations or at the least individuals can claim a tax deduction.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single cell SF looks interesting, but I'm not crazy about "infinitely" variableness of it...it would be nice to have settings and stick to them, rather than having to play with some kind of dimmer switch everytime the light needs adjustment.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Whilst I love Surfire stuff I cant be labelled as a SF afficionado as I enjoy many different manufacturers products. However, give Surefire a break guys! How any of us can be disappointed in this light until it is evaluated by some of our own bretherin? I mean it may or may not be better than the small amount of information that we are in possession of at the moment,right?

I suppose the price point may be high and disappointment could come from realising that it will be out of the range of some folks pockets (mine included) but until we are in full possession of all the facts about this light it is kinda premature to make rash statements on its performance or other aspects of this light?

Doug

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
357 said:
The single cell SF looks interesting, but I'm not crazy about "infinitely" variableness of it...

The infinitely variable nature of this light is the reason why there are no pictures. Apparently, someone grabbed the light weeks ago, went into a dark room determined to get to the lowest brightness level, and has been there ever since. Apparently, it halves the current level to get to the next lowest level.:crackup:

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
can we get a link on the single cell please? what is it?

-David

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
The infinitely variable nature of this light is the reason why there are no pictures. Apparently, someone grabbed the light weeks ago, went into a dark room determined to get to the lowest brightness level, and has been there ever since. Apparently, it halves the current level to get to the next lowest level.:crackup:

The name is misleading too. The light cannot vary indefinitely upwards....it is simply not possible for LEDs to get beyond a certain output without being overwhelmed by heat.

I suspect the light gets up to 30-40 lumens when cranked all the way up, and the dimmer switch allows one to dial down to 0 lumens (i.e. 0 lumens to 30-40 lumens covered, with these middle values being indefinite)

Pure speculation of course, I be interested in seeing the real specs when they comes out.

nc987

Enlightened
Is this their only new offering for 2006??

No, more to come later in the year.....

Seems like everyone is bashing this light before anyone here has even had a chance to try it out or evaluate it in anyway except from a picture. You have to realize SureFire is always making new lights and this is just one step their pursuit to make the best flashlights out there. We've seen the Darpa pics for awhile and this is just the first of many new advancements SureFire will bring to the table soon, the pocket rocket being another. Anyone here that has followed Surefire for awhile knows they are constantly trying out new technologies, and that is what this light represents. We'll have to wait and see what this light really can do before passing judgement. And really, who cares what a flashlight looks like, my friends are never like "whoa thats an awesome looking light, i bet you get alot of chicks with that thing!". Everyone is just surprised at the beam quality and brightness because really thats that a flashlight is all about.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This light offers ... high and low beam (white) with 60lm max, which is good. If it runs for 2h on high it kills every other incan light in that class ... E2e is 1h for the same lumens!
Further more, you have multi-color access with a different beam spread.
And all this with a KISS interface and SF quality.

Frankly ... I can see a lot of professionals liking this light. It has a lot to offer. And it is alone out there ... no other light can do this.

My only hope would be for different colors of the LEDs, but that won't happen I guess.

I reallly do not understand why one can bash this light just because he doesn't need it. This behaviour is utterly selfish and blind. There are other people out there who will be delighted with the light. Be fair and judge the quality, interface etc. but don't stomp on a tool just because it isn't intended to be used by you.

bernie

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Kiessling, I don't know if that comment was directed at me or not... all I'm saying is that I was really hoping for something that I would want to drop my money on, and the Kroma kind of disappointed me. It doesn't do anything for me that I need and that my other lights don't do better. I'm not bashing the light itself, just disappointed in that it's not something that I want to buy. I was really hoping for something truly cool for me. I'm not saying that the light sux or anything like that.

I was also kind of hoping that it would have the ability to strobe, which is the only thing I really miss on the U2 or something else cool like that.

There are a lot of great lights out there that I don't buy... not because I think they're terrible lights, but just because they don't do it for me, you know? I was hoping that the new SF would be a lot that did something for me, but it isn't.

Flashlight Enthusiast
ditto what wilson said...

the kromo does nothing for me either. i'm sure it will prove to be the fine light, i just don't have interest in it.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT!!!! it is a single cell! WOW... I am buying one if it isnt too long.

-David

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, wait - the Kroma is the single cell? Or is there another light that is the single cell were all talking about?

If the Kroma is the single cell, that will ROCK! 60 lumens on 1 cr123a would be AWESOME. The battery savings alone would be worth it in the long haul.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that is a misprint,

I read somewhere that it was a 2 cell light,cant remember/find the link anymore.

Allthough it would be great if there would be two versions ;)
Or swappable bodies for it.

Benny

PS:We need more specs :poke: